Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo Recovery?

Options
  • 03-08-2013 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

A quick check of 3 "indicator species" in the USA, .22LR, 9mm Luger, and .223 revealed 30, 100 and 80 sources respectively with the ammo for sale on the internet.

The 9mm ranged from mid .20's for steel case, to .30's and .40s for brass. The .22LR was mainly 40 gr LRN target styles, very little choices, but ranged from 6 cents to 16 cents per rd for many. The .223 is still hanging up there well above pre Obama price levels, running in the .40s for steel case, and .50s for brass.

Meanwhile if you're willing to go stand in line on shipment days, or watch the patterns, you can get ammo now at places like Cabelas, Bass Pro, Academy Sports, and Walmart. A friend of mine just got 2 325 rd bricks of 36 gr plated .22LR for a reasonable price in St. Louis.

Thus, don't want to be premature, but looks like the supplies are bouncing back, and prices declining. Here it is end of July 2013, about where the predictions said recovery would start. So your ammo supplies in ROI should be relatively safe from the impact if they havn't been severely impacted by now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

EWQuinn,
    Not sure EW, have a look at the selection of 22lr, it is anemic at best. I have never seen such a low supply in my life. I just checked Cabelas and they have no 22lr for sale.

9mm is still ridiculously priced, so to is the 223. Fortunately, I am now reloading and not too worried about the factory stuff.

I agree that the supply lines have gotten better. I have finally, thanks to Natchezss.com gotten all the primers I need. Powder is flowing better too, but still needs improvement.

We're not going to see real improvements until the next administration, at the earliest.

I never thought that in my lifetime I would have to wait until I went to Eire to get ammo - 22lr subs. However, that day has come. Making matters worse, it just may be cheaper in Eire than the States!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Relatively speaking. For the past several months, those levels of availability, especially in 22LR and 9mm in the last couple months was unheard of. Demand will gradually subside and prices gradually drop. As the hoarders move to get their stuff for sale before prices drop, more product will come on the market and accelerate it.

The anti's are still on the gun control trail, but that issue is continually a loser for them, voters here increasingly know its not a solution. The wildcard may be some "executive orders" that could be issued in coming months. But with 2014 elections looming, Obamacare very unpopular, the economy sluggish, they'd better tread lightly.

Reloading components have been extremely tight as well, so in situations like this going to reloading after the big scare is not nec a perfect solution, but opens up options. But they too are gradually making a come back now.

'I never thought that in my lifetime I would have to wait until I went to Eire to get ammo - 22lr subs. However, that day has come. Making matters worse, it just may be cheaper in Eire than the States!'

That's some irony for sure! I am very happy that places like this were isolated from the madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

EWQuinn wrote: »
    Relatively speaking. For the past several months, those levels of availability, especially in 22LR and 9mm in the last couple months was unheard of. Demand will gradually subside and prices gradually drop. As the hoarders move to get their stuff for sale before prices drop, more product will come on the market and accelerate it.

The anti's are still on the gun control trail, but that issue is continually a loser for them, voters here increasingly know its not a solution. The wildcard may be some "executive orders" that could be issued in coming months. But with 2014 elections looming, Obamacare very unpopular, the economy sluggish, they'd better tread lightly.

Reloading components have been extremely tight as well, so in situations like this going to reloading after the big scare is not nec a perfect solution, but opens up options. But they too are gradually making a come back now.

'I never thought that in my lifetime I would have to wait until I went to Eire to get ammo - 22lr subs. However, that day has come. Making matters worse, it just may be cheaper in Eire than the States!'

That's some irony for sure! I am very happy that places like this were isolated from the madness.

get used to it , the big assault on gun and ammo control will come this fall...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Good, that will further paint them into a corner, setting the stage for a wipeout in the '14 elections.

Advertisement