Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clane for a short break with kids

Options
  • 03-08-2013 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

hi all,
    I'm looking at the Westgrove in Clane for a short break for the family wondering what there is to do in Clane?
    Hotel has pool and kids club
    Am I right in thinking there is no cinema?
    Abbeylands shopping centre- would this be a fair size or what shopa might I see there? is clane shopping centre the same or another centre?
    is there a playground? walkway around the river etc
    What other activities? did I see some archery/shooting place, is it any good for a 12yr old? Shops?

or where would be closeby for a bit of shopping and something for the kids too(ages 4,6,12)
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

robin3 wrote: »
    hi all,
    I'm looking at the Westgrove in Clane for a short break for the family wondering what there is to do in Clane?
    Hotel has pool and kids club
    Am I right in thinking there is no cinema?
    Abbeylands shopping centre- would this be a fair size or what shopa might I see there? is clane shopping centre the same or another centre?
    is there a playground? walkway around the river etc
    What other activities? did I see some archery/shooting place, is it any good for a 12yr old? Shops?

or where would be closeby for a bit of shopping and something for the kids too(ages 4,6,12)
    Many thanks

I lived in clane the westgrove is a nice hotel but there is nothing to do In clane the shopping centre is a Supervalu and a chemist.

Work friends of mine won a free weekend in the westgrove and they ask the lady on reception where to go shopping her reply was go bk to Dublin.

Nice place but it could be hard to keep the kids busy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

robin3 wrote: »
    What other activities? did I see some archery/shooting place, is it any good for a 12yr old?

Abbeyfield Farm Country Pursuits is out the Celbridge Road.

There is also a Maze just outside Prosperous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

donadea forrest is close by too and if you want shopping you could try the kildare outlet out the M7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Lullymore Heritage Park is a half hour away and a good day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

siochain wrote: »
    donadea forrest is close by too

There is also Wallaby Woods Pet Farm (Wallabies, Owls and Emu’s) at Donadea.

There is a bit of driving to these places including the Kildare Outlet and in different directions from Clane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

No offence but almost tempted to believe thread is a joke !While Im sure Clane is a grand place to live it is a SMALL residential satelite town ,FULL STOP!The idea of going there as a 'destination' is crazy.Having said that it might be an ok base for Lullymore,Dublin city etc and the Westgrove is an ok hotel esp if you get a good deal.Zest restaurant is very good .
    Abbeylands is a tiny shopping centre.Newbridge ,Naas etc would be way bigger.Good job you asked /checked first!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

yeah your right its a small town and it doesn't have all the tacky stuff that comes with some of the seaside towns but if you got half decent weather there is loads to do around for families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Go over to straffen to the butterfly farm. Your kids will love it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

CLonfert pet farm is lovely,there is a brilliant play ground in Maynooth,Naas has a cinema.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

There is a playground within walking distance, just near the Aldi. there is also a lovely long pathway along the liffey for a nice walk. As a few posters said, plenty to do within driving distance: Wallaby woods, Clonfert petting farm, Lullymore, the maze. Also a short drive in to Naas and there is an Odeon Cinema. newbridge has the Whitewater shopping centre and the greyhound racing statium. So if you are willing to drive, you have a few options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

At Wallaby Woods today with kids .BRILLIANT!

Advertisement