Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Melbourne

Options
  • 03-08-2013 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I'll try & keep this brief. I moved to Melbourne about 2 weeks ago, having come for (& followed) the Lions tour. I'm waiting for my 2nd WHV to come through so I can start working & earning. I've been in touch with recruiters so I'm hopeful the whole process won't take too long.

Im living near the MCG, which is an awesome location close to both the city & lots of other cool places. Here's the thing- I don't really know anyone here. My flatmate works long hours 6 days a week so it's been quiet for me since I got here. I'm wondering if anyone's got any tips for someone new to the city - things to check out, good ways to meet new people, any other useful tips etc.

Moneys a little bit tight at the moment, so anything cheap or free is good! I've taken the free shuttle bus a couple of times (which is awesome) & explored parts of the city. I suppose I'm looking for any info beyond the obvious...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

vill@in wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I'll try & keep this brief. I moved to Melbourne about 2 weeks ago, having come for (& followed) the Lions tour. I'm waiting for my 2nd WHV to come through so I can start working & earning. I've been in touch with recruiters so I'm hopeful the whole process won't take too long.

Im living near the MCG, which is an awesome location close to both the city & lots of other cool places. Here's the thing- I don't really know anyone here. My flatmate works long hours 6 days a week so it's been quiet for me since I got here. I'm wondering if anyone's got any tips for someone new to the city - things to check out, good ways to meet new people, any other useful tips etc.

Moneys a little bit tight at the moment, so anything cheap or free is good! I've taken the free shuttle bus a couple of times (which is awesome) & explored parts of the city. I suppose I'm looking for any info beyond the obvious...

Thanks.

Welcome to cold and wet Melbourne!
    I'm here just over two months and love the city.
    Have you checked out meetup.com?
    Lots of groups around the city cater for new people meeting up. I found it good when I got here. Went to an afl game with a group.
    Also lots of sports groups too - walking, running etc..
    Best of luck with looking for a job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

As above and if you're interested
    http://www.meetup.com/Melbourne-Irish-Brekkie-Club/

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭monariek

vill@in wrote: »

Thanks.

i'm here five months and didnt know about this... where does it go?

Advertisement