Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat can't lift tail!vet cost?

• 03-08-2013 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Please help, our cat landed in this evening and can't lift his tail. He can wag it at the tip. Does it sound like its broken? I don't know how much a vet bill will cost out f hours on a bank holiday? Money is tight but I adore my cat and can't bear to see him suffer.
    Any idea how much an xray would cost and how much treatment would cost if its broken? We live in Donegal if that affects the price?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Are you able to touch the tail?

Might be something totally different, but about a year ago, one of my Toms couldn't lift his tail, it turned out to be a kidney infection.

And if your money is tight, have you got access to the Blue Cross?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

An x-ray will cost €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Lillydee

I touched his tail a little but he doesn't like it too much normally so I got a few scratches just now so I couldn't do it properly. His tail is very furry not like your average cat so I can't see any visible cuts or injuries. Its just so strange that he can wag it but can't lift it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Could simply be nerve damage but until Xrayed etc. you'll not know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If your cat is in discomfort, you need to contact a vet. Cost wise, you could ring around and ask how much it will cost - the price difference can be very dramatic from vet to vet. If you cannot afford out of hours, try contacting some charities (as mentioned) to see if they can help or give you some info on what to do. Do your best not to let your cat out if it is injured and in pain, try to keep it in until it can be seen by a vet.

An xray will be about €60/€70 but it will depend on the xray (it could turn out to be another issues not as obvious as a broken tail). Treatment and aftercare of a broken tail (if it is broken) can vary depending on severity, exact location of the break etc. so I don't know a price for this.

• Advertisement

Hi thanks for all the replies.
    I took henry to the vet today. Apparently he was bit and there is an abscess on his tail. It's touch and go if he'll loose it now as the vet said the bite is very close to some sort of nerve but he can't say for sure only time will tell. As for the cost, an xray, antistatic, tail shave, treatment and a course of anti biotics etc cost 55euro which I thought was very reasonable compared to what I had imagined it would cost.
    I just pray now that he'll heal and won't loose his lovely tail!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Lillydee wrote: »
    Hi thanks for all the replies.
    I took henry to the vet today. Apparently he was bit and there is an abscess on his tail. It's touch and go if he'll loose it now as the vet said the bite is very close to some sort of nerve but he can't say for sure only time will tell. As for the cost, an xray, antistatic, tail shave, treatment and a course of anti biotics etc cost 55euro which I thought was very reasonable compared to what I had imagined it would cost.
    I just pray now that he'll heal and won't loose his lovely tail!

that is amazingly cheap, I presume there was a general anaesthetic in there too. Same thing has cost me close to 200. Usually an abscess would be drained though...

Yeah they drained it as well now I have he unenviable job of doing it myself twice a day lucky me :-)

Advertisement