Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive eMobile Internet bill

Options
  • 03-08-2013 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I have been landed with a massive eMobile internet bill , it's 630 euro , my contract was for 10 for 10gig for the first 6 months and 20 euro a month for the 2nd 6 months , the fast majority of this bill is because I stupidly left my dongle in my laptop and I'm being charged for uploads , the eMobile rep on here says it has to be paid , the payment plan they want is very aggressive also , they want 300 euro on the spot and a 100 euro a week there after , I just can't afford this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

I have been landed with a massive eMobile internet bill , it's 630 euro , my contract was for 10 for 10gig for the first 6 months and 20 euro a month for the 2nd 6 months , the fast majority of this bill is because I stupidly left my dongle in my laptop and I'm being charged for uploads , the eMobile rep on here says it has to be paid , the payment plan they want is very aggressive also , they want 300 euro on the spot and a 100 euro a week there after , I just can't afford this

These overcharges are ridiculous and ill bet you weren't told exactly what they were before you signed up. I would refuse to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Faze11 wrote: »
    These overcharges are ridiculous and ill bet you weren't told exactly what they were before you signed up. I would refuse to pay.

What if they threaten legal action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

What if they threaten legal action

They have a legal obligation to advise you of over usage.
    A single text to say the OP owed €50 & it would have been disconnected by him. Over 600 is an underhanded move & a half decent solr would have a field day imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

Just pay off a little bit or what you can afford until it's paid off or try and work out a more reasonable settlement with them. I remember someone told me a similar story where they got landed with a massive bill from O2 after their nephew was using their internet for online gaming. They had a chat with O2 and said they were understanding and they only had to pay part of the bill. It's called good customer service. I don't think any company should land a customer with this kind of bill without some kind of warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

dmc17 wrote: »
    Just pay off a little bit or what you can afford until it's paid off or try and work out a more reasonable settlement with them. I remember someone told me a similar story where they got landed with a massive bill from O2 after their nephew was using their internet for online gaming. They had a chat with O2 and said they were understanding and they only had to pay part of the bill. It's called good customer service. I don't think any company should land a customer with this kind of bill without some kind of warning.

They should be able to negotiate a settle ment figure a fraction of that amount. I would just not pay. Send emails to them every week or so saying you were misinformed and you can't afford it. No judge will make you pay.

• Advertisement

Lelantos wrote: »
    A single text to say the OP owed €50 & it would have been disconnected by him. Over 600 is an underhanded move & a half decent solr would have a field day imo

Where can I get details of this legal obligation ?

I tried to negotiate with them , I've been on to representatives here and over the phone but they won't back down and said it must be paid , they also want a very agressive payment plan of 300 euro on the spot and a 100 euro a week after that

Perhaps Comreg could help me

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Lelantos wrote: »

€50 is for international roaming, see next post

Sorry did a bit more searching and from the emobile site (http://helpandquestions.emobile.ie/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=emdev,Company={8C5A3413-D734-4C47-9016-F9EBD3B87D94},case=1582)
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]At eMobile, we want to make sure you are on the best value plan that suits you. To help you manage your monthly mobile spend and give you peace of mind, we'll let you know when your bill reaches a level of €250 or more for your monthly commitment and any additional calls, texts and data.[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How does this work?[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We'll send you an SMS when you have reached 75% of €250 and again at 95% of €250 so you can make a payment by credit card. If you don't make a payment, we will temporarily suspend your service (in most cases when you reach €250) so that you can't incur any more additional charges. However, you will still be able to receive calls and texts and make emergency calls if you need to. If you find that you are regularly going over this amount, please contact a member of our team so we can ensure you are on a plan that best suits your needs.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Terms and Conditions: Please note that the €250 notification amount is subject to change. You may also incur charges for out of tariff usage that may not be captured at the time of SMS notification.[/font]

Get back onto them and ask them why their systems were not adhered to, the site is very clear that the account should be suspended at €250 and there should have been notification at approx €188. Would be pushing for the bill to be cut to 188 (in total, not 188 above your standard rate) if you didnt receive any text notification, €250 if you did

• Advertisement

swampy353 wrote: »
    Sorry did a bit more searching and from the emobile site (http://helpandquestions.emobile.ie/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=emdev,Company={8C5A3413-D734-4C47-9016-F9EBD3B87D94},case=1582)

Get back onto them and ask them why their systems were not adhered to, the site is very clear that the account should be suspended at €250 and there should have been notification at approx €188. Would be pushing for the bill to be cut to 188 (in total, not 188 above your standard rate) if you didnt receive any text notification, €250 if you did

Thanks for that but could they argue that this is specific to phone plans only and not broad band, I just want to be ready for every loop hole

In fairness, there is nothing on the site that specifies that its phone plans only. Mobile broadband is listed as bill pay too, there is no harm in chancing your arm and if they do say its only phone plans that are covered, ask them why their BB customers arent given the same sort of protection. There is no point trying to find and point out loop holes, let them do that and where possible take advantage of them 

swampy353 wrote: »

My account was suspended recently and I've been without the Internet , perhaps I should only pay 128 euro , with me docking the 20 euro for each month I have been charged for no service I mean it's there fault for asking me to pay a bill which I shouldnt have been presented with in the first place

• Company Representative Posts: 424 Verified rep eMobile: Tony

My account was suspended recently  and I've been without the Internet  , perhaps I should only pay 128 euro , with me docking the 20 euro for each month I have been charged for no service I mean it's there fault for asking me to pay a bill which I shouldnt have been presented with in the first place
    Hi shadowcomplex
    I understand that you have been in communication with a rep here and in customer care and I cannot promise that I can change the outcome here, but PM me your details and I will investigate this for you fully.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Offer to pay it off at 2 euro a week. If they refuse, let them sue - as far as a court is concerned you have made a reasonable offer to repay what you can afford.

Oh, and do everything in writing - refuse to discuss anything over the phone!

• Company Representative Posts: 424 Verified rep eMobile: Tony

Hi Shadowcomplex,

I'm sorry to hear this. If you PM your mobile and PIN number we will look into this for you here.

Tony

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i'm pretty sure you either agreed to t and cs or signed off on ts and c's with this in it, suck it up pay it and learn from the mistake... people need to start taking ownership for their debts regardless of how incurred, you are at fault 100% as you have stated yet still want to be exempt from paying it... its a business not a charity

i'm pretty sure you either agreed to t and cs or signed off on ts and c's with this in it, suck it up pay it and learn from the mistake... people need to start taking ownership for their debts regardless of how incurred, you are at fault 100% as you have stated yet still want to be exempt from paying it... its a business not a charity

So your basically saying they don't have to comply with there own terms and conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

Exactly, which is why they should try and take care of their customers. After all, without their customers they wouldn't do much business in the long run would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

An apology might be in order there. I don't think he's trying to avoid the debt he's pointing out that he can't afford it and that they aren't willing to set up a payment plan which he can meet. He fully admits he's at fault.

Either way this seems to be a common issue with mobile internet providers and an option to choose a data cut off point on your bill would seem to resolve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

I agree with a cut off point. If you request the cut off be lifted then you cannot argue with the bill.

• Company Representative Posts: 690 ✭✭✭eMobile: Grainne

So your basically saying they don't have to comply with there own terms and conditions
    Hi shadowcomplex,

I have been advised that my colleague in our credit control team is going to give you a call to discuss an alternative payment plan.

Let me know when you receive this call.

Grainne

Hi shadowcomplex,

I have been advised that my colleague in our credit control team is going to give you a call to discuss an alternative payment plan.

Let me know when you receive this call.

Grainne

No call as of yet

Advertisement