Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet, reader-friendly coffeeshop in Dublin?

Options
  • 03-08-2013 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Not sure if this is the best place for this :) But I'm sure ye folks would have good suggestions.

I've found it frustratingly difficult to find a nice cafe in Dublin which is geared towards readers (comfortable chairs, QUIET, etc.)

Often there's a small area where people go to read, but it's still connected to the rest of the place, so it's really loud :( This reminds me of libraries (Tallaght, for example) that have study sections for students, and then a bloody creche/play area in the same area! Maybe I'm just precious, but I need a bit of peace & quiet to be able to concentrate.

Any suggestions for Dublin city? I guess others might like some suggestions for the rest of the country too

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I believe The Winding Stair along the quays in Dublin is a good place. I haven't been there myself but my friend loved it before she moved back to America. This was a few years ago but it's worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

You're right it's hard to find anywhere. The library bar in the afternoon is quiet sometimes. Nice comfy chairs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aliceayres

How about The Tea Garden on the Quays? Used to go there to play chess and it was very pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

A lot of pubs are very quiet these days plus most have comfy chairs :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Demi D

If you are o'k with a bit of background noise I'd recommend costa coffee or accents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Accents is definitely what youre after. Its on Stephen St (next to South William St at the Stephens Green end). Lovely place, big comfy chairs, extremely friendly staff, nice food and coffee, and quiet! They even have a big library/book exchange so reading is definitely encouraged. Its also got that wonderful vibe, which is hard to get in Dublin these days, where you know youre in no way being rushed. If you wanna read all afternoon sipping a coffee or two, they're all for that. Last of all they're open late, which is a nice bonus.

Jaysus I sound like a shill for the place, but I honestly cant recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

++1 on Accents.

I also like the Insommnia near the Jervis Luas stop, it's a bit quieter and conducive to a nice calm reading of your book. I am also very fond of the Gresham Hotel, if I want a quiet place to read. Another nice quiet hotel is Brooks on Drury St. but I shouldn't be telling you this, I want to keep it to myself. The price of coffee there is quite reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Accents is definitely what youre after. Its on Stephen St (next to South William St at the Stephens Green end). Lovely place, big comfy chairs, extremely friendly staff, nice food and coffee, and quiet! They even have a big library/book exchange so reading is definitely encouraged. Its also got that wonderful vibe, which is hard to get in Dublin these days, where you know youre in no way being rushed. If you wanna read all afternoon sipping a coffee or two, they're all for that. Last of all they're open late, which is a nice bonus.

Jaysus I sound like a shill for the place, but I honestly cant recommend it enough.

I love Accents but it's not great for reading primarily due to the background music (great music when I was last in there, but background music isn't great for reading). They may have changed their policy in the last while, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I believe The Winding Stair along the quays in Dublin is a good place. I haven't been there myself but my friend loved it before she moved back to America. This was a few years ago but it's worth a look.

I used to love the Winding Stair it had a booky athmosphere but was always crowded at lunchtime, afternoons were much quieter. Though I'm out of Dublin many years now it still brings back fond memories.

You could also pop into The Irish Writers centre on Parnell Square for a quiet library space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Pretzill wrote: »
    I used to love the Winding Stair it had a booky athmosphere but was always crowded at lunchtime, afternoons were much quieter. Though I'm out of Dublin many years now it still brings back fond memories.

Isn't The Winding Stair more of a proper restaurant nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Isn't The Winding Stair more of a proper restaurant nowadays?

Could well be as I said it's been many years since I've been in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

dr gonzo wrote: »

Was in Accents last weekend - it's nice, but found it a bit loud between the music, cars driving past, and the coffee machine.

But I think that's cos I was sitting in the front area, is the area at the back a bit quieter?

Staff were very nice. And the chocolate brownie was delish! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

O'Donoghues early in the evening before the crowds arrive.

However, I think it's more of a mental state thing to read in a noisy room; you need a lot of focus and to marginaise the outside cacophony.

I've read a fair swedge of Ayn Rand's 'The Fountainhead' in Fibber Magees back in the day.... mixed berry Kopparberg beside me, some screaming metal on the stereo. Just takes focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't have that kind of focus :( It's a handicap I've struggled with for years! Unless I'm able to concentrate, I'll end up reading a page or two, and then realising I didn't take in anything that I read - so I'll have to go back and read them again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Dave! wrote: »
    I don't have that kind of focus :( It's a handicap I've struggled with for years! Unless I'm able to concentrate, I'll end up reading a page or two, and then realising I didn't take in anything that I read - so I'll have to go back and read them again!

:( There was one place, a Costa Coffee, I think, on Jervis Street, I think, near that role-playing models shop.... fuck my memory, I think it was there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Vice on Abbey St, used to have a bookshop above it when it was 3FE but still a nice place to go for a coffee and a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Lexe

Starbucks on Westmoreland St. is lovely & comfy as well. Upstairs is much quieter if you want to read or work. I love the atmosphere and decor. Also what I noticed is that there is a really random crowd, Starbucks typically in other countries is quite a young hip coffee shop but because this was the old Bewleys you get a real mixture of ages, everyone really, which I think is really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

Have you tried ear plugs? I am also easily distracted but love reading and they were a gift from god. I like the foam ones better than the wax ones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Third Space in Smithfield is really nice. It's even got a book shelf full of books you can have a little read of if you're without a book. You can swap your old books for their books if any tickle your fancy.

Not sure how quiet it is though. I don't remember any loud music or that but it can get a bit busy around lunch time.

Oh, and their food is delicious too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Was in Accents last weekend - it's nice, but found it a bit loud between the music, cars driving past, and the coffee machine.

But I think that's cos I was sitting in the front area, is the area at the back a bit quieter?

Staff were very nice. And the chocolate brownie was delish! :eek:

Downstairs is a lot quieter than upstairs, kind of a sitting room vibe. I dont remember any music downstairs but it could well be an issue there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭TwoGallants

I don't live in Dublin any more, but some of my favourite places were:

The Costa on Nassau st. (downstairs)
    The starbucks on college green (Try to get sitting outside early and on a nice day. Its on a little plaza thing too, you do have to put up with the loud taximen sometimes too. Can't really hear the traffic all that much. You get the occasional scumbag wandering around as well)
    There is a wonderful little place on clanbrassil st. quite near to St. Patricks. Nice chairs, cool atmosphere.

Best of luck.

Advertisement