Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city at night how bad is it really?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

lukepaddy2 wrote: »
    At night I mean 3AM after a nightclub or something, not 11PM or around that time.

That's what I meant too... I've walked to town after a night out in Quinn's, through Drumcondra... not scary at all. I've also walked down the Whitworth Road at that time of night... not scary either. Shock horror I've even walked the lone streets of Finglas and Blanchardstown in the middle of the night! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

reprazant wrote: »
    You avoid Sallynoggin, Shankill and the Farm?

Good god, you must have had the most sheltered life ever growing up.

I honestly thought that the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books were an exaggeration. I did not know that people like that actually existed.

Play the ball, not the player.

OP said those places are not nice. I'd tend to agree unless you can list a few things nice about sallynoggin that would make people want to visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    I'm assuming you keep a wide berth of Sallynoggin, Cabinteely, Shankill and Monkstown Farm? Get over yourself.
    yes to all but cabinteely, theres not that bad in fairness, but the others i would tend to avoid unless needed, not very nice places

I've lived in Rialto for 10 years and never had any problems. The one place I've had abuse shouted through the letterbox was in Cabinteely, but I've walked to Dublin 8 from the city centre, pissed, at kicking-out time and been completely unmolested.

Like any city you don't walk around Dublin waving your phone or your cash. The city is not covered in rabid junkies just waiting to mug you. There is no need to fear for yourself or your relatives.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

reprazant wrote: »
    You avoid Sallynoggin, Shankill and the Farm?

Good god, you must have had the most sheltered life ever growing up.

I honestly thought that the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books were an exaggeration. I did not know that people like that actually existed.

I wouldn't say sheltered, I was merely stating I wouldnt feel comfortable walking around those areas late at night as I used to live near these locations and on occassion needed to be in those areas late at night I felt it is quite rough in general, thats not to say there are some nice parts but as a whole those villages are kips in the scheme of things when it comes to nice safe places. Thats doesn't mean I'm a Ross O'Carrol Kelly, it means I don't like those places, maybe i have a different opinion of what isn't safe, I would consider gangs of undesirable scaldy looking characters and drunks and junkies roaming the streets at all hours unsafe, and I have found those places to be dotted with these sorts in my experience, and tbh the guts of the city center northside, even round the IFSC

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I wouldn't say sheltered, I was merely stating I wouldnt feel comfortable walking around those areas late at night as I used to live near these locations and on occassion needed to be in those areas late at night I felt it is quite rough in general, thats not to say there are some nice parts but as a whole those villages are kips in the scheme of things when it comes to nice safe places. Thats doesn't mean I'm a Ross O'Carrol Kelly, it means I don't like those places, maybe i have a different opinion of what isn't safe, I would consider gangs of undesirable scaldy looking characters and drunks and junkies roaming the streets at all hours unsafe, and I have found those places to be dotted with these sorts in my experience, and tbh the guts of the city center northside, even round the IFSC

Not liking the look of a place or the people in it is not the same as them being 'unsafe' in my experience/in my opinion.

Back to the original post, there are parts of Dublin city that look rough. There are some junkies, there are lots of people begging (some genuine, some not), there are people who will tell you their spiel of how they can't get home unless you give them €10 for the bus, there are teenagers out for the day on their summer holidays who might get a bit loud and rowdy.

About 99% of these are not looking to hurt, mug, rob or injure people in any way. They just don't look like people you might want to spend time with. So don't, just keep walking and go about your business. That's all there is to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

miamee wrote: »
    Not liking the look of a place or the people in it is not the same as them being 'unsafe' in my experience/in my opinion.

??

ok well just to clarify I think they are UNSAFE late at night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

??

So were you mugged or attacked in any of those places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

yes to all but cabinteely, theres not that bad in fairness, but the others i would tend to avoid unless needed, not very nice places

So not only are you afraid of the whole of the northside but you are also afraid of large parts of the southside. Seriously paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

??

People like you annoy me. I would bet your they type of person who judges someone on there address and not the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Shankill bad? Really? Shankill :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

People like you annoy me. I would bet your they type of person who judges someone on there address and not the person.

People are entitled to their opinion and feelings.Play the ball and not the man please.

Lux23 wrote: »
    So were you mugged or attacked in any of those places?

no but thats not a very good gauge now is it

i never judged any people at all, i'm judging the area, you can live in a kip and be a stand up gent, just you are likely a minority in your area

I propose this thread be locked until someone can define bad.

How about a thread about crime/litter/parks/shops/amenities, you know, actual things that can be measured.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I propose this thread be locked until someone can define bad.

How about a thread about crime/litter/parks/shops/amenities, you know, actual things that can be measured.

Bad is something, which depends on everyone's view, most likely as a result of previous experiences. But there is a common ground, imo...causing harm and being a threat to someone's well being

• Registered Users Posts: 4 OasisManUtd

It's like all big City's at night,I've never had any trouble,don't be a prisoner in your own city,there isn't people waiting at every corner to attack you LOL

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Bad is something, which depends on everyone's view, most likely as a result of previous experiences. But there is a common ground, imo...causing harm and being a threat to someone's well being

and there's the rub. "In your opinion"
    Whats the point in a thread where people are chastising others on their opinions that are neither right or wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 OasisManUtd

Amen mate,if they're that scared of the big bad city best stay away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Op

I will tell you what i told my own teenage kids. Dublin is a city, like ANY city in the world if you want trouble you won't have to look far to find it. Keep your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings and of what's going on around you. If you get lost just keep walking and look like you know where you are going. Hope some of that makes sense to you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

and there's the rub. "In your opinion"
    Whats the point in a thread where people are chastising others on their opinions that are neither right or wrong?

The 'imo' part was meant to be about the 'common ground', because there should be something, which annoys each and everyone, who posts in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Shankill bad? Really? Shankill :confused::confused::confused:

It has both Shank and kill in, is it not obvious! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

My boyfriend (who is Welsh and was here with some friends for the weekend) saw a student get mugged at knife-point at an ATM on O'Connell St at 3pm just a few weeks ago.

I was horrified to hear this as I'm trying to get him to move over here! Also during his one trip on the red Luas line, there were three middle-aged junkie women exchanging drugs and haggling over the price.

I get the red line six times a week from Museum out to Tallaght for work, and do see a fair amount of junkies on it - maybe 2-3 per week.

I've only been in Dublin six months but have already had someone try to pickpocket my phone from my pocket on Westmoreland St.

There are also so many junkies on every street corner. I've lived in three other cities and never seen as many as I see here.

I love Dublin to pieces, but I definitely don't feel safe in the city, day or night.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

My boyfriend (who is Welsh and was here with some friends for the weekend) saw a student get mugged at knife-point at an ATM on O'Connell St at 3pm just a few weeks ago.

I was horrified to hear this as I'm trying to get him to move over here! Also during his one trip on the red Luas line, there were three middle-aged junkie women exchanging drugs and haggling over the price.

I get the red line six times a week from Museum out to Tallaght for work, and do see a fair amount of junkies on it - maybe 2-3 per week.

I've only been in Dublin six months but have already had someone try to pickpocket my phone from my pocket on Westmoreland St.

There are also so many junkies on every street corner. I've lived in three other cities and never seen as many as I see here.

I love Dublin to pieces, but I definitely don't feel safe in the city, day or night.

I suppose there will be a bombardment of posts accusing this poster of being a wimp and having an anti Dublin agenda!

I suppose there will be a bombardment of posts accusing this poster of being a wimp and having an anti Dublin agenda!

I live and work in Dublin and i would agree with everything she says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

don't forget the "i was never mugged so that means it never happens. Even if it did, i am so hard that if i stared right into the thiefs eyes, they'd run away"

bumper234 wrote: »
    I live and work in Dublin and i would agree with everything she says.

I'd like to add i find Dublin to be a very nice city and the vast majority of Dubs are a very sound bunch.That area around O'Connell Street isn't very nice though and there's nothing wrong with saying that.The evidence is there in front of our very eyes.

I'd like to add i find Dublin to be a very nice city and the vast majority of Dubs are a very sound bunch.That area around O'Connell Street isn't very nice though and there's nothing wrong with saying that.The evidence is there in front of our very eyes.

Am not saying it isn't in fact would recommend tourists stay well away from that area.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Am not saying it isn't in fact would recommend tourists stay well away from that area.

I know you weren't i was just making it clear that i have no issues with Dublin before the he has an anti Dublin agenda crew pipe up!The main street in the countrys main city should be a place where people can feel comfortable and at ease during the day but that sadly isn't the case.Hopefully things might improve when the boardwalk reopens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd never set foot around the OCS area with no less than a flak jacket and 4 hired goons to protect me.

Frankly I'd feel safer in Moghadishu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

There is an important distinction to be made between local perceptions and tourist perceptions.

I visitied Copenhagen when I was interrailing, and we left the same day, such was the awful state of every aspect of the city we came into contact with. Problem with an ATM on O'Connell St. is that it most likely EU migrants roaming, or else Irish scumbags (an unfortunate reality of O'C St.), neither groups hold any allegiance to anyone except their own so would not have risked their own safety to intervene.

You'd be surprised how appearances can be deceptive with a person who looks undesirable.

Advertisement