Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not knowing where I stand.

Options
  • 03-08-2013 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

At the moment I feel like I'm not good enough in my job. I work with 4 people (3 females)and all have more experience than me but not by much. I am male. Two of these females are strongly opinionated and the other is mildly opinionated and I'm not. I don't have enough self belief. I work very hard, I come in do my job and leave when done and have never made any serious mistakes but I think people underrate me as a person. I am quiet as a person but will answer any questions if managers or supervisors, technicians or contractors come my way but I find I am always the last person to be approached or if the other three aren't available. I am only good enough to them when the other three aren't there. I always struggle with confidence personally but behind that I do my job correctly and don't have a bad record or anything.

Maybe it's telling me that there is one thing wrong with me which I believe there is. I sometimes suffer from depression and these inner thoughts get the better of me sometimes. Sometimes it's worse than other times and eating me away inside believing I'm not good enough and that I am a failure. I have had a lot of misfortunes and disappointments in my life so I don't know what I should do. I am my worse enemy and believe I'm a failure with nothing going for me. I have been trying to work on my confidence for few years but I am one person that has struggled to find this rhythm.

Hope someone can offer me advice. In dire need of help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Work and Jobs answer to this is "speak to your manager, find out if they are happy with what you're doing - if they are happy, then you're grand. If not, then ask them what they want you to do about it".

But I cannot help wonder if you would find a Personal Issues type answer more helpful. If you would like me to move your post, then just report it asn I'll pop it over there for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I think you would admit OP that the harshest judge of yourself is you. And you criticize yourself before you even leave the front door each morning. And I'd reckon you beat yourself up a lot over small silly things that others brush off.

It is definitely good to talk. Now you probably have a formal appraisal system in your job but that doesn't mean you have to wait until December and June to talk to your manager. It's a managers job to let staff know exactly where they stand.

So approach your boss and ask for a short meeting. It's not to discuss your issues, keep that between yourself and your GP.
    Just list your top 3 or 4 tasks and ask for feedback. Also ask if your teammates have given any feedback on you.

This will get everything into the open and you will leave more assure and confident. If you get a bit of criticism and every worker in Ireland has something to improve on then you can work on that for the next few months.

Don't overthink that other people don't approach you. It's not because you are not a problem solver or the last option. The others speak up clearly and so they are the obvious choice.

Sorry that the quiet person can get overlooked but it happens. And some companies can have 400 people on a single office floor or on a factory floor. Wouldn't you also approach an obvious choice if you wanted a quick answer?

The fact that people don't ask you questions does not mean they think you're incompetent.

I also think you should start a thread in personal issues forum about your other issues.

Advertisement