Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can family member freeze alcoholics Bank account

• 03-08-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,
    I need some urgent help... I have a friend who is literally watching her brother drink himself to death and feels the only hope she could possibly have of stopping him is to get his bank account frozen as he has a very large amount of cash in it... Would this be Legally possible to do???
    If so how would she go about it????.
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

paddyjnr wrote: »
    Hi,
    I need some urgent help... I have a friend who is literally watching her brother drink himself to death and feels the only hope she could possibly have of stopping him is to get his bank account frozen as he has a very large amount of cash in it... Would this be Legally possible to do???
    Thank you

No I don't think so. His money he can do whatever he likes with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

jca wrote: »
    No I don't think so. His money he can do whatever he likes with it.

Maybe if he was persuaded to get some treatment and if professional advice was that he was a hopeless case, then it may be possible to get him made a Ward of Court. Then the Office of the Wards of court would administer his accounts. OP, advise your friend to seek professional Medical and also Legal advice.

Maybe if he was persuaded to get some treatment and if professional advice was that he was a hopeless case, then it may be possible to get him made a Ward of Court. Then the Office of the Wards of court would administer his accounts. OP, advise your friend to seek professional Medical and also Legal advice.

Easier said than done unfortunately. Alcoholics are very clever when it comes to holding onto their money. Unless he's found to be incompetent he can't be made a ward of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 paddyjnr

Thanks guys... don't think he feels he needs professional help that's the problem.... Maybe when he gets sick enough from it , he might but I guess she'll just have to wait until then... It's so sad really... It would probably do him the world of good if his finances could be put on hold for a little while until he sees sense...

Its a terrible dilemma one thats very difficult to both look at and resolve. I'm looking at it every day with a family member too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Lbeard

Thank you

My friend.

Not only do we know about the law here....but we also know about crime

And for the perfect crime you have come to the right place.

Your friend needs to contact the bank, not to get them to freeze her brother's account, but that they need to be a signatory on the account. Get the documents, get her brother well manged on drink and drugs....get him to sign the documents....file them with the bank and ..then ***** his account like a ***** ****. ..............For safe keeping - that should sober him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 paddyjnr

Lbeard wrote: »
    My friend.

Your friend needs to contact the bank, not to get them to freeze her brother's account, but that they need to be a signatory on the account. Get the documents, get her brother well manged on drink and drugs....get him to sign the documents....file them with the bank and ..then ***** his account like a ***** ****. ..............For safe keeping - that should sober him up.

Well now there is a novel idea... I wonder is it as easy as getting forms and coaxing him to sign them... It could possibly be done I would imagine and it really is in the best interest of said person should it go 'belly up'..
    Might be worth a look into it...
    Anything is better than the situation at the moment..

Well now there is a novel idea... I wonder is it as easy as getting forms and coaxing him to sign them... ..

This kind of thing is done. Sometimes though it is family members trying to rob a vulnerable member. Or it can be an acquaintance sometimes too. I was talking to an English couple before, and a "friend" of theirs had made themselves a signatory on their joint bank account. Not only did the "friend" empty their bank account but he also ran up loans and credit card debt. The guy did it through a mixture of identity theft and the fact that banks do not really know their customers anymore (it's a call centre not branch.) If you're going to do this, don't do anything illegal. Do not impersonate him - which is something that can be done relatively easily.
    It could possibly be done I would imagine and it really is in the best interest of said person should it go 'belly up'..

There is a certain kind of drinker around, that if they get wind of someone who has some money, and likes a drink - they'll help them drink their way through it.
    Might be worth a look into it...
    Anything is better than the situation at the moment

Talk to a solicitor - getting someone made a ward of the court is a legal procedure. Also find out who else you can talk to . There is no law against drinking yourself to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

My friend.

We don't, however, know anything about punctuation.

We don't, however, know anything about punctuation.

How would you like......me.... to punctuate your face......for you?

Thank you, for your highly constructive criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Alcoholism in one person might be heavy drinking in another. Bodies and psyches are different and the reasons both physical and psychological will also differ.

Be very, very careful about cutting off your relative's funds without having spoken to their doctor and/or psychiatrist. An alcoholic can have very severe, even fatal health problems if they go into sudden withdrawal just like any other junkie.

If your relative is sufficiently motivated to seek money to get drink, you could be driving him or her to money-lenders or pay-day-cash type situations which would not be in their best interests.

What particular circumstances are leading you to ask for this information? Is it that they are drinking more than you consider appropriate or are they unable to look after themselves? I sometimes see offspring/relatives/heirs decide that their parent/relative is spending too much of their inheritance on "something" and seeking to modify another - perfectly lucid - person's behaviour extremely inappropriately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

How would you like......me.... to punctuate your face......for you?

Thank you, for your highly constructive criticism.

Correctly would be a good start.

Correctly would be a good start.

Shouldn't that be: Correctly, would be a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Shouldn't that be: Correctly, would be a start.

No.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement