Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sleep routine

Options
  • 02-08-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi all, lookin for some advice!!
    My son is over 2 an half an he sleeps I. Double bed in his own room, the only problem I have is that he will not go to bed unless I go with him, sometimes I end up fallin asleep myself for nite with him but other times when his asleep i go to my own room an generally end up back in with him in middle of the nite....
    Issue is that I'm 28 weeks pregnant an don't no what I'm gonna do when baby comes along I'm not gonna be able for his usual routine, an he refuses to go to bed with his dad!!!!
    Any suggestions on how to get him to go to bed on his own??
    Sorry bout the big long story!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Oh tricky I know someone who has two kids and there's two years between them. They had the very same problem and from what I remember it was a case of every time the eldest got up and into there bed they walked her back to her own and kept that goin for as long as it took.. (lack of sleep for all but nothin else could be done) then the other extreme was a DVD in bed for gettin her to go to sleep alone took so long to get it to work wish I had more advice to help you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Start now. It will have to be a gradual process.

Put a new chair in his room. For a few nights read a story or whatever you usually do, cuddle him but then sit on the bed holding his hand instead of lying down. After a few nights or a week, sit without holding his hand (because your hand is tired or sore maybe ). A week later sit in the chair after stories and cuddles. Week later move the chair nearer the door etc...

A good idea is a music / light thing. Work up to the stage where you can say after stories and cuddles , "I'm going to turn on your music, and as soon ad it's finished I will come in and check on you and then turn it on for you again".
    When you check on him, no talking, just a little smile or nod, turn on the music and go again.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Start now. It will have to be a gradual process.

Put a new chair in his room. For a few nights read a story or whatever you usually do, cuddle him but then sit on the bed holding his hand instead of lying down. After a few nights or a week, sit without holding his hand (because your hand is tired or sore maybe ). A week later sit in the chair after stories and cuddles. Week later move the chair nearer the door etc...

A good idea is a music / light thing. Work up to the stage where you can say after stories and cuddles , "I'm going to turn on your music, and as soon ad it's finished I will come in and check on you and then turn it on for you again".
    When you check on him, no talking, just a little smile or nod, turn on the music and go again.

Good luck.

That sounds like a lovely gentle way to do it :)
    I do think slowly will be better in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

Thanks all for your advice, I think the next couple of weeks will be fun,, he can be a stubborn little fella so fingers crossed:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Good advice above. My brother did something similar. Took a few weeks but worked a charm.

I saw a similar thread somewhere before which will allow me add don't blame the baby. As was said above say your hand is sore....maybe put a bandage on for good measure.

Good luck and congrats

• Advertisement
Advertisement