Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting and Finance: Griffith College Dublin or Dublin Business School

Options
  • 02-08-2013 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Hi

Currently I am researching doing a degree in Accounting and Finance in either Griffith College Dublin or Dublin Business school on a part time basis. I plan to visit both in the coming weeks with a view to a possible start in September. Could anybody who attended either or both share their experiences in order to make my decision easier?

Some questions I have:

How did you find the course while working in full time employment?
    How did you find the lecturers?
    How were class sizes and one to one tuition if required?
    How did you find the campus and facilities?
    Is there a difference in reputation between the two colleges? For example would more people gain employment within ' the big 4' from Griffith or DBS?

My background is that I have worked for the past 6 years in banking and operations since I finished school. I am hoping a degree can further my career as it seems stagnated at the moment and my department, where there has been a steady decline in work volume is due to be outsourced soon. I feel now is the time to start studying and be prepared for when the inevitable redundancy happens whilst at the same time start to look for other employment.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I look forward to any responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Norderburse

Hi OP

I've just finished my first year at DBS, so while I can't answer all of your questions, hopefully this will give you some idea!
    How did you find the course while working in full time employment?
    This is a challenge, but that will be the case with any part-time study. It was a double-edged sword in that the (Level 1, at least) modules featured a lot of continuous assessment which took a lot of time but eased the pressure at the end of the year.

How did you find the lecturers?
    Only had experience of 4 or 5 so far, but with one exception, they were excellent.
    How were class sizes and one to one tuition if required?
    About 30/40 in each class - class size never seemed an issue. Tutors were very available for one to one consultation and feedback, I'm not aware of one to one tuition being offered.
    How did you find the campus and facilities?
    No complaints, very well organised and kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 orla201

Hi guys,

I know this thread is old but hoping for a response. I'm considering a career change into banking/finance and I was looking at doing the evening Degree in Finance and Accounting at DBS.
    Just wondering how you guys are getting on? I already have a degree so at first I was considering the post graduate diploma in accounting in DIT but this is a full time intense course, where as the B.A is part time over 4 yrs and it would allow me to continue working and fund myself.

Any info would be appreciated. Like workload, intense of manageable while working? Pass rate of exams? Also do you think I could gain employment in the sector during my study, like in 2nd or 3rd yr as I continue to study?

Thanks Orla.

Advertisement