Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manufacturing Technology 2

Options
  • 02-08-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody did the above module (PT4112) in Semester 2 this year and found it easy or is very familiar with the material, particularly the maths questions. Mr. Mackey on this site is very kindly helping me out as I need to repeat it later this month but if anyone aced the module I'd be delighted to get some help.

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Stanford wrote: »

Just wondering if anybody did the above module (PT4112) in Semester 2 this year and found it easy or is very familiar with the material, particularly the maths questions. Mr. Mackey on this site is very kindly helping me out as I need to repeat it later this month but if anyone aced the module I'd be delighted to get some help.

G

I did it, taught I did ok. did an good project and practical and failed it... I would of had to fail everything to get an F

I was at the stage of dropping out and I wasnt going to do the repeat but my mam told me to do it and see.
    Did the repeat and he gave us the exact same exam paper as the original exam. Id done no study and answered it the same as the first time and I got a c3 which could have been higher but its capped at that.

:confused:

So study the exam just gone well :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Thanks GARV,

Good advice which I will take on board, its a pretty tough and long module for a 1st year semester and its a big risk assuming the repeat will be the same paper, at this stage however its my only chance.

G

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭jvrk

In the same boat but be glad its not PT4111 from 1st semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

jvrk wrote: »
    In the same boat but be glad its not PT4111 from 1st semester.

I did Production Technology for Biomed Eng. WORST.MODULE.EVER! Absolutely hated it, scraped a D2 in the exam thankfully. But the module is soooo tough, 3 diff parts to it: manufacturing/production theory, tech drawing and metalwork! HORRIBLE! Annnnnnnd, apart from the theory part, COMPLETELY useless to us!!! Sometimes I wonder who sets these fecking modules!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Why is an understanding of the physical processes of metalworking useless to an engineer? If you end up in a design role at some point, you will be designing parts that will require fabrication and an understanding of the types of fabrication processes used is important in this. It's also beneficial when you're talking to fabricators and have an understanding of the work they're doing.

IMO there's not nearly enough focus on practical engineering skills in UL's engineering degrees, and this is a serious problem for graduates in the real world.

You will go on to do CAD later in your degree, and an understanding of the fundamentals of technical graphics is important in this, though sadly the lecturers do not always make this clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

I did Production Technology for Biomed Eng. WORST.MODULE.EVER! Absolutely hated it, scraped a D2 in the exam thankfully. But the module is soooo tough, 3 diff parts to it: manufacturing/production theory, tech drawing and metalwork! HORRIBLE! Annnnnnnd, apart from the theory part, COMPLETELY useless to us!!! Sometimes I wonder who sets these fecking modules!!!

Graduated from mechanical eng in UL just this year. Found it much easier to secure employment that most of my friends in Biomed. The above statement is the reason why. People don't seen to understand that being able to read and interpret drawings is a key basic skill for any engineer. My job exposes me to them day in day out. Tolerancing, dimensions and fits are so important. Not to mention how metals and plastics are processed. Designed a fixture a few weeks back and took delivery of it this week only to find one component needed 2mm milled off it. Thank to the skills I learned in this class I was able to machine the component to the correct size myself saving time and money rather than sending it back to the machine shop. And I work for a large multinational Biomedical Device company. If you can't read and interpret drawings, know how to dimension designs properly and know how stuff is made you won't be worth a **** to an engineering company. In fact over the duration of the 4 years of this course this is one of the few modules that I use stuff from day in day out. These practical skills are highly desirable in industry. Not as useless as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

almostover wrote: »
    Graduated from mechanical eng in UL just this year. Found it much easier to secure employment that most of my friends in Biomed. The above statement is the reason why. People don't seen to understand that being able to read and interpret drawings is a key basic skill for any engineer. My job exposes me to them day in day out. Tolerancing, dimensions and fits are so important. Not to mention how metals and plastics are processed. Designed a fixture a few weeks back and took delivery of it this week only to find one component needed 2mm milled off it. Thank to the skills I learned in this class I was able to machine the component to the correct size myself saving time and money rather than sending it back to the machine shop. And I work for a large multinational Biomedical Device company. If you can't read and interpret drawings, know how to dimension designs properly and know how stuff is made you won't be worth a **** to an engineering company. In fact over the duration of the 4 years of this course this is one of the few modules that I use stuff from day in day out. These practical skills are highly desirable in industry. Not as useless as you think.

Thanks for the info :) I have actually dropped outta the course anyways this year, wasn't for me at all.

Advertisement