Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'What language do they speak in Brazil?' - Australian TV fail

• 03-08-2013 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

I heard Tim Vickery talking about this on BBC'S 5 Live Football Phone-in.

The Today Show in Australia decided to celebrate Australia's qualification for the World Cup with the presenter asking viewers to help them brush up on their SPANISH. One of the other presenters disputed that Spanish was spoken there - 'don't they speak Italian there?'

Anyways after asking viewers to send them in some Spanish phrases, one clever Brazilian called Diego decided to get his own back by sending in a supposedly Spanish phrase 'do caralho' which the presenters were told means 'amazing effort'.

The problem is 'caralho' is in fact the Brazilian Portuguese word for 'dick' and 'do caralho' is a pretty common Portuguese swear apparently. The presenters then proceeded to say the term amongst themselves landing themselves quite a few complaints in the process...

Vickery works for Brazilian TV and was able to convince them to air the clip for a Brazilian audience. He said they had to put in a lot of beeps for the Brazilian audience watching and says many viewers there were furious at the gaffe. :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did Car(v)alho get a hard time when Porto played in Brazil? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Shows also seems like it's good fun with the presenters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

pure mongs...they pronounce it so poorly most Brasilians would not have understood it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

pure mongs...they pronounce it so poorly most Brasilians would not have understood it anyway.
    Let me guess, you have been to Brazil and can speak Portuguese quite well or fluently?

How about Russia? Been there? If I wrote something in Russian and asked you to repeat it, you would get the pronunciation spot on yes?

Whatever about their knowledge of Brazil, to call someone a mong for mispronouncing a word in a foreign language that they are reading for the first time is both ridiculous and pretentious in the extreme.

Oh and it's "Brazilians" in the English language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Let me guess, you have been to Brazil and can speak Portuguese quite well or fluently?

How about Russia? Been there? If I wrote something in Russian and asked you to repeat it, you would get the pronunciation spot on yes?

Whatever about their knowledge of Brazil, to call someone a mong for mispronouncing a word in a foreign language that they are reading for the first time is both ridiculous and pretentious in the extreme.

Oh and it's "Brazilians" in the English language.

To be fair, they come across as mongs to me as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Isn't that the same crowd that said Michael D was the prime minister and the irish should compete for the British Olympics team as the republic was just an irish joke?

Wouldn't pay much attention to them they are in their own little world and not representative of the Australian people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

TheBza wrote: »
    To be fair, they come across as mongs to me as well.
    If he stopped at "pure mongs" I wouldn't have bothered, the pretentiousness in the following line annoyed me.

Advertisement