Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod not on Licence

• 03-08-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

I was reading away here the other day, as I am interested in applying for a .223 I came across a thread where a fellow poster was talking about a restricted and non-restricted licence, this got me thinking I never seen the "S" on my licence, as I applied for this over 2 years ago and will be due a renewal on the gun next year. I called to the Garda Station next day and gave my licence number for that Gun the trace on the pulse system was done and NO it's not listed, here we go if I was before I knew this was stopped and had this Mod on the Gun what would have happened, and also more important can I highlight this when the renewal comes in and get this sorted:eek::eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

This is why i tell people not to accept letters of authorisation. While legally it's valid it's not on PULSE unless the magic "S" is on the license.

If caught with a mod on a firearm without the "S" (or even the letter) you are in possession of an unlicensed firearm. Apply to have it put on your license immediately. If you are in for a renewal now then apply for it under section 3.2 (by ticking the box). Then write on a separate piece of paper why you need it.

Keep it locked in the safe and do not use it until the matter is sorted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

How do I apply to add it on now as the Licence is not due till next year, do I just write a letter and send this to the FO in the local station, They know me very well as I am the Secretary of my Club, how I missed this is I just don't know too much running around after others, anyway thanks for the advice. :o

The "proper" way is to apply with an FCA1 as it's classed as a firearm. This will incur another €80.

My way is to go to your FO, inform him that you applied for it with the firearm, and you've noticed it's not on the license. Ask him his advice on how to proceed. he might be able to sort you out quicker, easier, cheaper and stress free.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

That's what I'd do go in see the fo. One guy is on holidays the other guy is there now and that's the man you want to see hands down if you need he name again pm me.

He is a gent and Very reasonable. By the book definitely he is but he wants to help lads infairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Call to see your F.O. As Cass said, explain that you had applied for it initially and give reasons for wanting it.

They might want you to write a letter outlining these reasons, or possibly just accept your reasons from your conversation.

The S can be sorted for you in two ways. 1, by the F.O. ticking a box on the computer on your original file, whereby a reprint arrives at your home a few days later.(saw mine done this way)
    2, by you filling in another application form solely for the moderator. This way it has a seperate licence and will cost you €80.

Obviously 1 is the best option. Call to the station to talk to the F.O. Hopefully they can get you sorted out handy enough

Call to see your F.O. As Cass said, explain that you had applied for it initially and give reasons for wanting it.

They might want you to write a letter outlining these reasons, or possibly just accept your reasons from your conversation.

The S can be sorted for you in two ways. 1, by the F.O. ticking a box on the computer on your original file, whereby a reprint arrives at your home a few days later.(saw mine done this way)
    2, by you filling in another application form solely for the moderator. This way it has a seperate licence and will cost you €80.

Obviously 1 is the best option. Call to the station to talk to the F.O. Hopefully they can get you sorted out handy enough

I did write a letter at the time of application, explaining the reasons why I wanted it added, just missed it, I am off tomorrow so I am paying a visit to the local I only hope the FO is on duty. Thanks anyway.

Cass wrote: »
    The "proper" way is to apply with an FCA1 as it's classed as a firearm. This will incur another €80.

My way is to go to your FO, inform him that you applied for it with the firearm, and you've noticed it's not on the license. Ask him his advice on how to proceed. he might be able to sort you out quicker, easier, cheaper and stress free.

Thanks all especially Cass for steering me in the right direction, I went to the local FO who just happened to be on duty, and got the "S" added to my licence, which I am told will replace the one I have and with no payment due as I showed him the original paperwork, He was very helpful I could not thank him enough it was just missed on my application. now lads the Garda can help once you explain they are more then willing to go the extra Mile. Thanks again to my FO.:D :D:D.

Same way mine was sorted. Glad you got the result you were looking for, just wait the two or three days for the new licence before you break out the mod!!

I received the replacement licence this morning, but it looks the same as the first one issued, I might be going blind where is this "S" on the licence to show I have permission to have a Mod on the gun:confused:

Bottom left side. On the front.

Nothing there Cass:confused:

Not on the license so.

Contact your FO. Explain you got the license with no "S" on it. As him to check PULSE.

If it were on PULSE then the license should be printed with it on it.

Here we go again back to the local station, is this a printing error if I ask in the local station to check the pulse system again and it's there it has to be the person printing these licences that is omitting this "S".:confused:

Without having seen it, my understanding is if it's on PULSE and they request a print of the license PULSE recognises the details, the "S", etc. and prints it.

So either it was not entered correctly, it was entered but did not print it, or they are not giving it on the license but in the form of a letter form the Super.

The only way to know for sure is to contact the FO. Or anyone that can access PULSE for that matter.

Without having seen it, my understanding is if it's on PULSE and they request a print of the license PULSE recognises the details, the "S", etc. and prints it.

So either it was not entered correctly, it was entered but did not print it, or they are not giving it on the license but in the form of a letter form the Super.

The only way to know for sure is to contact the FO. Or anyone that can access PULSE for that matter.

Any garda can check to see if it's there on Pulse, but only the F.O. would make changes to the file, to put the s on or increase ammo etc. Or the super.

On The back of the letter it says.

"That the conditions as set out in section 4 of the Firearms Act,1925 as substituted by Section 32 (4)(2) of the Criminal Justice Act,2006 have been complied with.":confused:

Tawny Owl wrote: »
    On The back of the letter it says.

"That the conditions as set out in section 4 of the Firearms Act,1925 as substituted by Section 32 (4)(2) of the Criminal Justice Act,2006 have been complied with.":confused:

Nearly sure it says that on all letters. What I meant by my last post was that you could call to the station and ask to have it checked on pulse by the guard on duty there, but if it's not on your file then it would need to be the F.O. to make the necessary amendment.
    judging by your report of your chat with him, I'd imagine it was to be given to you, but somehow he didnt click ok or press enter before printing!! Annoying but I'd say you're still good to get it.

Officer is off till Friday, so another trip then, and I was told last week by himself he had adjusted it on the Pulse system to show this, and that the licence would follow, I just have to wait to see what's going on. As we say in work "not a mistake it was a Technical error" covers a lot that.:D

Just received my third Licence in the post yesterday having fun here:confused:, can I just clear up this "S" one more time I am told it's on the botton left of the licence, all I am getting is a holagram in the top right hand corner of the licence, with a big "S" the other two licence's all I could see printed on them was the word security in small writing, this third one has a large shiny "S" is this top right hand area where it's placed now is it back to the station for round 4.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Tawny Owl wrote: »
    Just received my third Licence in the post yesterday having fun here:confused:, can I just clear up this "S" one more time I am told it's on the botton left of the licence, all I am getting is a holagram in the top right hand corner of the licence, with a big "S" the other two licence's all I could see printed on them was the word security in small writing, this third one has a large shiny "S" is this top right hand area where it's placed now is it back to the station for round 4.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Check your PMs mate

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Question. Do mods have a serial number as I have been granted the magic "S" subject to the serial number of the mod been tied to the rifle on the Pulse system?

Some have, most don't.

Check your mod. If it has any identifying number use that. Other than that you will have to tell them that it doesn't come with one. I've heard, however true or not, of a lad being told to have a serial engraved onto the mod. Now it smells of bullsh*t to me as it's not legit (as in the serial number will be made up), cannot be sold on to someone else (as the serial number will be tied to the rifle/person), and no one will except it as a trade or to buy if it has anything engraved on it. I wouldn't.

However they can impose conditions so chat with your FO and see what he can do. I'd be going the "I've no serial number" route if it doesn't have one and avoiding anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I've just received my letter of approval for a .22.
    I had applied for a moderator but I can't see any reference to a moderator on the letter.

Does this mean it hasn't been granted or do I have to wait until I get the license and look for the S?

Bw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Wait till you get the license. It should be on there if you got it.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    I've just received my letter of approval for a .22.
    I had applied for a moderator but I can't see any reference to a moderator on the letter.

Does this mean it hasn't been granted or do I have to wait until I get the license and look for the S?

Bw

Yeah I am getting good at this, wait till the Licence arrives it will have a small "S" in bold ink just under the F where it says Firearms number 1234567 if not and you applied ask the FO was it granted if so get onto to it as quickly as possible to get it sorted and The best of Luck;)

http://db.tt/4G8vs8Fw

There will be no mention of a mod on your letter, or rather there might not be.
    When the licence itself arrives, you are looking for the black s on its own at the bottom left corner.

see link for photo. Please excuse scraps of paper etc, it was just taken off my lap and had to cover name address etc, but it shows what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Thanks for the answers guys, much appreciated.

I'll pay my money and see what I get.

Fingers crossed.

Bw

http://db.tt/4G8vs8Fw

There will be no mention of a mod on your letter, or rather there might not be.
    When the licence itself arrives, you are looking for the black s on its own at the bottom left corner.

see link for photo. Please excuse scraps of paper etc, it was just taken off my lap and had to cover name address etc, but it shows what you're looking for.

Good Man tomtucker81 this is the photo that was needed now all can see just what it looks like :D;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Some have, most don't.

Check your mod. If it has any identifying number use that. Other than that you will have to tell them that it doesn't come with one. I've heard, however true or not, of a lad being told to have a serial engraved onto the mod. Now it smells of bullsh*t to me as it's not legit (as in the serial number will be made up), cannot be sold on to someone else (as the serial number will be tied to the rifle/person), and no one will except it as a trade or to buy if it has anything engraved on it. I wouldn't.

However they can impose conditions so chat with your FO and see what he can do. I'd be going the "I've no serial number" route if it doesn't have one and avoiding anything else.
    Thanks very much Cass, will talk to the FO.