Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time renter

Options
  • 02-08-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

I am looking to move out and rent for the first time with my girlfriend. We are going to start looking at apartments in maynooth/lexilip area. What kind of questions should we be asking when we view a house? Is the rent negotiable at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I am looking to move out and rent for the first time with my girlfriend. We are going to start looking at apartments in maynooth/lexilip area. What kind of questions should we be asking when we view a house? Is the rent negotiable at all?

Before you sign any lease agreement, you want to be certain that you are going to stay together for the duration of the lease. There are many relationships that break down and one half moves out leaving the other to pay the full rent. Although you have the right to assign your lease, you have the hassle and possibly expense of find the new tenant as well as the extra expense of the full rent to pay by the person that stays.

As with anything, the price is always negotiable - but if you succeed in a lower rent will depend on how many fish are biting!

You need to find out what exactly you will be getting for you money - what extras you will have to pay for - bins / electric / gas etc.

If things need doing and the landlord / agent says that things will be done, get that in writing with a completion date.

Check as much of the furniture as you can, sit down on chairs, settees, check beds etc. it may be difficult later to have them replaced if, for example, the bed has an old and lumpy mattress. Try to check all electrical appliances are working, as well as taps etc.

Ask for a BER certificate which may indicate the amount it will cost you to keep the place warm in winter. Check out the area that there is no anti-social behaviour etc. Tyr to check it a different times of the day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Are you going to be applying for Rent Allowance, OP, or are you paying the rent yourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

odds_on wrote: »
    Before you sign any lease agreement, you want to be certain that you are going to stay together for the duration of the lease. There are many relationships that break down and one half moves out leaving the other to pay the full rent. Although you have the right to assign your lease, you have the hassle and possibly expense of find the new tenant as well as the extra expense of the full rent to pay by the person that stays.

As with anything, the price is always negotiable - but if you succeed in a lower rent will depend on how many fish are biting!

You need to find out what exactly you will be getting for you money - what extras you will have to pay for - bins / electric / gas etc.

If things need doing and the landlord / agent says that things will be done, get that in writing with a completion date.

Check as much of the furniture as you can, sit down on chairs, settees, check beds etc. it may be difficult later to have them replaced if, for example, the bed has an old and lumpy mattress. Try to check all electrical appliances are working, as well as taps etc.

Ask for a BER certificate which may indicate the amount it will cost you to keep the place warm in winter. Check out the area that there is no anti-social behaviour etc. Tyr to check it a different times of the day and night.

yes i am sure we will be ok relationshio wise! thanks for the rest of the advice! what is the norm for renting at the start...is it a months deposit and one months rent up front?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

fussyonion wrote: »
    Are you going to be applying for Rent Allowance, OP, or are you paying the rent yourselves?

we are both employed so not rent allowance!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

You're in a better position not claiming Rent Allowance, IMO.
    I can't really think of anything to advise you on, in that case.
    Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Chareth Cutestory

First off, congratulations on moving out for the first time!

The only advice I can give is to reiterate what odds_on said about checking everything before you sign a lease agreement. What can seem trivial at first can end up driving you to the point of insanity after a few months. Things like terrible mattresses, horribly uncomfortable furniture, poor water pressure, faulty appliances, bad mold issues. And good luck trying to get your landlord to replace any furniture just because it cripplingly uncomfortable :P I only know this from experience. No rented property will be perfect, just make sure you're both happy with it and happy enough with the landlord. It should state on your lease somewhere that if any problems arise with appliances that he/she is responsible for getting it fixed/replaced.

And yes it's usually one months rent for deposit + 1 months rent up front.

Good luck.

yes i am sure we will be ok relationshio wise! thanks for the rest of the advice! what is the norm for renting at the start...is it a months deposit and one months rent up front?
    Yes, 1 month's deposit and 1 month in advance is the norm, though I did see somewhere recently where the tenant had to pay 3 months deposit (or so he said). If you pay the deposit sometime in advance, ensure what it covers - a holding deposit or what - just in case you decide to pull out at the last moment for whatever reason. Get it in writing if it is returnable in part or full if you don't proceed to sign a lease.

Once you are in, if the landlord / agent doesn't do an entry inventory, take plenty of dated pictures of the place to show its condition and a close-up of any damage/paintwork etc..

Finally, if you have an issue with something for which the landlord is liable, advise him by phone / email as a first step; then always confirm in writing, what the problems are and what was said / agreed. Also put it in writing that the problems should be remedied within 14 days from the date of the letter (or by such and such a date). Give less time where the problem is more serious - remembering that it is not always possible to get a tradesman out "on demand". Any letter you write, keep a dated copy just in case you have to make a claim with the PRTB at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Chareth Cutestory

Yes taking dated pictures is a very good idea. I had a landlord once who tried to take money out of our deposit because the hob was badly stained. It was 15 years old for God's sake! More to the point it looked exactly the same as it had when we first moved in but a dated photograph would have been proof of this.

And if your camera doesn't have a date facility, make sure something very identifiable is in shot, like a newspaper front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Just a few things to look for that most people don't notice at a glance:

Corners on walls above and below. Mould is easily wiped off walls, but leaves a greyish stain on the paintwork. It's especially noticeable on lighter paint. If you see this in top corners of walls, or on the bottom along skirting boards, it is likely the house suffers with mould. The best place to check would be a bathroom or kitchen, where there would be more steam, but it can be seen in other rooms as well.

Do not assume that because the house feels warm when you get there, that the house will always be warm. Take your jacket off before you enter. You should be there a while, long enough at least to determine what the heat in the house is like. Most landlords/estate agents showing a premises will have the heating on a cycle and boosted before you show up. Regardless of the heat, ask what heating methods are available and if the house is insulated. If it isn't, chances are it will be cold in the winter, or at least quite expensive to heat.

If beds are made and furniture has throws/blankets on them, remove these to get a look at the base furniture. You are looking for things like stains, tears, shoddy textile repairs. I once viewed a house where all the mattresses had blood stains (judging by the location on the mattress and size of stain, they were all down to a time of the month :( ) and the landlord had no intention of replacing them. Couches and armchairs can also be badly stained or torn, and covered with throws - check for this and alert the shower to the condition. If it is acceptable to you to leave it like that, take note of it and a dated picture so that you cannot be blamed for it if you move.

Ask about a pet policy. Yes, even if you do not have any pets. So many couples move into rented accommodation, and when the novelty wears off the next step is to introduce a pet. I have come across landlords delighted to see my dog, and some utterly curious to meet my rats. I have also come across others that scanned my house from top to bottom because they noticed a stray hair that didn't look human (when I didn't have pets). It is always good to know the policy on this and have it agreed in your contract that pets are allowed (if they are) so that if ever in the future you decide to even get a goldfish, you are covered.

Decide now what kind of bathroom facilities you consider acceptable. In my opinion, I wouldn't rent a house that didn't have a fully-electric shower, but others do not mind immersion-powered. Using a water tank can mean (depending on the tank) waiting anything from 15 minutes to a full hour for hot water to have a shower, and even longer for a bath. Obviously, if you don't have the shower in the end, you've already charged this on your electricity bill. Electric showers, although a tad heavy on the ESB, mean you can have your shower exactly when you want it and for the exact desired length of time without heating more water than you need. Make sure, regardless of the type of shower, you check the water pressure.

Check for household appliances listed below, or confirm with your partner that you do not consider them necessary:

Tumble Drier/Previously installed washing line outdoors
    Dishwasher
    Standalone freezer/sufficient freezer space in fridge-freezer combi
    Working vacuum cleaner
    Ironing board

Obviously landlords are not required to supply all of the above, but it is something new cohabiting couples can overlook in the excitement of imagining themselves in a home. Tumble driers are not necessary, but some people prefer the option when it comes to winter and it is difficult to dry clothes outside. Sinks can be used to wash dishes, but I personally find the machine much more convenient and efficient considering the amount of dishes we go through daily. Vacuum cleaners and ironing boards can be bought, but you should be aware before you move that you will have to buy them, rather than get moved in and then realise, when you might be a bit strapped for cash after paying the rent and deposit.

Finally, check to see if everything electric in the house is working, including lights. If something isn't working, ask for a replacement or repair before you move in. If this is agreed, get it in writing with an expected date of completion. If this is not agreed, obviously you can expect to run into problems.

And finally, just as people say about getting a puppy ( :p ), don't take the first one you see just because you are excited. Shop around. Ask about reductions in rent. Check the local area for facilities like shops and petrol stations. Don't be afraid to go home and think about a place you love and get back to them the following day. Don't feel pressured into handing over a deposit because "someone is coming to view after you and they are very interested".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

First off, Maynooth has unusual high rent, due to the college that guarantees tenants. Look around the forums to see what estates are "student estates", as some of them tend to like their mid-week parties, and general shenanigans that you'll quickly tire of when you have to get up early every day. Away from the college is good, but also check out where the primary schools; rain + small kids = traffic chaos, and not something you want when you're running a bit late!

If employed by Intel or HP, look at the shuttle-bus pick-up points in Leixlip, and keep in mind that the train and bus from Maynooth both stop at Louisa Bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Just a few things to look for that most people don't notice at a glance:

Corners on walls above and below. Mould is easily wiped off walls, but leaves a greyish stain on the paintwork. It's especially noticeable on lighter paint. If you see this in top corners of walls, or on the bottom along skirting boards, it is likely the house suffers with mould. The best place to check would be a bathroom or kitchen, where there would be more steam, but it can be seen in other rooms as well.

Do not assume that because the house feels warm when you get there, that the house will always be warm. Take your jacket off before you enter. You should be there a while, long enough at least to determine what the heat in the house is like. Most landlords/estate agents showing a premises will have the heating on a cycle and boosted before you show up. Regardless of the heat, ask what heating methods are available and if the house is insulated. If it isn't, chances are it will be cold in the winter, or at least quite expensive to heat.

If beds are made and furniture has throws/blankets on them, remove these to get a look at the base furniture. You are looking for things like stains, tears, shoddy textile repairs. I once viewed a house where all the mattresses had blood stains (judging by the location on the mattress and size of stain, they were all down to a time of the month :( ) and the landlord had no intention of replacing them. Couches and armchairs can also be badly stained or torn, and covered with throws - check for this and alert the shower to the condition. If it is acceptable to you to leave it like that, take note of it and a dated picture so that you cannot be blamed for it if you move.

Ask about a pet policy. Yes, even if you do not have any pets. So many couples move into rented accommodation, and when the novelty wears off the next step is to introduce a pet. I have come across landlords delighted to see my dog, and some utterly curious to meet my rats. I have also come across others that scanned my house from top to bottom because they noticed a stray hair that didn't look human (when I didn't have pets). It is always good to know the policy on this and have it agreed in your contract that pets are allowed (if they are) so that if ever in the future you decide to even get a goldfish, you are covered.

Decide now what kind of bathroom facilities you consider acceptable. In my opinion, I wouldn't rent a house that didn't have a fully-electric shower, but others do not mind immersion-powered. Using a water tank can mean (depending on the tank) waiting anything from 15 minutes to a full hour for hot water to have a shower, and even longer for a bath. Obviously, if you don't have the shower in the end, you've already charged this on your electricity bill. Electric showers, although a tad heavy on the ESB, mean you can have your shower exactly when you want it and for the exact desired length of time without heating more water than you need. Make sure, regardless of the type of shower, you check the water pressure.

Check for household appliances listed below, or confirm with your partner that you do not consider them necessary:

Tumble Drier/Previously installed washing line outdoors
    Dishwasher
    Standalone freezer/sufficient freezer space in fridge-freezer combi
    Working vacuum cleaner
    Ironing board

Obviously landlords are not required to supply all of the above, but it is something new cohabiting couples can overlook in the excitement of imagining themselves in a home. Tumble driers are not necessary, but some people prefer the option when it comes to winter and it is difficult to dry clothes outside. Sinks can be used to wash dishes, but I personally find the machine much more convenient and efficient considering the amount of dishes we go through daily. Vacuum cleaners and ironing boards can be bought, but you should be aware before you move that you will have to buy them, rather than get moved in and then realise, when you might be a bit strapped for cash after paying the rent and deposit.

Finally, check to see if everything electric in the house is working, including lights. If something isn't working, ask for a replacement or repair before you move in. If this is agreed, get it in writing with an expected date of completion. If this is not agreed, obviously you can expect to run into problems.

And finally, just as people say about getting a puppy ( :p ), don't take the first one you see just because you are excited. Shop around. Ask about reductions in rent. Check the local area for facilities like shops and petrol stations. Don't be afraid to go home and think about a place you love and get back to them the following day. Don't feel pressured into handing over a deposit because "someone is coming to view after you and they are very interested".

Half of this extremely sound advice you just can't do in an open viewing, which is the norm these days. It's total bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Half of this extremely sound advice you just can't do in an open viewing, which is the norm these days. It's total bollocks.

Yeah, it can be a bit difficult to do alright, but depending on the area they are planning to rent in and their budget, open viewings might not be on the cards. I know here in Monaghan and in Dundalk they're quite rare!

Advertisement