Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Adventure Race 2013

Options
  • 02-08-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Good Evening All :)

After completing a personal challenge of Cycling the Ring of Kerry (180km) last month for the very first time; I have the itch to power onward and upward physically eventhough I still suffer with sciatica.

Looking at completing the Killarney Adventure Race as a complete newbie :o This coming week-end the organisers are holding work-shops for all levels in preparation and I'm lucky to have the day off so will attend. Will also be completing a 120km cycle the following day in North Kerry (all going well after this work-shop day).

The Cycling and Kayaking will be no bother for me personally; but the running is not a strong aspect for me, but I will make good time in the other aspects though, all going well in the interim :)

Would anyone else reading or lurking in here be attending or completing and would have any tips or advice they would like to share.

Many Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Here's a tip, don't do it! :D Kidding... Which course are you entering? Apparantly the 25K course is close to being fully booked according to the staff in the Outdoor shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

madcabbage wrote: »
    Here's a tip, don't do it! :D Kidding... Which course are you entering? Apparantly the 25K course is close to being fully booked according to the staff in the Outdoor shop.

Was looking at the 25km as a newbie. Not registered yet, just waiting for this workshop this w/end to see how that goes and if my confidence can be increased somewhat in the interim :)

Thanks for your reply,

Good Luck to all participating at all levels!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

This will be my first time doing the race, in fact doing any adventure race.
    Will an old pair of runners do or should I invest in a pair of trail runners and if so, any recommendations? TBH I was thinking of investing in a pair anyway for casual wear but if I get to use them for what they're meant for, all the better...
    I cycle and run already so have most of the gear required and have a small backpack that takes a platypus but is there anything else I should acquire?
    Oh and as I'll be on a road bike, do I need to change to knobbly tyres or will the Gatorskins I have on do?
    Do people use tribars?
    Thanks for any replies or suggestions.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Was looking at the 25km as a newbie. Not registered yet, just waiting for this workshop this w/end to see how that goes and if my confidence can be increased somewhat in the interim :)

Thanks for your reply,

Good Luck to all participating at all levels!

Go away with your workshops, if you live in Killarney you've got the terrain around you to train in. That workshop isnt worth the money, better off training a few evening with other people you may know. Run around the national park, cycle Molls Gap (or try!! :D) and hike a mountain every few weeks. You'll fly the 25K no problem.
    Be sure to invest in decent runners if you do do it, trail runners being preferable.
    And most importantly, go and enjoy it! No other place in the country better than Killarney for such an event. :)

madcabbage wrote: »
    Be sure to invest in decent runners if you do do it, trail runners being preferable.

Can you recommend a pair or a brand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I'd recommend these trail runners:
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/new-balance-110-mens-trail-running-shoes-213080

No to the aero bars, road bike will be fine. A lot of the course is on a rocky path so not much room to overtake and you'd need to be ballsy to keep a good speed through some of the sections.

Great event all the same, well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

I am debating about doing the 57km route for the first time, I would agree about getting out and about locally, torc steps, torc mountain and the cardiac steps are great for training. The kayak is my worry, never been in one! Think I do it anyway, might take me all day but if I can survive the ROK surely I can do this, i have done the gap cycle, and torc mountain loads of times but throw in strikeen and a jog here and there and put them all together.....I don't know.
    Has anybody tips on food for the day? What to bring and when to eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I did the team 57k last year. I did the runs, Mate1 did the cycling and Mate2 did the shortened kayak.
    I loved it and am not too disappointed that neither of them can make it this year, so I'll be doing it solo, possibly the 67k. The first run got pretty muddy in places, even though the weather was excellent. Not a big deal, but just letting you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭underpants

Tec Diver, what's the track like for running in general?

I signed up for the 69km already and normally I run wearing vibrams. My training takes me along roads, dirt trails, gravel paths and forests. I don't have any issues with any so I don't expect any problems in Killarney with the terrain.

From last years photos, the worst looks like a fairly standard mountain trail.

If you live locally it's best to scope Strickeen to get a fair idea of what the terrain is like. If your good at the trail running, going up won't be much of a bother, it's coming back down is the mad part! :O Proper footwear is a must whatever you do!

• Advertisement

underpants wrote: »
    Tec Diver, what's the track like for running in general?

I signed up for the 69km already and normally I run wearing vibrams. My training takes me along roads, dirt trails, gravel paths and forests. I don't have any issues with any so I don't expect any problems in Killarney with the terrain.

From last years photos, the worst looks like a fairly standard mountain trail.

Funny you should mention Vibrams, I did it last year in VFF KSO Treks with toe socks, no issues, loved it. Some of it is dirt track with stones, some has railway sleepers with chicken wire nailed to it, so you run them length-wise, and a lot is just grass/earth. As for food...well I'm gluten free and lowcarb/high fat, so unless you are on the same food plan then don't eat what I eat :-)

I am also coeliac so gluten free. I don't do gels...we i have never tried them, so I'm guessing to stock up on protein bars.? Any suggestions appreciated, I'm used to cycling long distances only with not trail runs included, any feed back on the training day held yesterday Saturday 10/08?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Hi Folks, I'm signed up for the 57k route and this will be my first time doing an adventure race. Can anyone give me directions as to where the Strickeen run and Torc run start and go to as I'd like to have a look before the big day. Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Nmccd wrote: »
    I am also coeliac so gluten free. I don't do gels...we i have never tried them, so I'm guessing to stock up on protein bars.? Any suggestions appreciated, I'm used to cycling long distances only with not trail runs included, any feed back on the training day held yesterday Saturday 10/08?

Chia gels might be worth a look?

http://blog.walkjogrun.net/2013/03/13/homemade-energy-gels-for-runners/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Ath trasna wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I'm signed up for the 57k route and this will be my first time doing an adventure race. Can anyone give me directions as to where the Strickeen run and Torc run start and go to as I'd like to have a look before the big day. Thanks..

For Strickeen- start at Kate Kearney's, follow the road uphill for about 6-700m, and just after it crests there's a mountain rescue sign on the right. A zig-zag track starts here and you can follow this until it stops on the bog on top- the end has a small cairn. From here you have the Reeks straight ahead, the bog leads on to Cnoc an Bhraca to the right, and Strickeen summit is to the left. There's a rougher track to the summit of Strickeen, it can be tricky to find the top of the zigzags on the way back so be careful! Not sure if the KAR goes to the very top from the map?

For Torc, either start at Muckross house and follow the signs for Torc Waterfall, or at the Waterfall carpark, run up the track to the waterfall and follow the track as it doubles back a bit and then heads steeply uphill (lots of steps) before meeting the Old Kenmare Road, turn right onto this, and follow it south until you come out onto open bogland. There's a cutting on the right about 500m along here where the sleeper track starts, and this is pretty easy to follow right to the top of Torc.

Both are super runs, well worth doing beforehand because you can find the steeper bits and the bits where you can unleash the fury a little bit. Very runnable and nothing technical to them, and great views from the tops. I always bring a jacket, and phone and tell someone where I'm gone in case of twisted ankle. Strickeen is a bit wet underfoot unless it's the drought of the century.

The worst bit of the whole route is the drag through the Black Valley after the turn off for Lord Brandon's. Terrible road, slightly uphill and usually into the wind...grim!

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Strickeen is a bit wet underfoot unless it's the drought of the century.

After the dry summer we've had, if anyone's been up there recently, what are ground conditions like?

Also was looking at trail runners, does the course call for a more aggressive sole? For example, if I was buying Salomons, should I go for the Speedcross 3, which is described as a Mountain Trail Running Shoe over the XR Crossmax, which is described as a Door to Trail shoe?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

It's always good to train on the course if you can.

However, it's also a good idea to try out other similar races to get used to the transitions, open mountain running, racing fior 4-5 hours etc.

I'd recommend the Achill ROAR. It's a cracking race and a great weekend away.

Nmccd wrote: »

I use Maximuscle Promax Meal protein bars. They are low carb and not too expensive. I also eat almonds and walnuts on the bike, I take them in a small plastic sandwich bag in the cycle jersey. I'll have water in the camelbak on the day, haven't decided what to put in the bike's water bottle yet. Won't be a "sports drink" though as I don't eat/drink sugar either.

Thanks a lot MrCreosote, hoping to get there next week for a look.

Can people tell me what they normally bring along for food/energy boost on the day? Which energy drinks work better in peoples opinions?

Ath trasna wrote: »
    Can people tell me what they normally bring along for food/energy boost on the day? Which energy drinks work better in peoples opinions?

You'd want to be trying out different bars/gels because some can cut the stomach out of ya from what I've heard. Chain Reaction is doing good deals on High5 energy gear for about 8 quid roughly on sale.
    Saying that, you can't beat the auld banana/ mars bar and water!

• Advertisement

Spins wrote: »
    After the dry summer we've had, if anyone's been up there recently, what are ground conditions like?

Also was looking at trail runners, does the course call for a more aggressive sole? For example, if I was buying Salomons, should I go for the Speedcross 3, which is described as a Mountain Trail Running Shoe over the XR Crossmax, which is described as a Door to Trail shoe?

BUMP!

Yeah madcabbage, I think I'll stick with the auld banana and mars bars, won't be breaking any records anyway, will be just happy to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Anyone know if I'll be ok on a road bike or should I use a cross or mtb?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Best of Luck to all participating this year!

I've ruled myself out due to lack of confidence right now. Anywhoo, I went & bought myself a Garmin gadget device thingymagig to aid my Mountain Skills so shall focus on that and my cycling for now I think.

Thanks though to all thus far for the tips and advice in this thread.

Massive Support,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Best of Luck to all participating this year!

I've ruled myself out due to lack of confidence right now. Anywhoo, I went & bought myself a Garmin gadget device thingymagig to aid my Mountain Skills so shall focus on that and my cycling for now I think.

Thanks though to all thus far for the tips and advice in this thread.

Massive Support,
    kerry4sam

Where did ya buy the Garmin out of curiosity? And how much?

SomeFool wrote: »
    Anyone know if I'll be ok on a road bike or should I use a cross or mtb?

I only have a hybrid, but should be ok. My mate did the cycle stages on his road bike last year and didn't have any issues.

Does the cycle route actually go through the gap of Dunloe? was up there yesterday and the road is pretty poor for the first 1 or 2 km, fairly cut up and pot holed.

Thanks MrCreosote your directions were spot on. I think I need to step up the training, went up the steps at Torc and nearly needed a ventilator afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

The cycle is up through the Gap- then through the Black Valley, to Moll's Gap and down the N71 to Muckross.

The surface in the Gap is a bit variable, but if you have the choice I'd definitely go for a road bike. I was up there in June and they've resurfaced the road for a stretch after the first bridge in the Gap- it's smoother than a German Autobahn now. Descent into the Black Valley is loose in places

I was up there Sunday last, boggy, wet and shoes got soaked! Great trek though!

• Advertisement

MrCreosote wrote: »
    The cycle is up through the Gap- then through the Black Valley, to Moll's Gap and down the N71 to Muckross.

Never cycled Molls Gap, how does it compare to say the Healy Pass or Sally Gap? Is Molls Gap the toughest climb on the course?

Advertisement