Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stealing broadband??

• 03-08-2013 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

whilst having a chat w
    ith the neighbors today they were complaining about a particular resident who is using the internet from other people's broadband.I didn't know you could do that. I just wanted to know is there a way of ensuring your broadband or wifi is l
    not being taken advantage of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I'm probably leaving out lots of good things, but here's a start:

Critical:
    - Make sure your wireless security users WPA2. Not Open or WEP. WPA can be decent but WPA2 is better.
    - Pick a WPA key that's lengthy and hard to guess. A random sequence of letters (mixed case), numbers and symbols would be good.
    - Make sure the administration username and password are also difficult to guess.
    - Don't tell anybody the connection details.

The following additional measures can be overcome easily by knowledgeable/determined people, but there's nothing to lose in using them except the administration hassle. If you cover the points above, you should be pretty safe though.

- Configure your router so as not to broadcast your SSID.
    - White list your devices' MAC addresses in the router. No other devices allowed to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

thank you for your help,and quick reply!

Advertisement