Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Electric Ireland customer - Prepay meter problems

Options
  • 02-08-2013 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I'm a new customer of electric Ireland with the Pay as You Go meter. I already have a pre-pay power electricity box that I top up like you would with mobile credit. Each time I top up, the full balance of what is on my account is there. For example, if I have €5.00 then top up with €20 it will show up on my screen as €25.

However, when I signed up to the prepay meter, they promised me €10 credit to start with, which I got in the end. I didn't know how long this would last me so I got my first top-up of €20 for the meter and inserted the card. Like in the instructions, I pressed 'A' waited for confirmation, and then it said €20 ON. After this, the previous €9.50 disappeared from the meter reading. 

If I have 9.50 on the reading and top up 20 I want it to show up as 29.50 afterwards so I can build up week by week for the winter. Is there a way of doing this? I also received a bill for €120 which I have since paid and on the back it said €97 for meter. Have I paid for this meter in full now? My initial deal was for them to take 2.50 out of every €10 I put in till it was paid off. Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi calmcghee93,
    calmcghee wrote:
    I'm a new customer of electric Ireland with the Pay as You Go meter. I already have a pre-pay power electricity box that I top up like you would with mobile credit.

Just to clarify - are you using two different meters at the same time? And when you say pre pay power, do you mean the supplier (see here for the list of licensed electricity suppliers in Ireland), or are you just referring to the type of meter?

If you switched from PrePayPower to Electric Ireland, normally the meter installed by PrePayPower would be removed and you would revert to a standard electricity meter. The Pay As You Go meters installed by Electric Ireland are generally reserved for customers in arrears, and aren't designed to operate in a pre-pay manner (as with mobile for phones, for instance). A certain portion of a top up will go towards clearing arrears, usually 25%, as you indicate above.

We have a list of frequently asked questions concerning our Pay As You Go meters here. If you can PM us your Electric Ireland account details, we will be able to look into your query further.

Thanks,
    David

Advertisement