Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city at night how bad is it really?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

We don't have the resources to arrest and lock addicts up and that wouldn't solve anything even if we did.

Until adequate support services exist (psychiatric,homeless,probation and rehab/detox) then this problem will continue and worsen,simple as.

I don't care if they're addicts or not. If a person robs or assaults somebody, they deserve jail. Not a warning. And not special treatment because they're addicts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

We don't have the resources to arrest and lock addicts up and that wouldn't solve anything even if we did.

Until adequate support services exist (psychiatric,homeless,probation and rehab/detox) then this problem will continue and worsen,simple as.

We don't have the resources to arrest and lock up people who don't pay their TV licences either....Oh wait:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

EyeSight wrote: »
    I don't care if they're addicts or not. If a person robs or assaults somebody, they deserve jail. Not a warning. And not special treatment because they're addicts

And when they get out of jail they'll resume doing the exact same thing and the cycle continues.Solves absolutely nothing.

And when they get out of jail they'll resume doing the exact same thing and the cycle continues.Solves absolutely nothing.

Well no doubt they will detox in jail. Treatment programs could go on in there.
    They should get some punishment, not a kiss on the cheek.

Think of what happens now. NOTHING! what does that solve? nothing. It allows them to continue doing what they do without keeping them off the streets for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dublin is safe if you are street wise and know the good and bad bits.

The worst thing about Dublin for me is the incessant begging while having a drink or coffee outside. It is just non feckin stop and drives me nuts!

Otherwise it is a great city, but the screaming roaring druggies can get on yer nerves too sometimes. I ignore them. Can't ignore the beggars can I, when their paper cups are in my face though. Oh and the chuggers too annoy me.

Have I left out anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Kiltennel wrote: »
    At what point did they suggest just leave things the way they are? Dublin is a safe city by most standards, it's got a problem with junkies but that's about it. I've lived here for 20 years and never encountered any problems. The problem with O'Connell street isn't something that can be simply addressed. If they're moved on they're just moved onto another area which doesn't fix the problem. There's little point in arresting them as the we don't have sufficient prison space / Garda numbers to arrest them. Decriminalise heroin use, pump the money that is being spent on policing these people into rehab and get them off the streets. Worked extremely well for Portugal.

The problem is its O'Connell street, I don't like the fact that somewhere central like Marlborough street is rough but the fact that the street (O'Connell) thats the axis of the city has such visible anti-social behaviour is just ridiculous. I know there isn't enough prison places and there's reduced Garda resources but even a handful of plainclothes cops focused on key streets actually busting people for drug use and dealing would help shift the problem away, I know it wouldn't solve the issue but I'd actually be happy if it was even just less constantly visible in the North inner city.

Yes the clinics in the city center mean there's a concentration of addicts but it doesn't really make sense to me that the city center should be such an easy place for dealing to take place.

The Portuguese experiment is interesting but it definitely shouldn't be taken as a cure all (think tanks reports will tend to have biases) , I'd be curious about how big the difference was between investment in rehab between Portugal and Ireland in 2002 as I think Portugal was starting from a low base.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

The problem is its O'Connell street, I don't like the fact that somewhere central like Marlborough street is rough but the fact that the street (O'Connell) thats the axis of the city has such visible anti-social behaviour is just ridiculous. I know there isn't enough prison places and there's reduced Garda resources but even a handful of plainclothes cops focused on key streets actually busting people for drug use and dealing would help shift the problem away, I know it wouldn't solve the issue but I'd actually be happy if it was even just less constantly visible in the North inner city.

Yes the clinics in the city center mean there's a concentration of addicts but it doesn't really make sense to me that the city center should be such an easy place for dealing to take place.

The Portuguese experiment is interesting but it definitely shouldn't be taken as a cure all (think tanks reports will tend to have biases) , I'd be curious about how big the difference was between investment in rehab between Portugal and Ireland in 2002 as I think Portugal was starting from a low base.

That's a good comment about Portugal , as far as I know they were in a worse state than we are.They rolled out specific programmes , harm reduction and different opiate replacement medication .

I work in a drug service , specifically with homeless in addiction or at risk I wonder do realise what's involved in getting an addict clean from heroin .It can take years and some people its never going to happen.
    With some stabilising them on methadone and having them live in homeless hostels is as good as it gets.Its an illusion that "rehab" is the answer to all problems.

Regarding the clinics being in the city ,there's a huge amount other services in the city centre including stabilisation day programmes , drug free , mental health services , specific medical care and a host of others services.So do we move them all out of the city ?

Treatment for an addict starts with him going to get assessed to get onto a methadone clinic , then he stabilised ,assessment for detox and stabilisation group , looks to reduce his methadone down to 30 or so mls (which could take years) , pre entry group ,bed in treatment three months waiting list , after care and possible housing support for up to two years.... and this is assuming there's no relapse , prison , medical issues .About 10% to 15 % of addicts fully recover and to get to this stage of recovery they often cycle in and out of addiction for years.

Our state here loves methadone ... 2000 euro a year or prison for 60,000 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't think it's just the heroin that is the problem. Most dealing I see is with prescription drugs, probably to top up their methadone prescription. Surely if you drink, take heroin and multiple other drugs, giving up one drug is only one part of the battle.

But that's another story, how do you stop people like that from begging?

Lux23 wrote: »
    I don't think it's just the heroin that is the problem. Most dealing I see is with prescription drugs, probably to top up their methadone prescription. Surely if you drink, take heroin and multiple other drugs, giving up one drug is only one part of the battle.

But that's another story, how do you stop people like that from begging?

Absolutely , some tablets are internet import , others are made here illegally but a large amount are legitimate prescription from a GP being sold on the street which kinda asks do the people being prescribed them by GPs really need them at all if they sell them.

• Advertisement

mattjack wrote: »
    Our state here loves methadone ... 2000 euro a year or prison for 60,000 a year.
    But your point means there is no punishment, no deterrent for addicts who commit crime. it shouldn't be treatment Vs prison. Maybe it should be a bit of both. A push for more treatment in prison.

At the moment there are no consequences.
    If i need to feed my habit and i know i can try and mug someone with 2 outcomes: 1) i get their money and more drugs or 2) I get foiled and try again tomorrow. There is nothing to stop me.
    Constantly in the newspaper i read about people(not just junkies i must stress) who have tonnes of previous convictions getting warnings and suspended sentences. Not even community service!
    i get your point about methadone being cheaper, but there needs to be some deterrent for crimes no matter the cost

EyeSight wrote: »
    But your point means there is no punishment, no deterrent for addicts who commit crime. it shouldn't be treatment Vs prison. Maybe it should be a bit of both. A push for more treatment in prison.

At the moment there are no consequences.
    If i need to feed my habit and i know i can try and mug someone with 2 outcomes: 1) i get their money and more drugs or 2) I get foiled and try again tomorrow. There is nothing to stop me.
    Constantly in the newspaper i read about people(not just junkies i must stress) who have tonnes of previous convictions getting warnings and suspended sentences. Not even community service!
    i get your point about methadone being cheaper, but there needs to be some deterrent for crimes no matter the cost

You might be misunderstanding me or maybe Im wording it arseways I dont agree with our methadone process at all.We,re happy to stick people on it without any plan to detox off it.Im.not for one minute suggesting treatment at all to avoid any legal process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

maniac2000 wrote: »
    Bit of an exaggeration there Carl! Parts of the Northside suburbs are dodgy and I don't need to name the places but plenty of the same across the liffey!

Sure just stay over in NYC and you won't have to worry!
    • For those of you talking about the Southside: I don't live in on the Southside so an unqualified to comment.
    • I didn't say all Northside suburbs. I said they're a different story - ie: I wouldn't apply my comment regarding the City Centre to the Northside suburbs.
    • Stop creeping through my previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

. The biggest risk around College Green is being knocked out by the stench from Lush.

True story

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Just a problem with junkies right and these loveable rogues are allowed to have free reign on the main street of Irelands capital city!

Did you actually read the post you're commenting on? The poster was not saying junkies should have free reign on the streets.

Rather that they should be encouraged off the streets and into rehab
    We currently have very few rehab facilities and insufficient Garda resource.
    Also, athough it can be intimidating / unpleasant a lot of the time the junkies who are hanging around are not actually breaking any law at the time so you it's difficult to tackle.

I think pretty much everyone on here acknowledges the junkie problem that exists. Bemoaning it on the internet is unlikely to change anything whereas the poster you're replying to actually suggested a course of action

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Maybe if we put doilys on them they would look more appealing.

Advertisement