Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on car please

Options
  • 02-08-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Im thinking of buying a 1.4 petrol sxi opel astra most probably a 2008. I drove one already and liked it a lot. I just thought Id ask on here first and see what people think of them. Is there anything I should really ask about for these cars, or make sure to check?

Nearly forgot, how many km's would a petrol engine last for? I know its probably like asking the length of string, but if I bought a 1.4 with 100K what would I realistically expect to see.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is no set mileage on how long an engine will last but the general rule of thumb is if a car has been maintained correctly and serviced regularly then it should give very little trouble and all you should be spending money on is regular servicing and occasional replacement of parts due to wear and tear. I would not see 100k km on a 5 year old car as being anything to worry about as long as it has been serviced regularly and not abused.

Cannot answer on the Astra specifically though as I have never owned one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

zoe234 wrote: »
    Hi,

Im thinking of buying a 1.4 petrol sxi opel astra most probably a 2008. I drove one already and liked it a lot. I just thought Id ask on here first and see what people think of them. Is there anything I should really ask about for these cars, or make sure to check?

Nearly forgot, how many km's would a petrol engine last for? I know its probably like asking the length of string, but if I bought a 1.4 with 100K what would I realistically expect to see.

I own an 01 astra, 100k miles is nothing, once it's looked after it'l look after you, I got my astra last year around march and have put up 65,000+ miles on it so far and I've only had 2 moderate issues to deal with, they're a good car and people like them so I'd suggest going for it, you could do a lot worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 zoe234

I own an 01 astra, 100k miles is nothing, once it's looked after it'l look after you, I got my astra last year around march and have put up 65,000+ miles on it so far and I've only had 2 moderate issues to deal with, they're a good car and people like them so I'd suggest going for it, you could do a lot worse!

That sounds great. Hopefully I'll buy one this weekend.

First time buying a car from a garage is there anything I should know or ask about in dealing with garages apart from warranty?. I'm a cash buyer so hope to get a discount.

Or anything I need to know about the astra to look out for, does it have anything that affects them specificially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

To be fair your car is completely different to the one the op is looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

If thats 100.000 klm .its only 60.000 miles, thats not high mileage .
    I have 08 opel zafira 1.6 with 97,000 klm, had no trouble,but i do have it regularly serviced by opel.
    Go for it if its been looked after, you will get another 100,000k or more out of it if you look after it.
    i did own a 04 astra 1.4 (new shape) sold it with 125,000klm had no trouble with that either.

• Advertisement

Hi, so I bought the opel astra sxi 2008. And its a 1.4 petrol.

I just need advice now I dont know how to look after it. I went to halfords and there was shelves and shelves of all different oils and additives and cleaners different types of brake fluids and steering wheel oil. I dont know what Im doing :( What do I buy?

Someone said I should start the car and let it run for a few minutes in the morning before driving. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks for all the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's no real need to let it warm up, if you don't know what you're dong you're better off finding a good local mechanic who'll keep the car in check.

Well I do plan on keeping it serviced regularly. But I was told I need to buy my own oils and stuff and give it to the garage when Im leaving it in and tell them to use that because some garages will use cheap oil to save money.

And aswell I'd like to know how to do some of this stuff myself, like say if I was driving and the light came on for, lets just say brake fluid or oil or something, Id like to be able to have some on hand and fill it myself and not always rely on calling out a mechanic.

You just get the garage to service it, its only a 1.4 astra to be fair. Its the garages responsibility to do it right.
    Best not to over worry no harm in having 500ml of oil in the boot, but brake or clutch fluid shouldn't be necessary.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You just get the garage to service it, its only a 1.4 astra to be fair. Its the garages responsibility to do it right.
    Best not to over worry no harm in having 500ml of oil in the boot, but brake or clutch fluid shouldn't be necessary.

I dont know if you mean that as a good thing or bad thing?

So all I need is oil then? What do I ask for?

Would this be OK

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_498811_langId_-1_categoryId_212419_zygonArticleNum_924399_zygonGenericCode_000000_zygonId_12887432_zygonManPartNum_H+5W30+VXHOP+FL+SYN

• Advertisement

The specifics are 5w30 GM025 or equivelant.

That one you linked is grand, bear in mind you can get 5 litres for €6.50 more, and if you know anyone with a halfords card you can get a big discount, Axa insurance customers also get a discount,

What I mean about it being only an astra is that any half decent garage will either have it or will get it in with the filter. Specify it when ordering the service.

Advertisement