Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From 5k, to 10k... and beyond!

• 03-08-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Right I guess it's time I set up one of these :D There will probably be some identifying info at some point in here so I set up a new account for it.

Anyway, some facts, I'm 21 and last August I injured by back, this meant that I was very immobile and the activity I did, lots of walking mainly, ceased. Over this time I put on a good bit of weight and lost the thimbleful of fitness I had. At my worst I was 14 and a half stone, I'm 6 foot 1 so it was not disastrous but I was heading in a bad direction. When my back started getting better I decided to get into proper shape, which I've never been. Stage one was to do the C25k program which I successfully finished a few weeks ago :D I'd never ran before so I was really proud of this.

I've been a bit aimless since I finished the C25k program, hopefully the log will help with that. I run three times a week, Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. What I have been doing is adding an extra five minutes onto my run every Saturday, then run that distance again on Monday and Wednesday, before increasing it again. For example,today, (Saturday) I'll be doing a 45 min run, up from 40 on Wednesday. I dunno if this is the right way to do things but I really don't want to go back to the intervals of walking and running. Any ideas with regards to this would be most welcome. I'm thinking of adding in an extra 5k run on someday during the week, and focus on getting my time down for that. (Last time I timed myself running 5k a few weeks ago after the C25k program I completed it in just under 30 mins).

My goal is pretty simple, I want to lose weight and get into good shape. I'm currently 14 stone so I am making some progress on that front.

I'm not too fussed about running races at the moment but it is probably something I'll end up doing.

I definitely want to run a marathon one day, that's my long term goal, just to do one of them would be brilliant, just to be able to say that I did one.

Short term I want to be able to run 10k.

I downloaded the map my run app so I'll be able to report back with distance/time/pace info after my 45 min run later today.

Any thoughts/encouragement would be most welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Run didn't go so well. I had to stop running after about 37/38 mins because both of my achillies were hurting - wasn't excruciating and I could have kept running but because a couple of weeks ago I had the same the same problem I stopped. Took about a week of stretching and rolling to get them back to normal.

I think they may be sore today because the pitch were I run was quite soft after the rain. It's a shame because my run was going really well and I felt great. I hope they aren't very sore in the morning, I'd hate to have to miss any runs next week.

I think my body is telling me that I am doing too much too quickly and my running plan is crap.

I've looked online for a plan and I came across this one:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program
    QedGI5H.png

It looks pretty good to me, I have a stationary bike in my house so I could use that for cross training, and I have been dabbling in yoga, could fit that in there too for the strength/stretch.

Dunno if I need to start off at week one, I've been running at least 6k three times a week for the past two weeks. I was thinking of starting at week three? Any idea?

Almost forgot, run today was 6.34k in 39mins. Last km or so was quite slow because of my achillies.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Run didn't go so well. I had to stop running after about 37/38 mins because both of my achillies were hurting - wasn't excruciating and I could have kept running but because a couple of weeks ago I had the same the same problem I stopped. Took about a week of stretching and rolling to get them back to normal.

I think they may be sore today because the pitch were I run was quite soft after the rain. It's a shame because my run was going really well and I felt great. I hope they aren't very sore in the morning, I'd hate to have to miss any runs next week.

I think my body is telling me that I am doing too much too quickly and my running plan is crap.

I've looked online for a plan and I came across this one:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program
    QedGI5H.png

It looks pretty good to me, I have a stationary bike in my house so I could use that for cross training, and I have been dabbling in yoga, could fit that in there too for the strength/stretch.

Dunno if I need to start off at week one, I've been running at least 6k three times a week for the past two weeks. I was thinking of starting at week three? Any idea?

Almost forgot, run today was 6.34k in 39mins. Last km or so was quite slow because of my achillies.

Congrats on finishing c25k ;) I'm not far behind you!! The plan looks good but you maybe right when you say your body is telling you something. If you haven't any races planned why not start at week 1 or 2?

Congrats on finishing c25k ;) I'm not far behind you!! The plan looks good but you maybe right when you say your body is telling you something. If you haven't any races planned why not start at week 1 or 2?

Yeah you might be right, I just don't like the idea of dropping my weekly mileage that much, for example the total mileage in week 1 is only 7.5 miles, approx 12k weekly which is only 2/3 what I'm doing now - but then again what I'm doing now is hurting me lol. Plus it has the cross training too I guess... Yeah you are right there is no need to rush things so I will just start at week one. (plus the reduced running will help my achillies).

Right, I've started that plan, wasn't sure what to do yesterday for the stretching/strength so just did a bit of yoga and some pressups, I'm going to buy some weights and use them. Heading out for a run in an hour or so, 2.5 miles which is a shade over 4km. It's shorter than my normal runs but I will up the speed a little bit. I got the exercise bike out of the garage and set it up, so I am ready to hit that tomorrow!

Thankfully my achillies feels ok today! Touch wood they feel the same after my run.

Look up core strengthening/flexibility (as some of the men around here like to call it :rolleyes: .....I call it pilates:D) on youtube or google for some ideas.

• Advertisement

Right, back from my run! Here are the details:

DDN5gb9.png

And the split times:

KmK1Sxf.png

The run went very well, and my legs don't feel in bits afterwards!

I got slower as I went on but my pace was substantially faster than on my other runs, the average is usually approaching 6:30 mins per km. I wasn't killing myself today either so in hindsight I may have been taking it a bit too easy on my other runs. So I'm happy with today, off to a good start.

I'm looking forward to getting on the bike tomorrow.

Look up core strengthening/flexibility (as some of the men around here like to call it :rolleyes: .....I call it pilates:D) on youtube or google for some ideas.
    I'm secure in my masculinity so I don't mind what it's called :D Sure I already do some yoga!

It's a good idea, my physio highly recommended it when I went to see him about my back but I went with yoga instead, how does pilates differ? I've gone off the yoga a bit, I have a bunch of DVDs and I've done some of the workouts (the ones I'm able to do) so many times it just bores me a bit at this stage.

I'm secure in my masculinity so I don't mind what it's called :D Sure I already do some yoga!

It's a good idea, my physio highly recommended it when I went to see him about my back but I went with yoga instead, how does pilates differ? I've gone off the yoga a bit, I have a bunch of DVDs and I've done some of the workouts (the ones I'm able to do) so many times it just bores me a bit at this stage.

Not sure how it compares to yoga as I haven't done it but if you have back trouble as I do I can't recommend it enough. If you've got a smartphone or tablet check out sworkit app, as recommended by my marathon running OH! ;)

Not sure how it compares to yoga as I haven't done it but if you have back trouble as I do I can't recommend it enough. If you've got a smartphone or tablet check out sworkit app, as recommended by my marathon running OH! ;)
    Downloaded that app, it looks very good, I'll have to give it a shot, thanks :)

Still working away, did the 30 mins on the bike, enjoyed it, but I was a bit sore from the saddle the next day, hadn't been on any kind of bike in ages!

Took yesterday off instead of today due to the weather, just back from my 2 mile run, running in the morning doesn't really agree with me I don't think.

YQYqXrG.png

WuXiC86.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Like the OP I have just finished the c25k program and am at a bit of a loss what to do or to be more exact how to go onto the next phase.
    I actually finished the c25k program in 5 weeks as I was able to run 5k by then so I didn't see the point in continuing when I was already able do the 5k.
    I ran my first 5k in a time of 29min 50 secs and 4 5k runs later I have that time down to 26min49secs.
    I really want to go onto a 10k now but I also don't really want to go back to run/walk/run,unless of course someone with more knowledge than me tells me it's the best way to go?

Last night I went out and decide to run faster for a shorter distance and I done a 2.5k in 12min10secs,I was fairly wrecked after it and would not have been able to complete a 5k at the pace.I waited a short while then ran as fast as I could for 1k and managed to do it in 4min44secs but once again I could not have run at that pace for even a 2.5k never mind a 5k.

Any advice on where to go from here would be great. Like the OP my ultimate goal in time would be a marathon but for now my goal is 10k and a faster 5k.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.

Casey78 wrote: »
    Like the OP I have just finished the c25k program and am at a bit of a loss what to do or to be more exact how to go onto the next phase.
    I actually finished the c25k program in 5 weeks as I was able to run 5k by then so I didn't see the point in continuing when I was already able do the 5k.
    I ran my first 5k in a time of 29min 50 secs and 4 5k runs later I have that time down to 26min49secs.
    I really want to go onto a 10k now but I also don't really want to go back to run/walk/run,unless of course someone with more knowledge than me tells me it's the best way to go?

Last night I went out and decide to run faster for a shorter distance and I done a 2.5k in 12min10secs,I was fairly wrecked after it and would not have been able to complete a 5k at the pace.I waited a short while then ran as fast as I could for 1k and managed to do it in 4min44secs but once again I could not have run at that pace for even a 2.5k never mind a 5k.

Any advice on where to go from here would be great. Like the OP my ultimate goal in time would be a marathon but for now my goal is 10k and a faster 5k.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.
    No problem, it's good to hear from others in the same boat as me :) I'd recommend the program I linked above, I've only done a week of it but it seems very good, in particular the cross training bit. I haven't done anything since sunday because I have been super busy and away a bit, but I'm glad that I have really missed getting out and running. Back to the plan on friday.

Really let things slip this week, did 40 mins on the bike today (17.1kms apparantly) and am gonna do 5k on my run tomorrow. The goal is to get under 30 mins.

Then I'm gonna start week two of the plan above come Monday.

q7oe.png

CLYtT99.png

Not too bad, very happy with that considering I had pretty much no training this week, plus I had to stop to cross a couple of roads on that run which slowed me down a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

what app are you using? I use nike plus

Casey78 wrote: »
    what app are you using? I use nike plus

I use map my run, it's very good

zKyOVsf.png

gpby.png

Nice enough run today.

Havn't been doing much running wise, injured again :( My achillies. Starting to think that running just doesn't agree with me. Running plan lies in tatters.

I've been doing some of the exercise bike and thats been going well so I think I might just stick with that, only run once or twice a week (5k) and shift the excess weight, which might make the running easier down the road.

Advertisement