Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Adventure Race 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 annieq

Ath trasna wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we will have access to the bikes at Kate Kearneys on the morning of the race before the 1st run/climb.
    Just wondering if it would be possible to leave stuff like a jacket/drink etc with the bike on the morning or do you have to leave everything there the night before.

On the Killarney Adventure page there is a contact page. They are brilliant to reply. There is a mobile number for Oliver & hell get back to you ASAP with any queries you have if he doesn't answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 aerotuned

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Race organisers just announced that the 67k route is fully booked...
    I booked mine today and got the 59k ok

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

Hi all, I ran up streken and cycled the gap plus jogged to dundag and and back to torc yesterday, tough going, was very tired today. I reckon cycling through the gap will be the toughest part of the race. Oh god, I hope I reg the correct level for me.57km.i am a rookie at this lark! I was going to go without and gels etc...but after yesterday I don't know....I think I might need something.

Nmccd wrote: »
    Hi all, I ran up streken and cycled the gap plus jogged to dundag and and back to torc yesterday, tough going, was very tired today. I reckon cycling through the gap will be the toughest part of the race. Oh god, I hope I reg the correct level for me.57km.i am a rookie at this lark! I was going to go without and gels etc...but after yesterday I don't know....I think I might need something.
    Hi

aerotuned wrote: »
    Hi

Ha , a rookie and u done nearly the whole route 2 weeks before as a practice run, fair fec . I was going do the same but then thinking if I know what it's like to do I'd probably find some excuse on the morning of the race if it was hard as like u I'm only a novice and started a bit of training for it there sat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Today's the last day to register!

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Today's the last day to register!

Any 1 know how many doing it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

aerotuned wrote: »
    Any 1 know how many doing it ?

Over 2000 entrys according to the article in the Advertiser last weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭goalie2

Think there was only 300 odd when I did the inaugral event just after wales beat us in the QF of the WC back in 2011 It was a dull morning to conicide with our humour after the match. Last year it was stunning weather and maybe 600 odd filed and now up to 2000 and I aint doing it this year! Worse there is even a 30 minute section on Tv :)

goalie2 wrote: »
    Think there was only 300 odd when I did the inaugral event just after wales beat us in the QF of the WC back in 2011 It was a dull morning to conicide with our humour after the match. Last year it was stunning weather and maybe 600 odd filed and now up to 2000 and I aint doing it this year! Worse there is even a 30 minute section on Tv :)

When I say 2000, thats including those doing the 25k and 57k too. Probably gonna be around 300/400 doing the full one I reckon cause its 100 per wave and theres 4 different start times. I'm only guessing though.

• Advertisement

6 days and counting folks! So how is everyone set and what route is everyone entering? I'm hell for leather in the full one, never done one before so looking forward to it! :D

madcabbage wrote: »
    6 days and counting folks! So how is everyone set and what route is everyone entering? I'm hell for leather in the full one, never done one before so looking forward to it! :D

Done the cycle today plus some, nice climb but do able. looking forward now, but mate pulled out cos of football so looks like a solo effort :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Doing the 57km,first Adventure race and not very happy with the way training went, will be more than happy to finish. Any good ideas for recovery Sat eve/ Sun morning

Doing the 57km,first Adventure race and not very happy with the way training went, will be more than happy to finish. Any good ideas for recovery Sat eve/ Sun morning

There is hot tubs and massage at the glen eagle after I think .

I'm doing the full. Running isn't great due to achilles issues over the summer, but happy enough with the rest.
    Looking forward to it now!

At least it looks like we have the good weather for it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

First time doing anything like this, myself and my girlfriend doing the 27km. Looking forward to it!

Plenty of water and good healthy food including fruit & veggies. Lots of food actually :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

A load of drink in town on Sat night, sore head will make you forget sore legs. There's a free BBQ in the gleneagale backstage bar afterwards. Might be a bit of craic or would we be better heading into town?

I'm doing the 59km one with two Irish lads who are coming over from Luxembourg. Two of us have done the connemara challenge twice before but this is a step up. Training hasn't been great. 5k and 8k runs and some cycling but I should get round, I'll walk as needed (uphill).

Looking for a bit of advice from past participants,
    Do people normally lock up their bikes when leaving them at the transition area on the Friday?
    Are there shower facilities available at the Finishing area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

1. 1 litre or 2 litre bladder in bag?
    2. Jersey and baselayer or jersey and no baselayer?

Thoughts please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Spins wrote: »
    1. 1 litre or 2 litre bladder in bag?
    2. Jersey and baselayer or jersey and no baselayer?

Thoughts please.

1 1l max - bring more water (w electrolyte in it) on your bike as you don't have to lug it up Strikeen on first run

2. Weather dependent
    Jersey prob ok with light jacket for backup if cold on descents.
    Last year there was freezing fog in the black valley for the earlier waves at least and it was very cold. some folk had to stop and put on jackets, gloves, etc so come prepared :-)!

Some contest in store up front - Tim O D the def favourite but not certain to start - Formguide at http://www.msai.ie/adventure-race-ireland-organiser-points-series.php has my view on it but sure to be some surprises in store with such a big field from tri, adv race, mtn running, biking, etc all having a crack at it :D

When does the challenge to run cardic hill finish on strava ?

Best of luck to everyone racing tomorrow, please god the weather will hold up! :rolleyes:

Is there some where to tog off tomo morning or come all kitteded out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

Just made the mistake of trying to get up out of bed after doing the KAR yesterday....................oh f###. Not sure if there's a muscle in my body not hurting but loved every minute of it.

Feeling the pain after KAR yesterday, not looking forward to tomorrow when i'll prob feel pain in more muscles I didn't know I had.

It was brilliantly organised, loads of marshals on the course and plenty of encouragment from everyone, had a great day and looking forward to KAR14

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

I also enjoyed the race but the route planning wasn't great for the numbers involved. The start at Kate Kearneys was a bit choatic with runners heading off, others comming back down the road and then cycling back up the road again. Also the having the same route for accent and desent of Torc and Strickeen on narrow paths meant a lot of stopping and stepping off.

That said, there were plenty of marshals and they were very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

There's a stunning set of photos by Valerie O'Sullivan up on the Irish Times website.
    Looks like it was a great day in the west:)

• Advertisement

Legs are shot to bits after Saturday! :eek: Can't believe how good the weather was for it, like a summer's day! Roll on KAR 2014! ;)

Advertisement