Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Baggage

Options
  • 03-08-2013 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys,

So Im thinking of traveling with aer lingus again after a long time and need a bit of an advise/information in relation to baggage and that specifically checked baggage.

I was hoping to book two bags, but it seems that both of these together must amount to less than 20 kg. Is that true ? And if so is there any way of booking two bags, which can both weight 20 kg each ?

Thanks,

Any crucial information in relation to cabin baggage that I need to know would be useful too ! So please free to tell me :)

FYI: I will be travelling within EU.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I don't think there's any way of doing this. You can book two bags, but you'd be paying excess baggage fees for everything over the 20kg, per kg. If you know the excess weight in advance then you can pay for that online, would work out cheaper than paying it at the airport (9 € per kg instead of 15).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 buyakasha

Oh I see, so I guess Im better off just having one bag with 20kg then two with 10kg each...less bags to carry around then !

Would ryanair have that option by any chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, rules about carry-on differ based on the destination. For example Aer Lingus 'regional' (aka Aer Arrann) flights have smaller overhead bins so the maximum dimensions for carry-on bags are smaller than they are for other routes served by the Airbus fleet.

In general terms and unless the flight is jam packed full, Aer Lingus will allow you to carry the likes of a laptop bag along with your main carry-on bag. As long as it (the extra carry-on bag) can fit on the floor between your feet or under the seat in front, you will be allowed to bring it onboard, there is no such latitude on Ryanair flights. I normally sling the extra bag over my shoulder in which case the staff pretend not to notice it, again unless the flight is full at which point they will start taking bigger bags from people at the departure gate to put in the hold but usually they're pretty reasonable about it.

Everything you need to know is clearly set out on the Aer Lingus website.....

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/baggageinformation/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

the 20kg or sometimes even 23kg has been in place for a long time, and even airlines that do not charge for checked luggage have never allowed more weight than that (larger allowances for business/1st class) unless you pay for every kg over your limit, whether you have 1 bag or 10. They may look the other way for a 1-2kg overweight, but certainly not for 20kg.
    More and more airlines are starting to charge for each item of checked luggage, so you're better off having your luggage as 1 bag rather than distributed over many bags.

As coylemj pointed out, read the AerLingus page:
    http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/baggageinformation/#d.en.1223
    • A maximum of 3 bags per passenger can be booked on the website. Pieces above the maximum will be accepted on a space available basis.
    • Discount excess weight fee available if the fee is paid up to two hours prior to departure online. Standard excess weight fee is charged at the airport.
    • Excess weight is charged per kilo per flight in excess of the allowance.
    • Baggage fees apply for each checked bag
    • Maximum of 20kg (44lb) in total checked baggage weight per passenger, regardless of the number of bag fees purchased

Ryanair allows purchase of 15kg or 20kg check-in luggage. after booking you can add a second bag, not 100% clear but I think it can be up to 15kg in weight as well.

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/terms-and-conditions#regulations-tableoffees

Advertisement