Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car not in my name. Summons recieved.

• 03-08-2013 2:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

A few months ago Garda seized a car on me because it wasnt in my name. I have recieved a summons which says ''failure to report change of ownership (buyer)'' I bought the car off a close mate and never bothered changing the name on it.

I plan on pleading guilty, Whats the most likely outcome? I would like to join the guards in the future so i'm hoping it won't be to serious of a penalty.

HELP!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well, in the unlikely event that the application to join the guards works out, I wouldn't put in for the traffic corps immediately...

If you plead guilty, it's not going to look good at selection. Bought it from a good friend? So what? What were you expecting to happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Did you get the car back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Explained the situation to the department of transport office, they contacted garda and they gave me the car back for free. This was months ago though, I never kept any of the feckin paper work.. I rang the transport office back but the women who dealt with my situation is on leave.

carzony wrote: »
    Explained the situation to the department of transport office, they contacted garda and they gave me the car back for free. This was months ago though, I never kept any of the feckin paper work.. I rang the transport office back but the women who dealt with my situation is on leave.

If you had dealt with the matter, and the car is (I presume) in your name, why on earth would you plead guilty? Was the change of ownership completed or not after dealing with the dept? If not, you've been rather silly. The courts and guards will only deal with the matter as it stands.

As an aside dude, you've been posting loads about joining the guards since the new intake was announced. Is it not time you started taking this stuff seriously if you really want the job? There will be tens of thousands applying for a limited number of places. I'd hazard a guess that the successful applicants won't have been online asking advice about stuff like this. Get the paperwork sorted, and then have a word with the guard in question to explain things. They may be in a position to make a decision not to proceed. Either way, get that paperwork in order. Judges have less patience than guards.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

A few months ago Garda seized a car on me because it wasnt in my name. I have recieved a summons which says ''failure to report change of ownership (buyer)'' I bought the car off a close mate and never bothered changing the name on it.

I plan on pleading guilty, Whats the most likely outcome? I would like to join the guards in the future so i'm hoping it won't be to serious of a penalty.

HELP!!

Don't do anything that you might regret later. Perhaps it is possible that you may not yet have all of the details regarding whether a guilty plea should be entered or not.

Why don't you get the summons to a solicitor and you sort out the paperwork for change of ownership of the car? Then your solicitor can talk to the Garda and try to sort things out.

• Advertisement

Don't do anything that you might regret later. Perhaps it is possible that you may not yet have all of the details regarding whether a guilty plea should be entered or not.

Why don't you get the summons to a solicitor and you sort out the paperwork for change of ownership of the car? Then your solicitor can talk to the Garda and try to sort things out.

The car was put in my name after dealing with the department and then sold months ago. I have no paperwork what so ever and noone can give me details because the car is not mine now. The department can't do anything for me because the car genuinely wasn't in my name at the time it was seized.

The only paperwork I have for the car is the nct cert, but sure that's no use to me. I'm screwed. Just hope I recieve a small fine or somthing.

The only paperwork I have for the car is the nct cert, but sure that's no use to me. I'm screwed. Just hope I recieve a small fine or somthing.

Just hand it all over to a solicitor and let him worry about everything.

He should be able to check the previous records with the relevant motor tax office or failing that, the Vehicle Licensing people in Shannon.

Just hand it all over to a solicitor and let him worry about everything.

He should be able to check the previous records with the relevant motor tax office or failing that, the Vehicle Licensing people in Shannon.

I'll get It sorted Monday then.. ;)

I'll get It sorted Monday then.. ;)

Good man. Won't be long before you're sending us all speeding tickets!:D

I forgot to ask, say I got a fine, is that considered a conviction or just a fine?

• Advertisement

I forgot to ask, say I got a fine, is that considered a conviction or just a fine?

An on-the-spot fine given by a Garda or Traffic Warden is not a conviction.

Only a court can hand down a conviction.

An on-the-spot fine given by a Garda or Traffic Warden is not a conviction.

Only a court can hand down a conviction.

so I could get a conviction then?

so I could get a conviction then?

It's a possibility.

Advertisement