Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid parent needs help xbox1 or ps4

• 03-08-2013 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Haven't very good knowledge of game consoles just wanted some help from those in the know.

Ds who is 12 has and loves his Xbox360. He's mad to get the xbox1 but also mentioned the ps4.

I'm thinking changing consoles means buying all his favourite games again so steering him towards staying with the Xbox.

Does the old Xbox games work on the new consoles?

Is their any advantages of one over the other?

Any advice on Subscriptions etc? Price of controllers etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

garden wrote: »
    Haven't very good knowledge of game consoles just wanted some help from those in the know.

Ds who is 12 has and loves his Xbox360. He's mad to get the xbox1 but also mentioned the ps4.

I'm thinking changing consoles means buying all his favourite games again so steering him towards staying with the Xbox.

Does the old Xbox games work on the new consoles?

Is their any advantages of one over the other?

Any advice on Subscriptions etc? Price of controllers etc.

Dont think xbox one (xbone) will be backwards compatible, so no xbox 360 games on it. But then why would you buy the games he already has on the 360 for the new console? Unless you planning to get rid of the 360?

To be honest too early to tell what to buy - not even out yet so no way to tell quality other than promo material. PS4 will be the less expensive option though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yeah old games will not work on either of the new consoles unfortinatly.

The best choice would be to go with the same console his friends are getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The old games will not work, both consoles require subscriptions to play online but the PS4 subscription gives you much much more including free games. This is yet to be seen with PS4 games but so far on PS3 it has been incredible value.

PS4 is 100 euro cheaper too so that is the cost of one game and a good bit towards a second controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Xbox360 games won't be compatible with the xbox one. The Ps4 will be 100€ cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I'd suggest talking to your son about both, as they wont be released for a while you could probably stand to wait for a while before you bring it up in conversation with him. In the meantime you could research both machines on their respective websites, and see this thread for some boards community opinions.

oh and, ask what all of his friends are getting too, that's probably going to be a major factor in which one he'll end up wanting of the two.

personally i'd say get him a pc though :) heh:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

What type of games does he play?
    Both consoles have 'Exclusives', which means they'll only be available on Xbox (eg. Halo, Gears of War) or Playstation (eg. Unchartered, Gran Turismo). There are multiplatform games, that means the games are made for both consoles (eg. FIFA, Call of Duty etc.).

What are his friends talking about getting?
    If a friend get a PS4 and your son gets and XBO, they won't be able to play online with each other, even though the games are available on both consoles you can't 'mix' consoles.

Does he play online much?
    Not only the option to play with friends online, but as mentioned before, the PS+ subscription allows access to 'free' games. This offer on the PS3 is a very good one. The games are free as long as you subscribe (http://uk.playstation.com/playstationplus/?tab=gamecollection). Microsoft have started 'Games with Gold' but that is not expected to carry over to XBO. Comparing the two consoles Subscription service, IMO Playstation is better.

It's early days yet, and obviously there's prestige to be earned among young lads by having a console on day one, but if you/he can resist that urge, give the consoles time. Some of the tech the XBO has is intriguing. The games look very good on both consoles. The PS4 is cheaper. There is still life in the 360 too by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

personally i'd say get him a pc though :) heh:D

ah give over will ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

*Both consoles wount be able to play old generation games. Most likely you will have to keep your old xbox 360 to play those games.
    *Ask your son about what console his friends are getting. No point on getting PS4 if all his friends getting XBOX ONE.
    *Both consoles will use subscription based service for online gaming. The benefit of PS4 plus service is that you are getting free games each month. You can download them and play as long as you are subscribed to ps plus service. Xbox 360 started doing similar thing, but no info on XBOX one.
    *If you will be getting Ps4 and keeping xbox 360,you will need two subscriptions for playing online. If you get xbox one, then both will share same gold account. Though keep in mind, when there will be next gen console ( ps4 or xbox one ), I dont really see your son coming back much to xbox 360 old games.
    *Ps4 is 400eu, Xbox one is 500eu. Xbox one comes with bundles in Kinect. Seeing as your lad is still young, he might get some use out of it. Other then that, most older gamers find it as a gimmick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

mystic86 wrote: »
    ah give over will ya!

I am pretty sure it was said with a tongue in a cheek... but yeah, lad is 12 years old, about time to grow a pair and build his own Gaming PC. He cant be playing with kids toys all his life. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

mystic86 wrote: »
    ah give over will ya!

nevar! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Any chance your kid is willing to wait a year?:P

I never buy a console on launch day. I'd rather wait a while and see which console has a better selection of games. Prices will drop dramatically.

There's plenty of great 360 games coming out this Christmas, but I know kids can be demanding when they really want the latest new thing.

Also xbox has a history of faulty hardware. If you go with xbox, make sure the warranty is good!!

The xbox has caused a bit of controversy since it has a built in camera that's always on... even when the console is off. I think you can pause kinect, but you can't disable it. Everyone having a high definition camera in their living room could be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever, depending how you look at it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

Really appreciate all the replies, I'm going to have a good read through them. I would love him to hang on for a year or do but it's hard when he has saved his own money to tell him what to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

wish i had that kinda of money when i was young :( haha

anyhow both machines are identical really, dont listen to anyone saying 50% more power because it aint going to make a difference, besides thats all on paper anyhow no one has had a chance at both machines yet

your son has an xbox360 if he had live membership already on that, it will be carried over to the xboxone so in a way your already saving money which would need to spent on the ps4, so if you think about it your son is only saving 40,50quid? if he chooses the ps4

x1 wont be backwards compatible, but i dont understand why people would want this, its a new generation so why look for old games on a new console, when you can have new games on a new console, ask him to keep his xbox360 if thats the case :) cause consoles are worth keeping

i think sony are working on backwards compatibility though, called gakai? although that wont come out for atleast another year or two after launch but its definitly worth noting :)

at the end of the day its down to what information you read, but be carefull because most stuff you read on the internet is very biased towards one console or the other, if i was you i would do a pro/con list on both consoles, and recommend your son which one is better in your opinion and see what he thinks, at the end of the day you cant go wrong.
    both consoles look amazing, and their will be very little between them, hell i know alot of people who are picking "said" console just for exclusives nothing else.

Which ever one your son picks i am sure he will be very happy, i only wish i was 12 when these consoles came out :L i could then act very excited about them and let my inner child out :D haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Any chance your kid is willing to wait a year?:P

I never buy a console on launch day. I'd rather wait a while and see which console has a better selection of games. Prices will drop dramatically.

When has a console's price dropped that dramatically after a year? £20/£30 maybe, but nothing major.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

i'd recommend ps4 because of the ps+ program that costs a fiver a month, but provides free games for download on the first tuesday of every month. great way for him to build up his collection without costing you money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

As has been mentioned he should get the same as his friends
    both consoles more or less the same, so its all personal preference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I am pretty sure it was said with a tongue in a cheek... but yeah, lad is 12 years old, about time to grow a pair and build his own Gaming PC. He cant be playing with kids toys all his life. :pac:

It would be cheaper in the long run as well. What's the price of a new console game going to be ? 60 euros? Plus, online multiplayer is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I am pretty sure it was said with a tongue in a cheek...

That was not lost on me.

Advertisement