Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city at night how bad is it really?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's remarkably safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

I'd actually rather certain places at night than during the day; Henry Street, Grafton Street, Pearse Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I've noticed on a couple occasions that people who live in pretty suburban areas get their knickers in a twist in urban areas. A friend of mine freaked when we walked by four oul lads drinking bottles of cider, he honestly thought they could be a threat to him.

But the thing is these addicts/drunks are mostly harmless, they just look really dodgy and quite frankly are annoying at times.

I think what might worry me, is when beggars get aggressive and the men in the group might get all macho instead of just laughing them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Mr.S wrote: »
    This!

I despise walking up Harcourt street after 3am, its like a war zone with all the drunks and rickshaws.

Add to that Camden/Wexford st area, madness at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mr.S wrote: »
    This!

I despise walking up Harcourt street after 3am, its like a war zone with all the drunks and rickshaws.

Dublin CC is quite safe at all hours, as with all places if you keep your wits on you, you'll be fine.

I drink around that area regularly and never seen any kind of trouble and have also been there many a time sober getting something to eat around that time and never seen one bit of trouble one of the safest areas at night imo.

Plus rickshaws are not a reason to be fearful of an area or make it like a warzone ;).

• Advertisement

I must say this thread is a refreshing antidote to the huge amount of 'scumbag' threads that has plagued Boards recently

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

I must say this thread is a refreshing antidote to the huge amount of 'scumbag' threads that has plagued Boards recently

Very true.

Its easy to pick on the negative aspects of anywhere. And granted, Dublin isnt perfect.

But to be fair, its generally a fantastic place and for a night out, I personally don't think you can beat it. And a big part of that is the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I practically never feel unsafe in the CC, the Northside suburbs are a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

I practically never feel unsafe in the CC, the Northside suburbs are a different story.

Bit of an exaggeration there Carl! Parts of the Northside suburbs are dodgy and I don't need to name the places but plenty of the same across the liffey!

Sure just stay over in NYC and you won't have to worry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Going anywhere near O'Devaney gardens is like signing your own death cert. Its an absolutely shocking place.

Nonsense. The gardens themselves aren't the best area in the world but I live up beside them and have never had even the slightest bit of trouble from anyone in the area.
    reprazant wrote: »
    I live right beside there and have never had any trouble.

Likewise. I like where I live and have never had a bit of trouble up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I live in Glasnevin and have walked home from Capel St after midnight a good few times and never saw anything remotely dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Lux23 wrote: »
    I've noticed on a couple occasions that people who live in pretty suburban areas get their knickers in a twist in urban areas. A friend of mine freaked when we walked by four oul lads drinking bottles of cider, he honestly thought they could be a threat to him.

But the thing is these addicts/drunks are mostly harmless, they just look really dodgy and quite frankly are annoying at times.

I think what might worry me, is when beggars get aggressive and the men in the group might get all macho instead of just laughing them off.
    Exactly. A lot of the sheltered suburbanites don't know what to expect, nor how to behave in town. As you pointed out, you just have to turn a blind eye to a lot of things. Some middle-class folk think that anybody in town who looks a bit unkempt is out to get them in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

It took 4 pages before someone trotted out the usual northside nonsense. There are parts of the city, (both north and south) that I would be wary of walking through and would be more vigilant at night but nowhere I would avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Don't mean to derail this thread but I was wondering the same about Dublin City. Have family visiting next Saturday and we plan to go to Dublin for the day, But reading some of these posts and from what I've heard from friends i'm concerned.

Main things my friends were telling me is that the main tourist streets are badly policed so it's always full of scumbags who are out looking to start trouble. I can handle myself well but i'm going with older family members and don't want them getting a fright or anything.

We'll be getting the bus up then doing the normal first time things like going on the tour bus, the Zoo, Guinness factory etc...

Just hope we don't run into trouble for their sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I can handle myself well but i'm going with older family members and don't want them getting a fright or anything.

I would imagine that they have lived through worse than what daytime Dublin can throw at them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Don't mean to derail this thread but I was wondering the same about Dublin City. Have family visiting next Saturday and we plan to go to Dublin for the day, But reading some of these posts and from what I've heard from friends i'm concerned.

Main things my friends were telling me is that the main tourist streets are badly policed so it's always full of scumbags who are out looking to start trouble. I can handle myself well but i'm going with older family members and don't want them getting a fright or anything.

We'll be getting the bus up then doing the normal first time things like going on the tour bus, the Zoo, Guinness factory etc...

If you don't look for trouble where there is none, you and your family will be absolutely fine.

I don't know where you got the impression that the city is "always full of scumbags who are out looking to start trouble" but take it from a woman who lives and works in the city centre and walks everywhere alone day and night, it is completely untrue. The only thing you will need to 'handle' is your shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

I don't understand this thread or the people at all. I mean do a lot of people spend their life in perpetual fear? I've seen simialr ones of people scared to go into temple bar after 6 pm. (It's loud and their are drunk people but it's definitely not dangerous).

I'm not originally from Dublin and since moving here I have never felt worried walking around Dublin at any time of day and I live off Parnell Street which seems for whatever reason to scare people.

Granted there are lots of drunkards who may be rowdy but they are highly unlikely to start a fight with you, the same as the addicts and street drinkers. they look scary but never really cause much harm.

Granted I know there are phone thefts and what not in city centre, but again how do so many people live in fear their whole life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Be weeary of the O connel street areas. You will more than likely be fine but there are a lot of junkies, drunks and scum around there with no policing. Just keep your wits about you and don't walk down any alleys

What trouble do you think you will run into? What exactly is it that you think might happen? Yes you will see drug addicts on main streets , but are you scared of just viewing people?

EyeSight wrote: »
    Be weeary of the O connel street areas. You will more than likely be fine but there are a lot of junkies, drunks and scum around there with no policing. Just keep your wits about you and don't walk down any alleys

What will happen???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Some people are just far more nervous than they should be. I've hung around countless cities around the World including some more dodgy ones and it really is easy enough to avoid trouble. Obviously there'll be freak incidents but they're incredibly rare.

Dublin isn't unsafe at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

chopser wrote: »
    What will happen???

THEY COULD LOOK AT YOU!!! AHHHHHH!!!!

The last couple of times I have been on O'Connell St after dark there has actually been a visible police presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

What trouble do you think you will run into? What exactly is it that you think might happen? Yes you will see drug addicts on main streets , but are you scared of just viewing people?

I'm just being cautious because i'll be going with family. Wouldn't have to ask if I was going on my own, The junkies and all that don't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I imagine a lot of the fear can be put down to bucolic sensibilities, which are still genetically ingrained in some suburban Dubs leading them to long for retirement when they can finally get out of the dangerous city and into the clean country air.

I get the Red Line past Heuston, and every day I see older country people making a big song and dance about safety in the city centre. Strapping themselves with bumbags, and either completely over-dressed or dressed like a farmer. They are only attracting attention to themselves so it's no wonder each of them seems to have a war-story from a previous visit to Dublin. People just need to act normal, and then a trip to town will be no different to a walk around Dundrum SC or a country village. Getting frightened by your own shadow just makes you an obvious target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Bloody hell, I must be in the minority here. I have never had anything or seen anything happen on O'Connell St and I am through there quite a lot. I have seen ropey looking people hanging around but I saw worse looking people growing up in Dun Laoghaire. I am not saying that nothing bad happens but they way some people talk about the city it is as if it is akin to New York in the 70's.

Someone a few pages back said he was nervous around College Green. I mean come on! College Green?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I'm just being cautious because i'll be going with family. Wouldn't have to ask if I was going on my own, The junkies and all that don't bother me.

Thousands of families go to Dublin city on a daily basis and leave again without anything happening them. If your family are going to be offended by the junkies maybe they should stay in their cotton wool wrapped world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I think the fear that most people have is from the media constantly pushing bad news stories down our throats. I would not gpo as far as to say it's a capitalist conspiracy as some would believe, but definitely shock and awe make for better stories than the opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

What will happen???

I can't tell the future;)
    This thread is nice and uplifting but the "nothing happened to me, it doesn't exist" attitude is a little silly.
    The OCS, talbot street area is quite dodgy. I have seen many assaults, drug deals and attempted muggings here. I've had some quite "aggressive beggars" harass me and almost get violent with me(i am a big enough guy, i wouldn't like to see what these guys would do to the elderly). Search for the last OCS thread if you need more proof.

I am really happy none of you have experienced this. Dublin is quite safe, but the poster asked what it is like around there and i told him to just be weary.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,955 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Have never been robbed on any Dublin street.
    Have been robbed in restaurants and pubs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

EyeSight wrote: »
    I can't tell the future;)
    This thread is nice and uplifting but the "nothing happened to me, it doesn't exist" attitude is a little silly.
    The OCS, talbot street area is quite dodgy. I have seen many assaults, drug deals and attempted muggings here. I've had some quite "aggressive beggars" harass me and almost get violent with me(i am a big enough guy, i wouldn't like to see what these guys would do to the elderly). Search for the last OCS thread if you need more proof.

I am really happy none of you have experienced this. Dublin is quite safe, but the poster asked what it is like around there and i told him to just be weary.

Cue Chopser having a nervous breakdown, going out and buying everyone stab proof vests because big bad Dublin is such a horrific and terrifying place.

Yes like any major cities Dublin has crime no denying it but you cant live in fear of it, very few tourists or people ever have first hand experience of it. Most junkies, drunks etc are harmless and if they do get a bit pushy a firm fcuk off is usually enough to make them go there way.

I feel safer walking around the city centre than I do some areas on my own local suburb and I live on the Southside well Westside. Southside dissowned us :pac:.

Advertisement