Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone received a CJA confirmation programme letter from AIB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    *cough* BS *cough*
    I think you misunderstood my post...
    They weren't "opening accounts" - the accounts were already open.
    I know the currently open accounts are "open". But the customer won't be able to open any more until this is done.

For me, just during the summer, I opened a new savings account online. Only took a few minutes. Why? Because, on their system, next to my name is a tick to say that I am CJA certified. If it wasn't ticked, then I would have been told, "please visit your branch to proceed" etc. Considering I only go to a branch about once every few years, yet carry out banking transactions several times a day, I probably wouldn't have bothered.
    They didn't ask for better copies, they said they didn't have copies, and if you didn't give them copies, they'd restrict access to your account - AND - when directly questioned, as we've now seen on multiple occasions, they admit they DO have copies.
    They don't have adequate quality copies. At a guess, this could be that:
    • The photocopy taken at the time was to dark/light and when they try to scan it now, it's barely legible
    • Some copies were faxed at the time (we all know the $hite quality of faxes)
    • Copies were never taken (the last account opened might have been prior to CJA
    • Copies have been mislaid.
    • Copies might have been accidentally destroyed.
    • Copies might still exist, but not filed correctly (so difficult to find in a rush etc)
    Possibly one of many other reasons...
    So if they DO have copies, why do they need additional copies?
    as per above
    Because they're creating a central location for this info.
    Excellent. I love when companies that I deal with takes steps to become more efficient and deliver me a better service.

Not quite sure how that could possibly be a bad thing???
    And instead of spend money scanning in and collecting copies from all the branches, they reckoned it would be cheaper and easier to simply send bogus threatening letters to their customers.

So...

That's horrid behavior.
    Granted, the notice could have been done far more professionally - both the P.O. Box aspect and the lack of clarity in the explanation.

But I'm not sure where you are getting the "money" aspect to this. If they had decent copies, it would be cheaper, more efficient and easier for them to do this themselves (a few student interns for a month or 2 would get through all these manually).

To me, as a customer, I want my details to be correct, and want to be able to use the full functionality offered to customers in the future. Again, I stress my point in my previous post "it only takes a few minutes to do online". You can, of course, "stick it to the man" if that's the way you roll, but you're the only person who will suffer if they don't get updated, so it's kind of pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

dotsman wrote: »
    If it wasn't ticked, then I would have been told, "please visit your branch to proceed" etc. Considering I only go to a branch about once every few years, yet carry out banking transactions several times a day, I probably wouldn't have bothered...................................................................................................
    You can, of course, "stick it to the man" if that's the way you roll, but you're the only person who will suffer if they don't get updated, so it's kind of pointless.

Yeah, I had occasion to run across this BS recently. I simply moved my funds out of AIB into a more user friendly financial institution and left them with just my mortgage and credit card debt.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

I think you misunderstood my post...

I know the currently open accounts are "open". But the customer won't be able to open any more until this is done.

For me, just during the summer, I opened a new savings account online. Only took a few minutes. Why? Because, on their system, next to my name is a tick to say that I am CJA certified. If it wasn't ticked, then I would have been told, "please visit your branch to proceed" etc. Considering I only go to a branch about once every few years, yet carry out banking transactions several times a day, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

They don't have adequate quality copies. At a guess, this could be that:
    • The photocopy taken at the time was to dark/light and when they try to scan it now, it's barely legible
    • Some copies were faxed at the time (we all know the $hite quality of faxes)
    • Copies were never taken (the last account opened might have been prior to CJA
    • Copies have been mislaid.
    • Copies might have been accidentally destroyed.
    • Copies might still exist, but not filed correctly (so difficult to find in a rush etc)
    Possibly one of many other reasons...

as per above

Excellent. I love when companies that I deal with takes steps to become more efficient and deliver me a better service.

Not quite sure how that could possibly be a bad thing???

Granted, the notice could have been done far more professionally - both the P.O. Box aspect and the lack of clarity in the explanation.

But I'm not sure where you are getting the "money" aspect to this. If they had decent copies, it would be cheaper, more efficient and easier for them to do this themselves (a few student interns for a month or 2 would get through all these manually).

To me, as a customer, I want my details to be correct, and want to be able to use the full functionality offered to customers in the future. Again, I stress my point in my previous post "it only takes a few minutes to do online". You can, of course, "stick it to the man" if that's the way you roll, but you're the only person who will suffer if they don't get updated, so it's kind of pointless.

Ok. So you're either deliberately misrepresenting what's happened or .. Who knows.

They said that if you didn't give them copies, they would limit access to your existing account.

Not stop you from opening a new account.

They said they had copies, adequate copies, but didn't want to go to the trouble of asking the branches to sort out getting the copies to their new office.

They said that to me personally.

Others have had the same experience.

That's not extra convenience. That's a threat, with the aim of me doing their work for them.

The reason they are doing this, quite obviously, and by "this" I mean demanding customers send duplicates so that they don't have to go the the trouble of coordinating the digitisation of thousands of documents, is to save money. There's no other reason.

There's no cheaper alternative than getting people to do it for free. And no easier way to get them to do it, then with a threat.

That's cheaper and easier than hiring anyone.

--

This is not about new accounts or better copies, by their own admission.

Funny that you'd generate those two bits of nonsense for them. How interesting.

Ok. So you're either deliberately misrepresenting what's happened or .. Who knows.

Funny that you'd generate those two bits of nonsense for them. How interesting.

I admit, I'm definitely in the "Who knows" bracket. I'm actually one of the lizard people trying to control everybody's minds.

Christ, this thread really belongs in the Conspiracy forum.

Yes, AIB have not handled this professionally. But a big friggin "No", I don't see a sinister motive behind this or some conspiracy and on the grand scale of things, from small to big, this is minuscule. It takes 2 minutes - if you want to do it, do it. If you don't, then don't.

I admit, I'm definitely in the "Who knows" bracket. I'm actually one of the lizard people trying to control everybody's minds.

Christ, this thread really belongs in the Conspiracy forum.

Yes, AIB have not handled this professionally. But a big friggin "No", I don't see a sinister motive behind this or some conspiracy and on the grand scale of things, from small to big, this is minuscule. It takes 2 minutes - if you want to do it, do it. If you don't, then don't.

No that's fair enough. You just came onto this and lied about the basic facts, in a way that cast the bank in a positive light. Praising them for making your everyone's life more convenient by forcing people to send duplicate copies of documents, under the threat of cutting off complete access to existing accounts.

Thanks AIB for that wonderful innovation.

And anyone that considers it odd that you would lie and go to great lengths to paint the bank into a positive light, those people would be nuts, like David Icke.

Nailed it.

• Advertisement

No that's fair enough. You just came onto this and lied about the basic facts, in a way that cast the bank in a positive light. Praising them for making your everyone's life more convenient by forcing people to send duplicate copies of documents, under the threat of cutting off complete access to existing accounts.

Thanks AIB for that wonderful innovation.

And anyone that considers it odd that you would lie and go to great lengths to paint the bank into a positive light, those people would be nuts, like David Icke.

Nailed it.

This is getting ridiculous. I'm going to follow Mark Twain's advice on this one and leave this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

What a horrible and weird thread, Unfollowing !

This is getting ridiculous. I'm going to follow Mark Twain's advice on this one and leave this thread...

I'd recommend this quote of his:

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them how you want"

The fact is you were dishonest. Why? Who knows.

People can draw their own conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Stop the squabbling, now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Has anyone received a letter from AIB re the above, they want documentation proof of ID, I phoned them and they said it was to do with security or something to be honest they seemed a bit unsure themselves, I asked what would happen if I didn't said anything and they weren't sure but just urged me to send the documentation. I just wonder why they want it, also my I have a joint a/c with my brother who lives in another country and doesn't use the a/c it's purely for our mortgage stuff but it's a pain for me to get him to copy his documents and send them to me.

Just seems a bit odd - or am I being paranoid?!

• Advertisement

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Has anyone received a letter from AIB re the above, they want documentation proof of ID, I phoned them and they said it was to do with security or something to be honest they seemed a bit unsure themselves, I asked what would happen if I didn't said anything and they weren't sure but just urged me to send the documentation. I just wonder why they want it, also my I have a joint a/c with my brother who lives in another country and doesn't use the a/c it's purely for our mortgage stuff but it's a pain for me to get him to copy his documents and send them to me.

Just seems a bit odd - or am I being paranoid?!

They are setting up a central location for this information. Most of the existing information is in hard copies in branches. To avoid paying to centralise it themselves they simply sent out bogus threatening letter to convince their customers to do their work for them.

Call the number.

Ask if they have your details. They will check. they will say yes. They will then offer to do their job and have the branch send it to them for you.

Read between the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I rang them and told them I wasn't sending anything unless they sent me a cheque for €100 to cover my time for doing so.

They said they couldn't do that so I told them to fu(k off and do their own job by calling my branch and hung up.

Out of curiosity has anybody raised this with the financial ombudsman ? The letter clearly misrepresents the facts citing and act and consequences that quite frankly do not relate to the reality of the situation.

D3PO wrote: »
    I rang them and told them I wasn't sending anything unless they sent me a cheque for €100 to cover my time for doing so.

They said they couldn't do that so I told them to fu(k off and do their own job by calling my branch and hung up.

Out of curiosity has anybody raised this with the financial ombudsman ? The letter clearly misrepresents the facts citing and act and consequences that quite frankly do not relate to the reality of the situation.

I did, but haven't heard anything back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

How did you arrive at the €100 figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Fair play to you, personally I dont even intend to lift the phone if I get this letter, let them do their own job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I gave all this to my branch a couple of weeks ago, and am now able to apply for a credit card through my online banking, which I couldn't until this was done. I then get another letter from them yesterday saying they wrote to me previously & that I need to give them this ID stuff! They really are a joke!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I gave all this to my branch a couple of weeks ago, and am now able to apply for a credit card through my online banking, which I couldn't until this was done. I then get another letter from them yesterday saying they wrote to me previously & that I need to give them this ID stuff! They really are a joke!

Yes.

And therein lies the issue.

They are threatening people with loss of full access to their accounts, unless they provide them documents - which they ALREADY HAVE and which they KNOW they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i received that letter about 2 months back, i didn't have the ID that they were looking for, all i had was that Public Services Card that has my photo on it. So i photocopied that and sent that off.

I got another letter a few days later stating that the ID i sent was no good basically. I then filled out the online form and sent the same ID (screenshots this time).

Its been over a month now and I've heard nothing since, so it would seem they've accepted it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

To be honest it's not AIB that's the problem the cja act keeps updating AIB and other banks keep having to keep up

To be honest it's not AIB that's the problem the cja act keeps updating AIB and other banks keep having to keep up

To be honest, no one is saying that.

To be honest AIB is threatening customers with losing full access to their accounts unless they provide duplicates of documents, which they claim they don't have, even though when questioned they admit they do have them - and the justification for this behaviour is to simply avoid having to contact the branches and collect and digitise the information themselves. To save money.

To be honest, like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Are they not required to get up to date info every few years though?

Are they not required to get up to date info every few years though?

That's unrelated to this thread.

This thread is about threatening letters sent to customers, which falsely state that AIB doesn't have documentation for customers, when in fact they do.

So. A completely different topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭Doge

Gordon wrote: »

Could a moderator please let me know why this thread was deleted?

I received the letter today also, and I want to get more information about it.

I'd like to know why the thread was deleted instead of locked.

I haven't seen the thread btw.

Thanks.

After reading more into this, the reason I received the letter is because I never had to give them photo ID, as I have an account with them for decades, and it wasn't required at the time.

I am required by law to provide photo ID (for the first time) to keep my account active?

Will try and find out what "Restrictions" could be imposed on my account, and what date they plan on doing this in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

waveform wrote: »
    Could a moderator please let me know why this thread was deleted?

It wasn't deleted. It was one of 3 other threads that were merged with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

I knew when I seen this, that something was going on.

Terms and conditions state:

For marketing purposes. AIB may publish the [original and] modified Tech Age photo generated in the process of entering the competition on “The Lab” Facebook page, Facebook.com/ThelabAIB, Twitter page twitter.com/ThelabAIB (these pages are also displayed on the social media wall in-store at Level1, Dundrum Town Centre and on the in-store screens (separate to the social media wall).
    For the purpose of the Competition. Competition winners may be requested to take part in promotional activity and we reserve the right to use information relating to Competition winners, including their names and the contents of their submissions, in any publicity both online and in any other media.
    For direct marketing purposes. To advise you of the products and services of AIB Group. Your permission to market such products and services is provided by you to AIB Group when entering the Competition. To stop future marketing, membership may be cancelled by contacting AIB Online Retailing, AIB Bank, Bankcentre, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Ireland.
    To manage and develop AIB Group relationships with you and any future agreements that we may have with you.
    To carry out statistical analysis and market research. in this regard, we may use the services of a reputable external agency.
    To carry out searches (including verifying your identity).

Mr E wrote: »
    It wasn't deleted. It was one of 3 other threads that were merged with this one.

Thanks for the clarification.

There should really have been a post in this thread saying they were merged to avoid confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This gets even odder, I have a letter from AIB VISA saying that they have searched but cannot find my original credit agreement, but when I closed my account in the Summer, my local branch had to go 'upstairs' to view my signature and they found it on my credit card application, or so they said.

I dont have much confidence in AIB's document handling.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    This gets even odder, I have a letter from AIB VISA saying that they have searched but cannot find my original credit agreement, but when I closed my account in the Summer, my local branch had to go 'upstairs' to view my signature and they found it on my credit card application, or so they said.

I dont have much confidence in AIB's document handling.

This post underlines the reality of the situation:

EITHER AIB has lost documentation for thousands of customers OR they are getting their customers to do their work for them, under threat of losing complete access to their account.

If AIB DID lose the data of thousands of customers, that would be major news and a massive data protection breach...

So which is it?

Are they wildly incompetent, or just massive jerks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

This post underlines the reality of the situation:

EITHER AIB has lost documentation for thousands of customers OR they are getting their customers to do their work for them, under threat of losing complete access to their account.

If AIB DID lose the data of thousands of customers, that would be major news and a massive data protection breach...

So which is it?

Are they wildly incompetent, or just massive jerks?

I work there and as a banking institution we are wildly incompetent. I find it hard to understand that we still have the huge customer base we do after all the scandals over the years. The bank is totally mismanaged and the have cut too many staff and plan to cut more so expect customer service to deteriorate further. Proper talent in the bank is not being acknowledged and the same management that caused the crisis still hold their positions. I cannot wait to get out!

Advertisement