Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Adventure Race 2013

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Peterx wrote: »
    There's a stunning set of photos by Valerie O'Sullivan up on the Irish Times website.
    Looks like it was a great day in the west:)

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/galleries/killarney-adventure-race-1.1551884

• Registered Users Posts: 47 aerotuned

Where 2 next ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Sea to Summit is on in Westport on 9th Nov....

Ya seen that alright , but might stay closer to home and the €95 is a as steep as the sea to summit, maybe hell mountain looks like fun ,as my legs still hurt from the 59 k :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 john lanigan

hi.I did the 27k in 3hours 10, do you guys think hell mountain is a bit of a big ask after that,glad of any comments ta

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

Reporting after competing the 59k route of Killarney adventure race 2013, after a bad week prior to the event, painful shoulder injury playing up, along with very scary nervousness on Friday i was thinking omg what am i doing!
    Slept ok Friday night, got up, bowl of oats and off i went. Still nervous, but met lots of friendly competitors at the Glen eagle, got on the bus, got chatting to two guys..triathlon competitors! Oh lord, scary thoughts again invading my brain! Lunatic, madness, wtf thoughts! Deep breaths in and out in and out.....
    Arrived at Kate Kearneys, crazy driver honking his way through the crowds, hit a bus, continued through ......madness! Scary thoughts again followed by deep breathing .......and of we go....up strikeen, going well, ran down, got bike, off up through gap into black valley, tough in parts, chatting along the way, beautiful scenery, fantastic sun shine.should have worn sun screen! Two tourists clapping and cheering as i exited out on top....their encouragement was greatly appreciated at this stage, peddled on to Avoca, Left turn onto a welcome decent, cruising well , feeling good. Arrive into Torc, park bike and jog along to dundag while fueling up. Got a great kayak partner, crossed the lake well...I'm very new to this kayak crack....asked my partner if he could kayak. Yes....great, i hopped on front, told him to instruct me on what to do..he did, i followed, 10 minutes, dry land, great stuff. Last leg, Torc mountain...stretched, filled water camel and headed for the steps....oh no....hit the steps..cramp, cramp....not good, stretch stretch again....headhead up the steps...cramps gone...feeling good...hit old kenmare road. Pass lots of people, all struggling.....i know this route, i know every turn....i now thank god for all the times i did this route.up up up i go, getting frustrated...lots of slower competitors in front....get up, run down, i smell the finish line, got on the bike, pedal on in to Killarney, pass a few.... Feeling good....park the bike...got a place near the road...thinking ahead here. try to jog, legs are moving, i can't tell if I'm jogging...but i am moving. Up the steps, and again and again.ffs whos idea was this....three flights up...three flights down...to the finish line...and ice cream after a few stretches, fantastic feeling, feeling great. The next day the body is tired but ok, i can walk, talk.....and yes...i will be back next year. ! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭madcabbage

So whos doing Sea to summit in Westport next month? Im gone mad for pain!! :D

hi.I did the 27k in 3hours 10, do you guys think hell mountain is a bit of a big ask after that,glad of any comments ta

Hi, we'll hell mountain looks more like u do it with a few mates and just have fun along the way as it looks set up to be a bit of crack, don't worry if u can't complete it in 1-2 hours, take 2-3

madcabbage wrote: »
    So whos doing Sea to summit in Westport next month? Im gone mad for pain!! :D

Would love to do it.

• Advertisement

I'm very tempted. Could cause a divorce though if i head off again so soon ..i need to think of a plan.!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Nmccd wrote: »
    I'm very tempted. Could cause a divorce though if i head off again so soon ..i need to think of a plan.!

Sure bring the other half with ya, great craic to be had in Westport I hear! :pac:

Nice article in today's Irish Times from Ian O'Riordan who took part in the KAR.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/adventure-racing-in-killarney-takes-it-to-another-level-1.1558079

• Registered Users Posts: 7 john lanigan

aerotuned wrote: »
    Hi, we'll hell mountain looks more like u do it with a few mates and just have fun along the way as it looks set up to be a bit of crack, don't worry if u can't complete it in 1-2 hours, take 2-3

Im hoping to do it inside 4 hours as i dont know what obstacles are goin to be on mountain but it sure sounds like a day not to be missed as im fairly local n the price is right:).

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

How does the Killarney Adventure Race compare to the Gael Force- did the 57km KAR and just wondering if the Gael force would be much of a step up( or down..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

Channel 4 are showing the Killarney Adventure race next Sun 27th @ 07h55

Anybody doing paddys weekend race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭daviddenis

Yeah Cant wait. Hope weather stays like this

daviddenis wrote: »
    Yeah Cant wait. Hope weather stays like this

Fingers crossed. Did you decide on what type of bike to use? Have you checked out the route?

Yeah think racer. Going by facebook aswell. Its a gamble. Hope it pays off.

• Advertisement

daviddenis wrote: »
    Yeah think racer. Going by facebook aswell. Its a gamble. Hope it pays off.

I'm going to use a road bike with gator tyres ( think that's the correct term!) I was up there today and went along part of the 4 km "gravel" path...parts are far from"gravel"surface! I can see myself walking part of it

Oh you serious. Might go hybrid. Last thing need is punture.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

yea, that 4km was a nightmare for the road bike - especially with a large crowd on it. I had received some advice to take the road bike, but not wear cleats, just normal trail runners - turned out to be great advice. I was taking it fairly handy, but that 4km section I counted 11 people off track fixing punctures - 4 or 5 more on the trail on the way back.
    T1 <bike to run> was pretty poor too - I know it was a last minute change, but how bad must the original field have been to get replaced with "bike bays" (aka leave your bike on the ground)...

Good event helped by great weather, and the run was really spectacular.

Ya i did same changed the pedals. was very treacherous. But survived Without getting punture. Ya few last min chages but still well orgsnised. Lucky there was only 400 competing cause that was no 200 meter run start. Luckily had bike parked at front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kearnb10

Brillaint event. I Cycled Mountain Bike with road tyres and was very happy looking at carnage. Run was savage. Whole event tempts you into making mistakes ( which bike, bring water on run etc)

Advertisement