Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city at night how bad is it really?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

reprazant wrote: »
    Someone a few pages back said he was nervous around College Green. I mean come on! College Green?

The hoardes of Spanish students congregating outside Trinity are very threatening and those gangs of teenage girls queueing to get into A&F are a menace.

These sorts of posts are always a good laugh. The biggest risk around College Green is being knocked out by the stench from Lush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

I was mugged in Stephens Green by a junkie with a knife four years ago at 7 o'clock in the summer. He scared the sh*t out of me and made me weary about going into town for a long time but I still wouldn't call Dublin majorly unsafe and I'm a very paranoid worrier. Some of you are embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The hoardes of Spanish students congregating outside Trinity are very threatening and those gangs of teenage girls queueing to get into A&F are a menace.

These sorts of posts are always a good laugh. The biggest risk around College Green is being knocked out by the stench from Lush.

I thought you were serious for a minute and actually rolled my eyes...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i avoid anywhere northside, you can see the change almost instantly, or south side along the quays is grim too, it might sound a bit d4 or southsidery, but its true in my mind, the quays and northside city streets is full of absolute roughness. walked home from lighthouse cinema a few weeks ago to see no less than 8 junkies and a larger lady taking a no 2 in the corner of the street, and she then heckled me and my lady with her junkie friends.

grim

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

That cinema in Smithfield looks really nice but the spot puts me off and I being too paranoid?

The Lighthouse cinema is lovely. Smithfield is a grand spot. My missus lived there for a couple of years and she never had any bother. There are a few unsavory looking people sometimes but they keep themselves to themselves.

In general I think Dublin CC is safe. Just stick to well lit up areas and where the crowds are and it's grand. I feel safer in Dublin at night than I do in the midlands town that I'm from!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Scumbags are like dogs - they can see fear and actively prey on it. Hence, don't act nervous, just act normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

usually all those paranoic things spreading from southsiders.
    they are usually paranoic about "safe" and "dodgy" areas in town.
    northsiders dont' care at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

January wrote: »
    I thought you were serious for a minute and actually rolled my eyes...

I don't know I tend to avoid round there during the day Lush is not a fun place to walk by during opening hours.

i avoid anywhere northside, you can see the change almost instantly, or south side along the quays is grim too, it might sound a bit d4 or southsidery, but its true in my mind, the quays and northside city streets is full of absolute roughness. walked home from lighthouse cinema a few weeks ago to see no less than 8 junkies and a larger lady taking a no 2 in the corner of the street, and she then heckled me and my lady with her junkie friends.

grim

Ok, now I really have to use it :rolleyes: you can see any of that on the southside too if you look clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

I practically never feel unsafe in the CC, the Northside suburbs are a different story.

only northside suburbs??
    what about Tallaght? Jobstown? Walkinstown? Ballyfermont? Clondalkin?
    are they in northside as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Nice to see southside and northside stereotypes are alive and well from both sides.

Some people need to get out more.

I'm all for northside, southside banter but some the posts in here are borderline retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Anyone who has travelled much, even only within Europe, can tell you that Dublin is a very safe city. It is safer than all of South America, much safer to walk around than many of the major US cities and certainly safer than some of it's european counterparts. It is not without it's faults, but you are more likely to be robbed in Barcelona or Lisbon, more likely to be acosted by junkies in either of those cities and I can almost guarantee you that if you spend more than 6 months in most cities in S. America some will try to rob you.

I would say the people getting digs in at Dublin are from elsewhere and have an anti-Dublin grudge or are simpering fools terrified of their own reflection.

Sure, you have to take normal and sane precautions but you would be very unlucky to suffer a mugging in Dublin. I don't know anyone who was mugged in the 6 years I lived there, in the 5 years I spent in London I can definitely not say the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

Cue Chopser having a nervous breakdown, going out and buying everyone stab proof vests because big bad Dublin is such a horrific and terrifying place.

Yes like any major cities Dublin has crime no denying it but you cant live in fear of it, very few tourists or people ever have first hand experience of it. Most junkies, drunks etc are harmless and if they do get a bit pushy a firm fcuk off is usually enough to make them go there way.

I feel safer walking around the city centre than I do some areas on my own local suburb and I live on the Southside well Westside. Southside dissowned us :pac:.

Have you completely mis read my posts or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

chopser wrote: »
    Have you completely mis read my posts or what?

Sorry :o got usernames mixed up I meant sweeptheleg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

grim

I'm assuming you keep a wide berth of Sallynoggin, Cabinteely, Shankill and Monkstown Farm? Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Zuko123

Some guy's throat was cut outside the GPO last night

Zuko123 wrote: »
    Some guy's throat was cut outside the GPO last night

You got a news source for that?

Dublin city centre is not safe, but it's not dangerous. Keep your wits about you, and don't do anything stupid. You might be the unlucky one that night who gets mugged, but that's just about how bad it's gonna get. I'm a small girl and I've lived in Dublin 14 years, been around even the dreaded and dastardly O'Connell Street at night, and never been hurt. Got mugged once but my own really stupid very drunken fault.

As for north of the Liffey... go to Artane; then travel south to Rialto. Then report.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 lukepaddy2

City Center is fine, its laneways and walking up to places like drumcondra or phibsboro is where you need to watch yourself in the night. Its the outskirts of the city that is dangerous because scumbags know the whole city center is under surveillance.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

EyeSight wrote: »
    I can't tell the future;)
    This thread is nice and uplifting but the "nothing happened to me, it doesn't exist" attitude is a little silly.
    The OCS, talbot street area is quite dodgy. I have seen many assaults, drug deals and attempted muggings here. I've had some quite "aggressive beggars" harass me and almost get violent with me(i am a big enough guy, i wouldn't like to see what these guys would do to the elderly). Search for the last OCS thread if you need more proof.

I am really happy none of you have experienced this. Dublin is quite safe, but the poster asked what it is like around there and i told him to just be weary.

Exactly Dublin in general is a very nice city and all the other main urban areas in Ireland have their scumbag element as well but as far as im concerned the area around O'Connell Street/Talbot and Abbey Streets is dodgy at all hours of the day.It's a disgrace the way the thugs and drug addicts have free reign around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

I am pie wrote: »
    Anyone who has travelled much, even only within Europe, can tell you that Dublin is a very safe city. It is safer than all of South America, much safer to walk around than many of the major US cities and certainly safer than some of it's european counterparts. It is not without it's faults, but you are more likely to be robbed in Barcelona or Lisbon, more likely to be acosted by junkies in either of those cities and I can almost guarantee you that if you spend more than 6 months in most cities in S. America some will try to rob you.

I would say the people getting digs in at Dublin are from elsewhere and have an anti-Dublin grudge or are simpering fools terrified of their own reflection.

Sure, you have to take normal and sane precautions but you would be very unlucky to suffer a mugging in Dublin. I don't know anyone who was mugged in the 6 years I lived there, in the 5 years I spent in London I can definitely not say the same.

That bit in bold is a loud of rubbish trying to portray people who don't agree with you as having an anti Dublin agenda or simpering fools as you so eloquently put it is a load of patronising and condescending rubbish.That's a great way to turn the argument in your favour by branding the people that don't agree with you as wimps and cowards and anti Dublin begrudgers.:D

lukepaddy2 wrote: »
    City Center is fine, its laneways and walking up to places like drumcondra or phibsboro is where you need to watch yourself in the night. Its the outskirts of the city that is dangerous because scumbags know the whole city center is under surveillance.

I've always felt as safe walking through Drumcondra and Phibsboro as I have done walking up Talbot St. Walk with confidence and purpose and you will be fine. Walk like you're scared ****less and you might have a problem with a scumbag who was going to pick on someone who looked vulnerable, walk with your expensive phone out/earphones in and you're a big target.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

miamee wrote: »
    If you don't look for trouble where there is none, you and your family will be absolutely fine.

I don't know where you got the impression that the city is "always full of scumbags who are out looking to start trouble" but take it from a woman who lives and works in the city centre and walks everywhere alone day and night, it is completely untrue. The only thing you will need to 'handle' is your shopping.

I agree. You may feel uncomfortable with the odd beggar staggering about, but the tourist areas are very busy and are policed. There aren't people hanging around looking to start trouble, they are beggars and for the most part will go away if you tell them to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

chopser wrote: »
    I don't understand this thread or the people at all. I mean do a lot of people spend their life in perpetual fear? I've seen simialr ones of people scared to go into temple bar after 6 pm. (It's loud and their are drunk people but it's definitely not dangerous).

I'm not originally from Dublin and since moving here I have never felt worried walking around Dublin at any time of day and I live off Parnell Street which seems for whatever reason to scare people.

Granted there are lots of drunkards who may be rowdy but they are highly unlikely to start a fight with you, the same as the addicts and street drinkers. they look scary but never really cause much harm.

Granted I know there are phone thefts and what not in city centre, but again how do so many people live in fear their whole life?

Very true, We have a large amount of people here in Ireland who fear almost everything outside what they know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

There's just about nowhere in Dublin I wouldn't walk by myself at night, and I'm a short, muggable-looking person with my bag frequently flapping open. There's bits of the city that are not my favourite, Talbot Street & Marlborough Street to be exact, but in over 14 years of being in Dublin after 6pm the worst thing that's happened to me around there is ordering the Goats Cheese & Spinach parcel in 101 Talbot and having them forget to mention there were mushrooms in it. You're missing out on an awful lot of the best the city has to offer, food & entertainment wise, if you jump ship as soon as it starts getting dark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 lukepaddy2

January wrote: »
    I've always felt as safe walking through Drumcondra and Phibsboro as I have done walking up Talbot St. Walk with confidence and purpose and you will be fine. Walk like you're scared ****less and you might have a problem with a scumbag who was going to pick on someone who looked vulnerable, walk with your expensive phone out/earphones in and you're a big target.

At night I mean 3AM after a nightclub or something, not 11PM or around that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

There's just about nowhere in Dublin I wouldn't walk by myself at night, and I'm a short, muggable-looking person with my bag frequently flapping open. There's bits of the city that are not my favourite, Talbot Street & Marlborough Street to be exact, but in over 14 years of being in Dublin after 6pm the worst thing that's happened to me around there is ordering the Goats Cheese & Spinach parcel in 101 Talbot and having them forget to mention there were mushrooms in it. You're missing out on an awful lot of the best the city has to offer, food & entertainment wise, if you jump ship as soon as it starts getting dark.

THE HORROR!!

When+You+Walk+In+On+Your+Parents.+Oh...+the+horror_3b66b4_3524504.gif

IMG fail.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    I'm assuming you keep a wide berth of Sallynoggin, Cabinteely, Shankill and Monkstown Farm? Get over yourself.

yes to all but cabinteely, theres not that bad in fairness, but the others i would tend to avoid unless needed, not very nice places

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

You avoid Sallynoggin, Shankill and the Farm?

Good god, you must have had the most sheltered life ever growing up.

I honestly thought that the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books were an exaggeration. I did not know that people like that actually existed.

Advertisement