Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Adventure Race 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

It's not a difficult climb from the Black Valley, much easier than the Healy pass anyway.

The toughest parts of the cycle are a short bit in the Gap above the lakes- It's pretty steep (15% at steepist I'd say, but short)- and the drag through the second half of the Black Valley. Slightly uphill, bumpy road surface and exposed to the wind. You then hang a left for the climb to Moll's Gap which is only about 100m ascent in 1.5k and nowhere really steep.

Wonderful descent off Moll's Gap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Anybody try the King of the Steps/ King of the Gap challenge yet? Just did the front of Torc aka Cardiac Hill (I think!) for the first time tonight! Great training but my god it's a lung opener! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Anyone know of any good areas to do a bit of hilly trail running in South Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Another Question.
    What do you do about shoes?
    Do people wear their trail runners for the entire and put pedals with straps on their road bike
    or
    do people change from runners to bikes shoes then back to runners, all the time carrying the shoes they're not wearing in their backpack?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jos37

As regards to changing shoes from running-cycling etc. I would def be in favour of using the one pair (trail shoes) for the entire race. why carry the extra 'baggage' and time lost changing 3 times. just use pedals with baskets or normal pedals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

Will the 67Km race sell out?

How late can you leave it

Doing WAR on the 14th and Sea2Summit in November and this looks like a great race

Well I was on the phone to a few buddies who were entering there this evening and it looks like a good few waves are full for 67K and 57K routes. Better to get it in now then leave it cause you'll be left disappointed otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Doing WAR on the 14th and Sea2Summit in November and this looks like a great race

I booked the 67k last month, but I think it sold out with weeks to go last year.
    I'm doing Powerscourt too, but p1ssed off that I have to get to Carrickmines to pick up the race pack Thursday or Friday!!
    Not sure about Sea2Summit, might do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

Tec Diver wrote: »
    I booked the 67k last month, but I think it sold out with weeks to go last year.
    I'm doing Powerscourt too, but p1ssed off that I have to get to Carrickmines to pick up the race pack Thursday or Friday!!
    Not sure about Sea2Summit, might do...

Thanks, better make a decision soon so...

Having to go to Carrickmines is a pain in the ass, why they just cant post the numbers out to you and give you your goody bag after the race is beyond me.

The WAR races are very enjoyable

Thanks, better make a decision soon so...

Having to go to Carrickmines is a pain in the ass, why they just cant post the numbers out to you and give you your goody bag after the race is beyond me.

The WAR races are very enjoyable

Just got an email back from the organizers, we can pick up the race packs on the day before 10:00 :D

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭William Gates

Does anybody have a discount code for Octobers Killarney adventure race?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Moved from H&F to TDAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sparkles2012

Do you have to bring a bag for the safety kit or can you just have them on you?

Also im doing the 27km would I manage without trail runners for that the only run on that route is the Torc Mountain Run - 8km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Do you have to bring a bag for the safety kit or can you just have them on you?

Also im doing the 27km would I manage without trail runners for that the only run on that route is the Torc Mountain Run - 8km

You can have the safety kit on you, I'd recommend trail runners for Torc. It's sleepers most of the way but some boggy ground along the route and sleepers can be seriously slippy if wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

Registration is at the INCE Killarney. What and where is this?

former wrote: »
    Registration is at the INCE Killarney. What and where is this?

It's part of the Gleneagle Hotel found out the Muckross Road, 5 minutes from the town center.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sparkles2012

Sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

Hi all

Doing my first adventure race in Killarney in a few weeks and just have a quick question in relation to gear.

I want to wear trail runners and then clip on bike shoes for the bike . Can I just leave the specific gear in the transition area rather than carrying the extra shoes in the bag. Not much room and don't want to carry more than I have to!

Thanks

nok2008 wrote: »
    Hi all

Doing my first adventure race in Killarney in a few weeks and just have a quick question in relation to gear.

I want to wear trail runners and then clip on bike shoes for the bike . Can I just leave the specific gear in the transition area rather than carrying the extra shoes in the bag. Not much room and don't want to carry more than I have to!

Thanks

Id imagine you can but would you really wanna leave expensive cycling shoes lying around? Maybe if ya had a wire lock that you could use to secure them to the bike. So many people coming and going you wouldn't know if they would be swiped!!

nok2008 wrote: »
    Hi all

Thanks

You'll take more time changing into and out of runners. I don't think it's worth it. I did the Powerscourt AR on Saturday and most people used their trail runners for the cycling too.

• Advertisement

Hi

Thanks for replies.
    I might have to rethink my strategy so but was assuming that I will need some bit of a breather at some stage and taking 20 secs to put on and off shoes can be that breather. Don't think it will be the cause of me not winning the race!!!!! Might be just in my head that I would feel more comfortable on the bike for the 35K with clip-ons i.e. not giving my head excuses that I cannot make it up the hill with the runners/pedals! Might do some cycle rides with the runners and see how I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Where exactly would you leave the cycling shoes? There's a different transition for each of the run and kayak sections, plus there's no allocation in the transition it's pretty much wherever there is space dump your bike and run.

Was thinking that it was like a Triathlon transition where you just leave them next to bike or on pedals.
    Easy enough to carry trail runners in bag when doing cycle as it would not make that much of a difference re weight.

I emailed organisers my query and they replied with the below:

Regarding your bike shoes at transition – no problem you can leave your bike shoes at transition – only problem is that you will have to bring your trail runners with you on the cycle.

The general rule of thumb with adventure racing is you must be self-sufficient i.e. your own food and water and whatever you bring you must carry. There are 2 separate transitions areas 35Km apart so you will end up bringing your runners between each and after the final run you will bring your runners from the transition area to the finish line. There is no specific area to put your bag but you can leave stuff with your bike.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

stevire wrote: »
    Where exactly would you leave the cycling shoes? There's a different transition for each of the run and kayak sections, plus there's no allocation in the transition it's pretty much wherever there is space dump your bike and run.

The last race like this I did I had my run shoes in a small rucksack and left my cycle shoes with the bike. It was bike drop areas with no racks (literally bike 'drop') but no bother with that.

Race organisers just announced that the 67k route is fully booked...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi guys,
    If anyone is looking for high 5 we will have a stand there.
    Make sure to ask for myself and ill look after you.

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    If anyone is looking for high 5 we will have a stand there.
    Make sure to ask for myself and ill look after you.

Ask for BlahBlah? I wont get funny looks thrown at me will I?... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

madcabbage wrote: »
    Ask for BlahBlah? I wont get funny looks thrown at me will I?... :pac:

No LOL!
    Be only 2 of us there at the stand anyway.
    Just mention boards to get a discount :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 annieq

Hi, entered in d 27km race, got a place in d 11am wave but really anxious to get a spot in the first wave (10am). Wondering if anyone would be willing to swap with me or if not racing for some reason would they give me their spot. It would be really really appreciated. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Does anyone know if we will have access to the bikes at Kate Kearneys on the morning of the race before the 1st run/climb.
    Just wondering if it would be possible to leave stuff like a jacket/drink etc with the bike on the morning or do you have to leave everything there the night before.

Advertisement