Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives advice

Options
  • 02-08-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering about electives. The electives you pick in year one, do you have to continue those through the 4 years or can you drop and take up any electives you want through the 4 years?

im looking at studying theoretical physics, am i better off doing electives in the same field or pick up "easier" electives due to the workload of the degree?

Also how bad is it trying to get a place on your chosen electives? Do you need to be ready to login as soon as you can register for them? Also are you shown the timetables for electives before choosing? assuming you will already have your timetable for core modules before you get to choose?

I still dont really get the whole "Elective thing". Do you even have to do electives at all? Ive heard of some people with 60 credits already in their degree for 1st year and they didnt have to do electives? Just something I heard so it could be BS.

Lastly, any suggestions on electives for science students? Not necessarily science related but ones that could be a good fit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

You can pick anything you like as an elective unless is has a restriction on it. You don't have to continue on with the ones you picked in first year.
    Some electives have more places than others. It goes to random selection if there is a high demand. I think I got emails when the demand was higher then the available places. You will be able to see what time slot the elective is in before you confirm. Keep an eye for a red circle with a white X - it will tell you if you have a conflict.

An elective has to be used. It can be used anywhere. Usually you will have 2 per year. The 60 Credits include your electives and if you want to use them in your subject area you can. Some degrees might not use electives but will still just fill up their spot with another module.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Maldesu wrote: »
    You can pick anything you like as an elective unless is has a restriction on it. You don't have to continue on with the ones you picked in first year.
    Some electives have more places than others. It goes to random selection if there is a high demand. I think I got emails when the demand was higher then the available places. You will be able to see what time slot the elective is in before you confirm. Keep an eye for a red circle with a white X - it will tell you if you have a conflict.

An elective has to be used. It can be used anywhere. Usually you will have 2 per year. The 60 Credits include your electives and if you want to use them in your subject area you can. Some degrees might not use electives but will still just fill up their spot with another module.

Thank you for the answers, much appriciated.

im thinking of doing - Astronomy (PHYC10050) and statistical modelling (STAT10060) as electives, anyone any feedback on these?

Found it hard to find a decent one for semester 2 hence the statistical modelling choice (Im already at 7 modules for semester 1 and 5 for semester 2). I figure it will come in handy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

gline wrote: »

Found it hard to find a decent one for semester 2 hence the statistical modelling choice (Im already at 7 modules for semester 1 and 5 for semester 2). I figure it will come in handy though.

Hang on, you have 7 and 5 and now you want to add another one?? Ideally, you'd have 6 and 6 each semester but if you are happy to do it that way, suit yourself.

Also, this thread might be better to ask about specific electives
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056369763

Maldesu wrote: »
    Hang on, you have 7 and 5 and now you want to add another one?? Ideally, you'd have 6 and 6 each semester but if you are happy to do it that way, suit yourself.

Also, this thread might be better to ask about specific electives
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056369763

No i have 7 and 5 now with the 2 electives i mentioned, i couldnt get it to 6 and 6 because of all the introductory modules I need to do that are only in semester 1. I'd have to drop Astronomy and pick a different semester 2 elective, but none really interested me as much as the Astronomy module thats also linked to a physics degree.

Other than today with a request no one has posted in that thread since 11-12-2011.

• Advertisement
Advertisement