Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city at night how bad is it really?

Options
  • 03-08-2013 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Get the Luas in now and again but I like to get out before 6 or 7.
    I see a lot of scum around the Abbey Street and Smithfield stops.

I remember as a child in the mid to late 80s the city was never a nice place at night anyway.
    Eating out or cinema trips at night in the city center are they worth it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I've never had any trouble in Dublin at night.
    Yes there are places i wouldn't go in the city,but isn't that the same as everywhere?

For Cinema and a meal?,no trouble.Anybody who say's there would be is talking bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

That cinema in Smithfield looks really nice but the spot puts me off and I being too paranoid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes, definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I'm out at night in town all the time & have never felt unsafe. Yea there's a few areas I'd stay clear of but I find the main areas (College Green, Grafton Street, Temple Bar, Westmoreland street etc.) are completely safe in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I don't venture in town at night very often (I'm in town a lot during the day) but the times I have been, I've felt safe enough.

I know there's been a lot of bag/phone snatchings on Abbey Street in the last few months and a few undesirables hanging around, but generally I would stick to well-lit, busy areas and I feel safe enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

It's not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

I never feel overly safe in the city centre at night but it definitely is fine and I'd have no problems going cinema/meal/out and then walking around. The poor lighting on many of our main streets makes it feel much worse than it really is. Parnell st, College Green, Westmoreland st and Dolier st are the worst offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shankly88

Everywhere along main streets and roads with traffic is fine. Walking around the likes of o'devany gardens with your Iphone in your hand is looking for trouble. Cinema and meal is perfectly fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I have found it fine over the years. Once you stay aware at all times and don't walk down any alleyways for shortcuts, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I just think, it's worse during the summer months, especially when you have kids hanging around in front of city council housing estates. Don't know, how many times I nearly got knocked off the bike :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

I avoid the city centre like a plague at night. Having said that I've never actually had any trouble, even walking home down Pearse St at about 1am several nights. If anything it's worse between 5om and 9pm when the streets are full of scummy kids making everyone's lives a misery.

Also I don't drink so I don't have to go near any of the pub areas, which I would definitely consider to be dangerous and to be avoided- Temple Bar, Wexford St, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Shankly88 wrote: »
    Walking around the likes of o'devany gardens with your Iphone in your hand is looking for trouble.

Going anywhere near O'Devaney gardens is like signing your own death cert. Its an absolutely shocking place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most of Dublin 1/2 is on CCTV and monitored constantly. I went to one of the Garda stations in Dublin 2 to get my passport application form stamped and half of the city centre was on a monitor.

Every city has its ****ty areas. Even parts of manhattan are a complete no go zone. But around college green is fine. I have walked from the city centre to drumcondra several times at 4,30 am with not a single problem. The city is a lot safer than you think. Most of its social problem have been moved to outer surburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Also I don't drink so I don't have to go near any of the pub areas, which I would definitely consider to be dangerous and to be avoided- Temple Bar, Wexford St, for example.

Ah come on, Wexford street isn't a bit dangerous. And neither is Temple Bar, although I agree it can be best avoided late at night on weekends due to annoying drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

So you don't go these areas, yet you know they are dangerous and to be avoided?? :confused:

As said above, the main areas in Dublin are very safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

No bother unless you act like an eejit or go looking for some.

Plenty of Gardai about in the main areas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've walked around the main areas, and walked home, at night and never felt threatened. Main places like the quays, the south of O'Connell street, Westmoreland St, College Green are well populated and generally grand. Don't wander down alleys, don't wave your phone or cash around, and keep a hand on your handbag and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

i don't find certain areas any worse than they are during the day, such as the crappy OCS area.
    But i do think we can't hold our alcohol as much as we think. I usually bump into "men" in their 20's picking fights with me or others when they know their group of 10 will back them up. Mostly they just make a wise ass remark as they pass. Not a Dublin only problem

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Get out before 6 or 7?:eek: Wexford St dangerous?:eek:

I don't bump into any groups of men wanting to pick fights and I'm in the city centre until midnight almost every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Wexford Street and Temple Bar are dangerous? Really? There's bars and fast food places and people drinking but that's it. There might be the odd alcohol related scuffle (as with any city) to consider them to be 'dangerous'? Come on. Dangerous implies absolute no go zones, somewhere like the Tenderloin in San Francisco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Wexford Street and Temple Bar are dangerous? Really? There's bars and fast food places and people drinking but that's it. There might be the odd alcohol related scuffle (as with any city) to consider them to be 'dangerous'? Come on. Dangerous implies absolute no go zones, somewhere like the Tenderloin in San Francisco.

wexford street i would commonly see people picking fights they know they will win. Not too often and not enough to call it a dangerous area.
    Temple bar and westmoreland street i would keep my wits about me. I see a lot of "aggressive begging" there but its heavily policed at night.
    Neither areas would be no-go or considered dangerous, but i would keep some bit of guard around there

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭numbnutz

I feel safer in town at night than I do during the day... I dont know why.If you can walk through town without a pointy head on you on at night you'll be fine.As Pang has said before me no alleys for shortcuts.It is a lot safer than years gone past.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Eating out or cinema trips at night in the city center are they worth it?

No, for you, no. Don't go out, don't travel, whatever you do, don't eat street food or pat strange dogs. NEVER cross a road unless accompanied by a lollypop man (don't trust lollypop women). Don't make eye contact with anyone but you mother (unless you're masturbating). Don't play with a bicycle pump, you'll get warts. Don't drink the tap water, or get ice in your drink..

Ah, feck that, go to the cinema, eat out and have some fun and above all... enjoy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭goiko

As a tourist (soon-to-be resident in Dublin :P) I don't find it particularly dangerous. I have been in the city centre at night quite a few times and never had any problem. Maybe the amount of drug addicts on the streets in comparison to my home town makes it look a bit unsafe but I wouldn't say it's true at all, you just need to be careful just like in any other city.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

I do shift work in the city centre, just off o'connell street, and am in and out at all hours. I walk from there back to Rathmines and the worst area, in all honesty, is outside the likes of Coppers and that line of bars n the top of Harcourt Street - Feel more uneasy there thank I would on Talbot Street or Abbey Street

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

That cinema in Smithfield looks really nice but the spot puts me off and I being too paranoid?

we go there all time. It is a great spot, as is the pub next door.

never ha any trouble or seen any trouble and we would be there 2/3 times a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Going anywhere near O'Devaney gardens is like signing your own death cert. Its an absolutely shocking place.

I live right beside there and have never had any trouble.

Its not particularily nice but to describe going near it as 'signing your own death cert' is one of the more pathetic things I have read here in a while.

I wonder how people survive when in this city when so many places are considered hyper-dangerous, no go areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

Dublin City at night is fine once you don't enter quiet streets on your own. Stick to the main streets and once your in a crowd your grand. Don't walk down a quiet street where up ahead you see some dodgy looking characters... kinda common sense really!

Other than that enjoy yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dani049

I'm from the countryside and have been in Dublin numerous times when it was late/dark, and as a solo female I never felt unsafe. Some areas gave me a bit more of an uneasy feeling (middle/lower abbey street, talbot street) but I never actually had any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I always feel uneasy walking down Talbot street, nevermind the night.

Advertisement