Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city at night how bad is it really?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

cson wrote: »
    I'd never set foot around the OCS area with no less than a flak jacket and 4 hired goons to protect me.

Frankly I'd feel safer in Moghadishu.

Out of curiosity how many times have you been to mogadishu, or do you live there?...As to why would you make an assumption about mogadishu?

Mods i'm not derailing thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Two lads tried to steal a bike that was locked on College Green near that tendy clothes shop at about 8.30pm this evening.Very brazen about it too,hacking away at the lock with bolt cutters until a group of us waiting at the 40 bus stop shouted at them and they ran off.

Probably came back for it once the bus stop cleared though.First bit of trouble I've seen in months in the City Centre.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

cson wrote: »
    I'd never set foot around the OCS area with no less than a flak jacket and 4 hired goons to protect me.

Frankly I'd feel safer in Moghadishu.

I would too now that I know about you and your goons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I just saw an extremely drunk guy having a poo outside a restaurant. I think he was caught short though, given the consistency of his stool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

i never judged any people at all, i'm judging the area, you can live in a kip and be a stand up gent, just you are likely a minority in your area

A minority you do realise the vast majority of these areas that are referred to as kips are full of stand up people it's the minority in the areas that drag the name down.

Take Clondalkin were I live which according to the 2011 census has a population of just under 50,000 do you really think it's only the minority of people in an area of that size that are stand up?

I'm not sure whether you're a snob or just plain ignorant and have lived a sheltered life. I'm angling toward a sheltered life.

On Dublin City I feel safer in Dublin City than I have in any other major European City I have visited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My boyfriend (who is Welsh and was here with some friends for the weekend) saw a student get mugged at knife-point at an ATM on O'Connell St at 3pm just a few weeks ago.

I was horrified to hear this as I'm trying to get him to move over here! Also during his one trip on the red Luas line, there were three middle-aged junkie women exchanging drugs and haggling over the price.
    Obviously I don't know exactly where your bf is from, but I would put money on the same thing happening in Cardiff, Prague, Glasgow, London,, New York, Newcastle, or Paris on any day of the week. Dublin is no more dangerous or unsafe than any other city in any other country in the world. There is nowhere you can go that you will be guaranteed not to see someone mugged, or to be mugged yourself. It is not a reason change plans to move here, Dublin is hardly Baghdad.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

I think a big part of Dublin's problem is a sheer lack of policing. We just don't have anywhere near the number of guards in the city centre that we need to deal with a lot of the drug dealing etc. that goes on just of O'Connell street and on the quays. We need a massive boost in Garda numbers and we just aren't going to get it any time soon.

I think a big part of Dublin's problem is a sheer lack of policing. We just don't have anywhere near the number of guards in the city centre that we need to deal with a lot of the drug dealing etc. that goes on just of O'Connell street and on the quays. We need a massive boost in Garda numbers and we just aren't going to get it any time soon.

I agree. Or a security force like that is sometimes used on the Luas, when those lads are around the panhandlers disappear. It's actually hilarious watching them melt away when they appear. Businesses in Dublin City could get together and pay for it.

The more I think about it, it could even be a volunteer service. I'm sure lots of people would be happy to give a couple of hours a week to start tackling these problems.

But you aren't tackling these problems,you would just be pushing them somewhere else temporarily.Exactly what the Gardai have been doing for years.

Tackling these problems involves a lot more than policing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Lux23 wrote: »
    I agree. Or a security force like that is sometimes used on the Luas, when those lads are around the panhandlers disappear. It's actually hilarious watching them melt away when they appear. Businesses in Dublin City could get together and pay for it.

The more I think about it, it could even be a volunteer service. I'm sure lots of people would be happy to give a couple of hours a week to start tackling these problems.

As much as i understand where you are coming from i think that's a terrible idea. Who would run this service? What sort of licencing would the volunteers have? What happens when your volunteers start turning up carrying weapons? What happens when your volunteer asks a junkie or group of teenagers who are acting in an antisocial manner to move along and they tell him/her to fcuk off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

bumper234 wrote: »
    As much as i understand where you are coming from i think that's a terrible idea. Who would run this service? What sort of licencing would the volunteers have? What happens when your volunteers start turning up carrying weapons? What happens when your volunteer asks a junkie or group of teenagers who are acting in an antisocial manner to move along and they tell him/her to fcuk off?

Sorry, if that's a bit off topic now...but the idea of volunteers sounds a bit like Police Academy, the part with 'Citizens on Patrole' ...or however it's called in English, only saw it in German ;)

If people want to become have a go heroes they can just join the Garda reserve anyway.

People already have the power to make citizens arrests no need to be in a group/gang/club to do it.

People already have the power to make citizens arrests no need to be in a group/gang/club to do it.

But how many are actually using this?

Lars1916 wrote: »
    But how many are actually using this?

Very few obviously. Most people will stand and watch afraid to get involved.

Very few obviously. Most people will stand and watch afraid to get involved.

Being afraid to get involved, does not mean, that you are not able to call the cops, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

You have to be very certain of what you are doing if you make a citizens arrest... has to be a crime with a certain length of sentence ob conviction , you must be sure the individual will try flee if Gardai arrive , one or two otherthings to very aware of too.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Being afraid to get involved, does not mean, that you are not able to call the cops, does it?

Of course not. You call the cops what if they try to get away before cops get there? But lets say cops arrive and make arrest will you be willing to go to court and give evidence as an eye witness? I have no problem doing any of this and in fact have been to court several times to help secure convictions. I am saying most people will not get involved due to fear.

mattjack wrote: »
    You have to be very certain of what you are doing if you make a citizens arrest... has to be a crime with a certain length of sentence ob conviction , you must be sure the individual will try flee if Gardai arrive , one or two otherthings to very aware of too.

Oh i know and then you still run the risk of getting charged yourself if said criminal decides that you used excessive force.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Oh i know and then you still run the risk of getting charged yourself if said criminal decides that you used excessive force.

It wouldnt even be down to excessive force , if you stopped someone from moving away without being aware of exactly what they had done , the sentence for their crime , you may just be making problems for yourself.

• Advertisement

...and the criminal in question having loads of witnesses (ie. his mates), who claim, they were just sitting around somewhere, being treated with brutal force by yourself? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

kylith wrote: »
    Obviously I don't know exactly where your bf is from, but I would put money on the same thing happening in Cardiff, Prague, Glasgow, London,, New York, Newcastle, or Paris on any day of the week. Dublin is no more dangerous or unsafe than any other city in any other country in the world. There is nowhere you can go that you will be guaranteed not to see someone mugged, or to be mugged yourself. It is not a reason change plans to move here, Dublin is hardly Baghdad.

i absolutely understand your point and don't doubt that it happens elsewhere, but like i said, of the three other cities I've lived in (two of which were on your list actually), I've not seen or experienced half as much stuff during the years I've spent there as I've already experienced in just six months in Dublin.

Im sensible and Im always alert - i don't walk around with my phone in my hand or my bag unzipped or flung round my back. Im not often in the city at night and when i am, i stick to the busy areas. i don't live in an area renowned for drug problems etc. i only speak as i find and from experience, and as much as i love Dublin and have no plans to leave it, id be lying if i didn't say that its definitely the most risky city I've lived in when it comes to my own experiences of crime.

sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

My Mogadishu remark was firmly tongue in cheek. Consistently ranked amongst the most dangerous places in the world is the Somalian Capital. Dublin is not. Dublin is grand. Grubby, gritty around OCS/Talbot St but nothing threatening imo. I say this having been the victim of a very random attack crossing OCS bridge one night before Xmas 2011. It's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

kylith wrote: »

So we'll leave things as they are then because bad bad things happen in other places as well!That's fine i thought there was a problem with drug addicts and thugs on O'Connell Street which is Dublins main street but sure i guess it's grand so!I don't think the main street in other major cities is taken over by thugs and lowlifes morning noon and night.Like it or lump it the area around O'Connell Street is a horrible part of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

So we'll leave things as they are then because bad bad things happen in other places as well!That's fine i thought there was a problem with drug addicts and thugs on O'Connell Street which is Dublins main street but sure i guess it's grand so!I don't think the main street in other major cities is taken over by thugs and lowlifes morning noon and night.Like it or lump it the area around O'Connell Street is a horrible part of Dublin.

At what point did they suggest just leave things the way they are? Dublin is a safe city by most standards, it's got a problem with junkies but that's about it. I've lived here for 20 years and never encountered any problems. The problem with O'Connell street isn't something that can be simply addressed. If they're moved on they're just moved onto another area which doesn't fix the problem. There's little point in arresting them as the we don't have sufficient prison space / Garda numbers to arrest them. Decriminalise heroin use, pump the money that is being spent on policing these people into rehab and get them off the streets. Worked extremely well for Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

Going anywhere near O'Devaney gardens is like signing your own death cert. Its an absolutely shocking place.

That's a bit snobby isn't it?

That's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Kiltennel wrote: »
    At what point did they suggest just leave things the way they are? Dublin is a safe city by most standards, it's got a problem with junkies but that's about it. I've lived here for 20 years and never encountered any problems. The problem with O'Connell street isn't something that can be simply addressed. If they're moved on they're just moved onto another area which doesn't fix the problem. There's little point in arresting them as the we don't have sufficient prison space / Garda numbers to arrest them. Decriminalise heroin use, pump the money that is being spent on policing these people into rehab and get them off the streets. Worked extremely well for Portugal.

legalize heroin? We can barely handle our drink...
    NYC had an awful crime/heroin problem. They introduced zero tolerance and it worked remarkably well. They still have their problems in areas, but crime has gone down especially on the main streets.
    Obviously we need to fund the guards a bit better and organise them better. We also need a better justice system that doesn't just give the constant criminals a warning and send them off
    I also think the heads of the gardai should be voted in. If the top guys had to stand up and make a case to the public, why they should keep their job, you can bet your ass they would put more effort into reducing the numbers. This would not be ideal, but it would be better than what we have now

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Kiltennel wrote: »

Just a problem with junkies right and these loveable rogues are allowed to have free reign on the main street of Irelands capital city!

• Advertisement

We don't have the resources to arrest and lock addicts up and that wouldn't solve anything even if we did.

Until adequate support services exist (psychiatric,homeless,probation and rehab/detox) then this problem will continue and worsen,simple as.

Advertisement