Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scrap/junk yards in cork

Options
  • 03-08-2013 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Is there any places in cork that sell "junk" other than car parts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Have you anything particular in mind?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

nothing in particular, but always looking for odd bits to turn into homemade projects......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Car boot sales maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Not really, the days of an open access dump or scrap yard are well and truly over. H&S and all that crap.

'Dumpster diving' may be an option, though you would want to be Johnny-on-the-spot.

Otherwise a more expensive option would be architectural reclamation.

Car boots in this country usually have complete crap at them, for a higher grade of crap try some of the vintage bring and buys at the start and end of the year, aimed at vintage car and tractor guys selling off surplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Commercial junk yards are just not there anymore, but I am sure there are several people (Hoarders?) out there who have lots of interesting stuff in their back yards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

mm there was some alrite, Pants what do you call them salvation yards? is it. I put a post up ages ago about trying to find one ill see if i can find it..

The recycling centre in Rochestown also has great bits and bobs and you can take them away. Great for mirrors and for some reason large old style bottles. Also me thinks the eco village on Monaghan road now i haven't been there but there is a swop centre there i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Milly33 wrote: »
    mm there was some alrite, Pants what do you call them salvation yards? is it. I put a post up ages ago about trying to find one ill see if i can find it..

The recycling centre in Rochestown also has great bits and bobs and you can take them away. Great for mirrors and for some reason large old style bottles. Also me thinks the eco village on Monaghan road now i haven't been there but there is a swop centre there i think

Interesting. My local recycling centre had a portacabin on site where people could leave and pick up unwanted items, then they restricted opening times and finally did away with it.
    They had a cage for electrical items (which you're not supposed to take in case you fry yourself) spotted a nice electric clock that I, ahem, purlioned while no-one was looking, removed the burnt-out workings and put a quartz unit from Maplins into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

really you think that they would want people to take away reusable items sure would it not be at your own risk. I think that is what the eco village place on monaghan road are trying to do, i must pop down for a visit one day.. The rochestown one used to be great didn't even have to pay for recycling which is a no brainer but now they charge you for it madness tis.well done on the clock too tis always nice to recyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭SK76

There is a metal scrap yard at end of forge hill

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Milly33 wrote: »
    really you think that they would want people to take away reusable items sure would it not be at your own risk. I think that is what the eco village place on monaghan road are trying to do, i must pop down for a visit one day.. The rochestown one used to be great didn't even have to pay for recycling which is a no brainer but now they charge you for it madness tis.well done on the clock too tis always
    nice to recyle
    Insurance ??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
Advertisement