Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to accept card payments for B&B?

Options
  • 03-08-2013 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭

I've searched here but this information seems to be out of date.

It may only be 3 payments per month, €300 max, so a merchant account from one of the banks is way too expensive.

I've heard of systems that use smartphones but I cant see many customers accepting this. We take a few payments by paypal and that works fine for a certain demographic.

But due to every closing banks and a rural location a good value way to accpet cards is essential to business.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

The sum-up card is the best option. Print off info about it and have it available for customers to read - shouldn't be an issue. They charge about 3% but no monthly fee and card holder gets immediate email receipt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

sandin wrote: »
    The sum-up card is the best option. Print off info about it and have it available for customers to read - shouldn't be an issue. They charge about 3% but no monthly fee and card holder gets immediate email receipt.

Wasn't there an issue with SumUp where they couldn't process payments directly through the App from Visa cards? If I remember correctly a text message is sent to the customer with a link to a web page for the customer to complete the transaction on their own mobile device.

Stripe are launching soon in Ireland (I think they're already beta testing) and paymill are already available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

We use syspay.com its via a smartphone but its chip and pin still which is why we went with it that and the fact that it worked out a lot cheaper than the banks! Only downside is that it doesn't take Laser but seeing Laser is being phased out its not that big a deal we've only had a couple of customers who have wanted to pay by Laser (out of a few thousand) and they often have Visa or Mastercard as well anyway. If you are only taking 3 payment a month via card its going to work out very expensive no matter what route you take even the cheapest is probably going to essentially be about €4 per payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I hadn't heard of any of these, thank you.

I'll get on to researching them immediately.

not taking laser should not be an issue, we seem to get more cheques than laser!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

jimmii wrote: »
    We use syspay.com its via a smartphone but its chip and pin still which is why we went with it that and the fact that it worked out a lot cheaper than the banks! Only downside is that it doesn't take Laser but seeing Laser is being phased out its not that big a deal we've only had a couple of customers who have wanted to pay by Laser (out of a few thousand) and they often have Visa or Mastercard as well anyway. If you are only taking 3 payment a month via card its going to work out very expensive no matter what route you take even the cheapest is probably going to essentially be about €4 per payment.

Did you opt for the bluetooth pin pad or all on the customers phone?

Is there an issue with the lack of paper receipt?

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Did you opt for the bluetooth pin pad or all on the customers phone?

Is there an issue with the lack of paper receipt?

Went for the pin pad thought it was better for people to be more familiar with what they are doing.

From the customers point of view its the same as normal they put their card in the machine and enter their pin the only difference they seem to notice is how much lighter and neater the machine is! So far no one has mentioned a paper credit card receipt you can issue a receipt by text or email if need be but so far no one has asked for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Can anyone set up one of these payment processors immediately or is there any verification/approval process required? Might be a good solution for The Website Shop for taking deposit payments.

It would be fairly easy to set up a website that took deposits through paypal and if its only small amounts monthly then I think there is no need for much verification etc.

Advertisement