Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What to do with venison

• 03-08-2013 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    We recently got left a ton of venison from an elderly relative who passed away. It's not a meat I have ever cooked before so I haven't the first clue of what to do with it! I have eaten it in restaurants before but never had the opportunity to actually get some myself, so basically what I'm asking is what would be the best way to prepare it? Can you do it medium like beef of does it have to be fully cooked through? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Hi everyone,
    We recently got left a ton of venison from an elderly relative who passed away. It's not a meat I have ever cooked before so I haven't the first clue of what to do with it! I have eaten it in restaurants before but never had the opportunity to actually get some myself, so basically what I'm asking is what would be the best way to prepare it? Can you do it medium like beef of does it have to be fully cooked through? Thanks!

Do you know what cuts you have ? Some are better slow cooked and others really quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If it's a tender cut then it needs to be rare. If it's a working cut(near the shoulder or leg muscles etc) then cook it for a long time at a low temp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

OscarBravo did an amazing looking Venison Pie awhile back and was kind to share the recipe here.

I've made Braised Venison from the Avoca cookbook which remains a firm favourite in our house.

1.5kg venison, diced.
    2 tbsp seasoned flour
    2 tbsp sunflower oil
    1 large Spanish onion, finely diced
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
    ½ tsp five spice powder
    1 tbsp each chopped thyme and rosemary
    1 bay leaf
    250ml red wine
    2 tbsp tomato puree
    750ml - 1 litre beef stock -
    75g dark chocolate (54% cocoa or more)

Method:
    Pre-heat the oven at 180C. Toss the venison in seasoned flour until well coated. In a large ovenproof casserole dish, heat the oil on high, add the venison and brown them evenly, about 3-4 minutes. Do this in batches if need be. Transfer onto a plate.
    Turn the heat down to medium and add the onion, cook until soft, about 6-10 minutes, then add garlic, five spice powder and the herbs, and cook gently for a further minute. Pour in the red wine and allow to boil, scraping all the lovely sediment and caramelised meat juices from the bottom of the pot. Let it reduce by a third. Stir in the tomato puree. Return the venison to the casserole, and add enough stock to cover them by around 2cm.
    On medium heat bring the casserole to a simmer, and then transfer to the pre-heated oven for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the dark chocolate, and if required, more stock, but I left it as it is as I really like the sauce rich. Cook for a further 30 minutes by which stage the meat should be very tender and the sauce reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

To be honest I have no idea what the cuts are, they are all just in freezer bags labeled deer! His Daughter was clearing the house and gave it to us. I really like the idea of the pie or braised venison, I must give one of them a go! :)

Okay I just had a look at it and it appears to all be like chops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

To be honest I have no idea what the cuts are, they are all just in freezer bags labeled deer! His Daughter was clearing the house and gave it to us. I really like the idea of the pie or braised venison, I must give one of them a go! :)

Marinate inch cubes of it overnight in red wine ( possibly with some brandy too) . Take the meat out the following day and dry it off with paper towels. Roll in some flour before colouring in a pan. Put in to a casserole dish with some onions mushrooms etc, add back the marinade juice and slow cook for 3-4 hours in the oven on a low heat. Its done when the venison is tender.
    I'm lucky enough to have a supply of free wild venison and this method of cooking it has converted the non venison eaters

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Borzoi wrote: »
    this method of cooking it has converted the non venison eaters crazy people
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭thetl

Any recipe for beef stew would work perfectly for pieces you ard not sure of,,chops medium rare and if you have a mincer venison make beautiful burgers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Borzoi wrote: »
    Marinate inch cubes of it overnight in red wine ( possibly with some brandy too) . Take the meat out the following day and dry it off with paper towels. Roll in some flour before colouring in a pan. Put in to a casserole dish with some onions mushrooms etc, add back the marinade juice and slow cook for 3-4 hours in the oven on a low heat. Its done when the venison is tender.
    I'm lucky enough to have a supply of free wild venison and this method of cooking it has converted the non venison eaters

don't flour it before searing it, you miss one of the most important steps, the catamalisation of the meat, or Millard reaction. Add the flour later, brown the meat, then sprinkle the flour over it and stir it about it to brown the flour.

I went for a venison casserole, smells good so far!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement