Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helping a dog cope with the car

• 03-08-2013 10:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone here can help.

I've had Poll for 7 years now, I figure she's nearly 8. She's not the easiest dog in the world, well for me she is, she's the best girl, but she can be unpredictable with others.

She likes her routine and it visibly affects her if things aren't always the same. She has improved immensely over the last few years with visitors to the house through lots of practice.

Bearing all this in mind she can't handle car journeys. I'm not sure what happened her in the 9 months before she wandered into my life. She loves getting into the car but as soon as the engine starts she goes crack-a-dog. Lots of high pitched squealing, panting, shaking. Her anxiety levels shoot up and she would claw your eyes out to get out the door.

While I was living near my parents and commuting I would take her the ten miles there and back every day and after a year it got to the point where she would tolerate it but if I took a different course she would be back to freaking out. But then I moved closer to work and she stayed at home with my parents as they are there all day and well, she has endeared herself to them both.

So over the last 5 years she's been in the car on a need only basis and only for 10 mins at a time. However next week I need to bring her on a 40 min journey, unfortunately it's not a routine vet visit and I'm bringing her to see someone I know and trust. I have been offered a sedative but it's one I have read alot of bad press about and given her temperament it's one I would prefer not to use.

Any recommendations please? I just want to get her there and back in one piece. I am going to walk the legs off her before hand as the only time I have ever seen her get into the car and go straight to sleep was after her first ever agility class but can I do anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Sorry I'm not much help here op but would you consider getting one of those harnesses that act as a seatbelt for your dog? By getting one of these it ensures the safety for both you and your pet. I think being secured in will prevent over excitement/anxiety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Thanks for the response, it all helps.

She is secured in the car, usually with someone sitting beside her as it's difficult to drive if I'm constantly focusing on her. It's when the car stops and you go to get her out, she'll go through you to get there. Have also tried her in the boot compartment with a car guard separating her from the rest of the car but if anything I think she's worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Have you tried a Thundershirt in the car? The effect on different dogs varies, but it might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

have you tried her in the boot,with the shelf on & the back seats let down? nice & dark but she can still see you & get air without being able to see too much outside the windows.thats how my collie likes to travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

poor old dog - some of them just never get to cope with motion sickness. Since she is so traumatised at this stage, and you did great to get her used to that short drive to your parents every day, you know she is not going to improve with her fear of the car/motion sickness. How about giving her something like BACHS FLOWER REMEDY - its a natural/herbal relaxation remedy, from health food shops, ok to give to dogs/horses - but you can confirm that with a phonecall to your vet - you give a few drops (depending on weight of your dog) before the traumatic car journey...

also good to give her a good walk/exercise so shes tired before the journey. Bring her blanket or her bed so she has a familiar smell too.
    Good luck - it horrible anticipating her distress before the fact - hope it goes well for you (and her)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My friend's dog was very anxious and stressed in the car until he started coming with us for a walk every weekend to a lovely big park near us where they can be off lead the whole time exploring. Having my guy for company helped settle him and he jumps in now now probs.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Have thought about the thundershirt alright and it can't hurt. Anyone know where I can get my hands on one in North Kildare/West Dublin area?

Will try the rescue remedy too and the seats down, boot cover on is a great idea. Her favourite place in the house is in her bed under the big table in the kitchen so that might help her feel better. My boot guard fastens to the headrests so I can fix them to the front seats instead and that will cordon off the front of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Holistic Pet Products/hpp.ie are based in Kildare and sell Thundershirts...but i dont know Kildare at all so they could be nowhere near you!! :p
    You could try a wrap with a bandage if you can't get a thundershirt straight away tough - http://www.crvetcenter.com/ttouch.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Toulouse wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

Have thought about the thundershirt alright and it can't hurt. Anyone know where I can get my hands on one in North Kildare/West Dublin area?

Will try the rescue remedy too and the seats down, boot cover on is a great idea. Her favourite place in the house is in her bed under the big table in the kitchen so that might help her feel better. My boot guard fastens to the headrests so I can fix them to the front seats instead and that will cordon off the front of the car.

I'm in Dublin so got mine in Maxi Zoo Finglas. Maybe try their Maynooth branch?
    Thundershirt offers a money back guarantee if it doesn't have the desired effect. I asked about this in Maxi Zoo, and they said they would give the refund if needed (it wasn't). Wherever you get one from, make sure to ask about that.

Good woman! They're just outside Newbridge and I have to pass to go home to get Poll anyway so could call in.

Thanks Mosi, I know the mgr in Maynooth branch so I'll text him now and see if they carry it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 sambor

Toulouse wrote: »
    Hoping someone here can help.

I've had Poll for 7 years now, I figure she's nearly 8. She's not the easiest dog in the world, well for me she is, she's the best girl, but she can be unpredictable with others.

She likes her routine and it visibly affects her if things aren't always the same. She has improved immensely over the last few years with visitors to the house through lots of practice.

Bearing all this in mind she can't handle car journeys. I'm not sure what happened her in the 9 months before she wandered into my life. She loves getting into the car but as soon as the engine starts she goes crack-a-dog. Lots of high pitched squealing, panting, shaking. Her anxiety levels shoot up and she would claw your eyes out to get out the door.

While I was living near my parents and commuting I would take her the ten miles there and back every day and after a year it got to the point where she would tolerate it but if I took a different course she would be back to freaking out. But then I moved closer to work and she stayed at home with my parents as they are there all day and well, she has endeared herself to them both.

So over the last 5 years she's been in the car on a need only basis and only for 10 mins at a time. However next week I need to bring her on a 40 min journey, unfortunately it's not a routine vet visit and I'm bringing her to see someone I know and trust. I have been offered a sedative but it's one I have read alot of bad press about and given her temperament it's one I would prefer not to use.

Any recommendations please? I just want to get her there and back in one piece. I am going to walk the legs off her before hand as the only time I have ever seen her get into the car and go straight to sleep was after her first ever agility class but can I do anything else?

first I would recommend to make her journey safe for U. Stressed dogs are unpredictable. Probably she has had so bad memory's from long journey what is a reason why she overreacting. It will take a long time to fix this. Always small steps without any pressure and don't try force her to do something (it will make things worst). How someone mention before me, put something positive in car (her blanket, toy, bone, treats), u may goes around car (with turned on engine) and give her lots of treats - but remember any time when she won't be happy with this and she will try step back let her to do this. u may also give her something to chewing in car (engine on), when dogs is chewing her brain produce endorphin - what relaxed her. When u will go trough this steps u may take her for short ride - ALWAYS your goal has to be something positive for her (long walk). Gradually u have to make journey longer. <snip>
    Regards
    Sambor

Warning issued for self-promoting across several threads today. As advised in a previous warning, this is against the forum charter.
    Do not reply to this edit on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

OP - Have you tried giving her a couple of drops of Bach's Rescue Remedy on her tongue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Do you use a crate at home? If so, have you ever tried putting the crate in the car? If she sees it as a safe place in the house, she may well feel the same in the car.

Do you have the radio on while driving? Maybe having it on loud enough to drown out the engine sound may help? Again, maybe have the radio on a lot at home up until you go, so that she associates music with normality?

Will be trying the rescue remedy and got a thundershirt for her today.

I don't use the crate at home as she sleeps on the couch in the kitchen or else her bed is under the table. So if she needs some time to herself or just wants to stretch out in peace and quiet without my Dad tickling her tummy she pops under there. So unfortunately I don't have time to introduce her properly to it. And actually I have just remembered that I loaned my crate to someone over a year ago!

Radio is a great idea though as we always have the radio on for her at night or the tv is left on for her if we're popping out.

I just wish I had time to prepare her properly but hopefully with the rescue remedy, the thundershirt, the radio on loud and the car set up properly it'll be less of an ordeal for poor Poll.

Hi all,

Just thought I'd do a little update!

First things first, I was bringing her to the vet so he could check a lump I found and it's just a fatty lump, nothing to worry about!! Phew :)

So I gave her an extra long walk last night and then we headed out for another hour first thing this morning. I didn't feed her.

I introduced her to the thundershirt last night and I think she likes it. She never was the type of dog to let you put coats on her, etc. but she stood still for this and is happy to let me take it off and put it on again. Whether it helps or not I don't know but she seems comfortable in it so it's not doing any harm.

I organised the car with the boot cover on and back seats down. We did a little conditioning last night, she got stressed but it was before her walk so probably not the ideal time. Disaster struck when I realised my guard wouldn't fit the front seats but she's a good girl and does what she's told so when she jumped into the front I just asked her to get into the back and off she went and didn't do it again.

I gave her a few drops of rescue remedy before we left and brought some water with it in it to give her at the vets.

So onto the journey, she was stressed and vocal but nowhere near as bad as usual, no clawing at anything to get out. I had the radio on loud and she even lay down at one stage (she obviously likes Kodaline). No trying to get into the front either. We arrived 30 mins early so she'd have time to calm down before seeing the vet and she was grand in there.

She was happy to get into the car again and on the way home she lay down half in - half out of the boot and didn't make any noise even though she was panting hard until we got about 2 miles from home and she realised where she was and starting squealing. But even then I could tell her to wait when I stopped the car to get her out and she was focused enough to listen to my commands.

So all in all a huge improvement using a combination of a thundershirt, rescue remedy, good car set-up and the radio. Definitely going to continue trying to improve her reactions when I'm home at weekends.

Was very proud of her :D

Advertisement