Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Source Android project

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Just forked and got it with smart git. Hope I can help as I have a 3 account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Upcoming functionality for notification alerts of internet add-on expiring:
    https://github.com/DamienOReilly/My3Usage/issues/2

Pushed newer code.. newer gfx also. Analysis and review it if you like:

https://github.com/DamienOReilly/My3Usage

This application's name and logo's are in the process of been changed, due to discussions with Three. See below.

Application will be called something like: Phone Credit Checker
    Logo will possibly be:
    AJUxI1o.png
    Or:
    z5RbB5i.png

Could a Mod please change the title of this thread also please?

Hello. My name is Damien O'Reilly.

I have developed NON PROFIT, NON COMMERCIAL, OPEN SOURCE application that allows My3 3Pay customers check their credit using their android in an efficient convenient manner. This application will never be used for profit or commercial purposes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=damo.three.ie The application description states that the app nor the author is affiliated with "Hutchison 3G Ireland Limited"

Its source code is published here: https://github.com/DamienOReilly/My3Usage

My question to you is:
    Do I have formal permission to use the "Three" logo in my application? Are Hutchison 3G Ireland Limited OK with this? Do they prefer it is removed?

Can you please forward this mail to the relevant interested personnel who may be able to answer the query in this message.

Thank you.

Hi Damien,
    I've checked this with out legal team and I'm afraid we cannot approve use of any Three logos or related branding, Sorry,
    Thanks
    Julie

Hi does that mean that it is ok to continue with the application once the Three logo's are removed ?

Hi, please be aware neither myself of the app claims to represent Three. The user is informed of this and it us the users choice whether they wish to use this application.

It merely is an application to parse and aggregate a user's prepay usage data, and only their data.

I am currently in the process of removing Three's copyrighted logo's with free non-copyrighted material.

Hi Damien,
    I'm afraid we will not give any blessing or approval for anyone to represent Three unless it comes from one of our authorized channels and has been thoroughly checked and approved as it raises security concerns.
    Thanks,
    Julie

Hi, please be aware neither myself of the app claims to represent Three. The user is informed of this and it us the users choice whether they wish to use this application.

It merely is an application to parse and aggregate a user's prepay usage data, and only their data.

I am currently in the process of removing Three's copyrighted logo's with free non-copyrighted material.

Hi Damien,

I'm sorry but our legal team have advised that we consider this to be unlawful use of intellectual property and terms of use.

Julie

I'm not really sure what the "unlawful use of intellectual property" is then. Can you please clarify?

Also what is the violation of terms of use?

This application accesses the my3account.three.ie URL. How is this different than accessing it via Chrome/Firefox? Do the browsers also fall into the unlawful use then also?

Also do the webtext applications that use webtext.three.ie also fall into this category? Because as far as I'm aware, they are been allowed to operate without concern.

Hi Damien,

Please see below for update from our legal team:

Essentially, all rights, including copyright in Three Services and their content, belong to us. The ‘Three’ trademark and other related images, logos and names on Three Services are proprietary marks of our group of companies, including My3. We reserve all our rights with regards to the former.

We are not engaging in any further correspondence.

Sorry we can't help you with this,
    Julie

I have a feeling the legal team doesn't really see the technical point of view I'm coming from.

The "Three" trademark and other related images, logo's etc.. are been removed. The wording "My3" is been removed. The application has no branding what-so ever that contains 3 copyright material. It is a generic application that happens to access https://my3account.three.ie in the same way other internet applications do.

If you are saying "Three Services and their content" is copyright e.g. my usage information is copyright of three... this is merely an application that accesses your website. In the same way that Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome does. Are you's restricting how a user accesses your website? What tools/browsers they can use?

I am taking it that if the application contains absolutely no branding from 3, that the legal team have no grounds for issues with this application, and that is what the issues were in the first place.

I will post a history of this conversation online for people using this application to be informed as to why its name and logo's are changing.

Also, I believe 3 should show more friendliness for such apps, since they don't provide a similar app themselves. This app has 1,600 users and growing each day. Users are also requesting new functionality. It seems like the public want this!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I don't see where the illegality would come from in a technical sense. I'd remove all branding references as you have done and leave it up there. If you get sent further legal correspondence after that then I'd re-evaluate. Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Yeah that reads very like they cannot condone a project like that.... and are careful to not be seen to give any indication of approval lest it bite them later on.

I can't see them pursuing you to actually stop however! I'd say to do what Niall suggested.

Also, just thinking that although you clearly specify that you are developing in a non-profit/commercial manner that as it is an open source project there is nothing stoping someone else developing it into something more.

Cliste wrote: »
    Yeah that reads very like they cannot condone a project like that.... and are careful to not be seen to give any indication of approval lest it bite them later on.

I can't see them pursuing you to actually stop however! I'd say to do what Niall suggested.

Also, just thinking that although you clearly specify that you are developing in a non-profit/commercial manner that as it is an open source project there is nothing stoping someone else developing it into something more.

Cheers lads. Yes I'm doing all the painful GFX work again. And I'm rubbish at GFX stuff! Although GIMP makes life easier.

New version pushed to Google Play should keep Three happy.

Advertisement