Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We have really CRAP bdbnd yet my son can connect with his smart phone ?

• 03-08-2013 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

We have painfully slow broadband, it is so bad that we are not able to watch ANY video whatsoever or download sound, surfing is a nightmare, watching paint dry doesn't come in to it..... YET my step-son has arrived for a holiday with his new smart phone and he can connect no problem and way faster that I can on the computer - how is that ? I assumed there would be no point in me buying a smart phone because our signal for the computer is so bad (o2 Dongle) I thought a smart phone would not work either ?

Can anyone tell me how a smart phone works in my house yet my computer is so painfully slow I usually feel like throwing it out of the window most of the time !?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Are you o2 also ?

Is the dongle down the back of the computer in a corner or similar ?

Could just be a faulty/bad dongle.

You could get one of these yokes to try : http://www.o2online.ie/shop/view/content/mobile-broadband

Ask here first though : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1147

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it will depend on what network you are on compared to him as to how strong your signal is. if you're on the same network, you may just have an old or faulty dongle but capable of the same speeds as his smart phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Don't know what network he's on, he's still in bed..... and yes the computer is in a corner as there is nowhere else for it but the dongle is on a window sill. I didn't realise that other networks might have coverage here because for example Vodaphone would not work at all here and o2 was the only choice left to us. If Vodaphone dos not work and o2 is ropey how come another mobile smart phone network seems to work ?

What I do not understand is this, if his network works here, why doesn't my o2 or vodaphone ?

His network is Giff-Gaff, UK network - still don't understand how his can work and yet Vodaphone does not at all and o2 is pathetic ?

• Advertisement

He just sat here and still connected no probs so it's not a 'black-spot' where the computer is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

flynnboy wrote: »
    His network is Giff-Gaff, UK network - still don't understand how his can work and yet Vodaphone does not at all and o2 is pathetic ?

Get him to check which network he is roaming on, (it will cost him a fortune to roam btw) he will be roaming on any of the following O2, Vodafone, Three or Meteor. I am guessing it will be either meteor or three. If it is, then your best bet would be to switch to one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

He's roaming so, I REALLY hope he isnt on billpay or he may get a big shock when he(or his mother) gets the bill.

Two explain some concepts:
    • There are four real operators here right now, o2, Vodafone, Meteor(eMobile) and Three. They sometimes share masts(just a big pole) but not transmitters. That means you dont always have the same coverage for all networks. Three are a good example of this as they only have their own transmitters in urban areas and pay to use vodafones out on the sticks.
    • Handsets vary. A good antenna in a modern phone can do more with the same signal than an old phone or a cheapo dongle.
    • Position in the house can make a big difference. Yours may be in the window, but if the mast is on the far side of the house thats jack all use.

EDIT: If he gets coverage where you dont, he's probably roaming on another network. He can find out in the settings menu on his phone who he's currently connected to.

He can't find anything in settings, the browser that comes up is 'Opera Mini' - does that help?

He's on o2 mobile web it seems, so if he is on o2 and he is connecting OK then what the!!!!

• Advertisement

He's on o2 mobile web it seems, so if he is on o2 and he is connecting OK then what the!!!!

Look at his screen, there should be a signal strength indicator and next to that there should be the logo for the network he is connected to. What is that logo?

He's o2

He's o2

Sounds like there is a problem with your dongle. Do a speed test on both devices. BTW he is I believe paying 45p per MB which will add up very quickly. 1mb is about 15 seconds if YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Can you tether his mobile to your computer and see what speeds you get? Might be a problem with your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Turtle_Tommy

If ye are both on o2, you could be using the 2g network while he's using the 3g network. In your settings on your o2 windows app, make sure your connection is set to WCDMA/3g only and not any of the other settings.

degsie wrote: »
    Can you tether his mobile to your computer and see what speeds you get? Might be a problem with your PC.

How do you do that ?

If ye are both on o2, you could be using the 2g network while he's using the 3g network. In your settings on your o2 windows app, make sure your connection is set to WCDMA/3g only and not any of the other settings.

Can I set my puter to 3G - if so how ?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Is his speed good everywhere inside or just in one particular place in the house ?
    I had a small 1m "cube" of space in my kitchen that gave great speed.

Can I set my puter to 3G - if so how ?

Thanks
    Go here for instructions on how to change your connection type: http://community.o2online.ie/t5/Help-Support/How-do-I-change-my-Broadband-connection-type/ta-p/559290

long_b wrote: »
    Is his speed good everywhere inside or just in one particular place in the house ?
    I had a small 1m "cube" of space in my kitchen that gave great speed.

It's good everywhere even sitting here next to the puter.

• Advertisement

Hi Turtle Tommy,

I have looked at that and the instructions for my device are as follows:

- Open the Connection Manager. Do not connect to the Internet.
    - Click Settings and then Connection Type.
    - Select 3G Only.
    - Click Apply.

However I have looked at my 'connection manager' - which I presume is the box that pops up for me to choose to connect or not - and there is simply no option for 'settings' ... any ideas ?

Thanks for your help

I have been looking around and I do not know why the instructions tell me I can select 3G because I cannot.
    I can find a tab for 'Network Type' and the only options I have are:

GSM only
    GSM preferred
    WCDMA only
    WCDMA preferred

Then there is a 'Bands' tab, under that these are the choices:

All bands GSM 1900
    GSM900/GSM1800/WCDMA2100

I do not have a 3G option as stated in the instructions for my modem - which is a Huawei E220

So do o2 know what they are talking about ?

Does your page look like the attached picture?
    If so, click Tools - Options - Network - Change the network type to 3g/WCDMA/UMTS only - Click Apply - Click OK.
    If you can't find it like this, look around the options on the connection manager until you find "Network" and switch the connection to 3g/WCDMA/UMTS only.
    Hope that will help. :)

Select the option "WCDMA only". That is the 3g network.
    Also select "All bands".

There is deffo no mention of 3G anywhere, only as I listed. I did try WCDMA preferred and I just could not connect at all. I have now connected with GSM only. I'll go and try WCDMA only

Thanks for your help TT !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Could the fault (slowness) be with the computer?

Well, I cannot connect with any of the WCDMA options, every time I try I just get the message "You cannot connect before register an available network"

I am now connected using GSM preferred and now don't know which of the GSM options I should be using..... ? So much for o2's instructions for my modem type.

Pj! wrote: »
    Could the fault (slowness) be with the computer?

I am pretty sure it's not my computer, but how can I tell ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There is deffo no mention of 3G anywhere, only as I listed. I did try WCDMA preferred and I just could not connect at all. I have now connected with GSM only. I'll go and try WCDMA only

Thanks for your help TT !

If WCDMA only doesnt work and GSM does, that dongle is only picking up a 2G signal. Get a new dongle.

• Advertisement

When you switch to WCDMA only, do you get any signal on the connection manager? Both GSM networks are the same but they are extremely slow as they are the 2g network.

Advertisement