Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same role/title, higher wage...

• 03-08-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi there. I have just found out that a colleague is on approximately a 15% higher salary than myself. I have been employed with the company for 5 years and my colleague has for 2. In January we were both promoted to the same position. I have a degree in the particular field of work whereas my colleague does not. I should also add that we are of different sex. In January I was told by my colleague that they got a pay rise. When I confronted my General Manager, I was told this was not true. Today I discovered he lied about this. Is this legal?

Edit: I should also add it has come to light that we both aaked for pay rises at the same time. I was told there was no money in the budget for such and no one would be getting one. However, my colleague was granted one.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Osborne wrote: »
    Hi there. I have just found out that a colleague is on approximately a 15% higher salary than myself. I have been employed with the company for 5 years and my colleague has for 2. In January we were both promoted to the same position. I have a degree in the particular field of work whereas my colleague does not. I should also add that we are of different sex. In January I was told by my colleague that they got a pay rise. When I confronted my General Manager, I was told this was not true. Today I discovered he lied about this. Is this legal?

You could contact a solicitor and see what they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

You could contact a solicitor and see what they say

That I will, however not at 23:42 on a Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

As long as they are paying you the minimum wage there is nothing illegal being done. Maybe your colleague is a better negotiator than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Its not illegal per se to have two different workers on different wages as, of course, employment contracts are just that, contracts agreed between adults/companies. However there may be gender discrimination and youd need to seek legal advice so any advice given to you will be fully informed.

Yes, I will contact my solicitor after the long weekend. I can guarantee my colleague is a better negotiator than me and I feel very naive at the moment. On paper I am a better performer than my colleague which is proven. I thought employment law stated that "like" work warrants equal pay but I could be completely wrong. Thank you for all input so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand, would not involving legal people at this stage be very much a career limiting move?

Manach wrote: »
    Offhand, would not involving legal people at this stage be very much a career limiting move?

Even to see where I stand? I was planning to talk to my HR manager also. I think this has my position untenable anyway. my immediate manager thinks it's wrong too but that could be just empathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

That I will, however not at 23:42 on a Saturday night.

Plenty on call :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Even to see where I stand? I was planning to talk to my HR manager also. I think this has my position untenable anyway. my immediate manager thinks it's wrong too but that could be just empathy.

Follow your internal HR first before seeking external advice.

To be honest, and this is far from legal advice, your entire attitude seems a bit poor. It's common practice for people to negotiate their own salary and different people are better than this than others, the means used are not always fair.

All you do is approach your manager for a raise, citing the reasons why it's justified.

• Advertisement

To be honest, and this is far from legal advice, your entire attitude seems a bit poor. It's common practice for people to negotiate their own salary and different people are better than this than others, the means used are not always fair.

All you do is approach your manager for a raise, citing the reasons why it's justified.

Could you elaborate on my poor attitude? I took my GM's claim of "there is no money for ANY pay rises" as gospel. I was told my colleague would also be denied a pay rise, therefore I left it at that. Yesterday I found out my colleague got the pay rise the week I asked and my manager Manager lied to my face.

I may be wrong in thinking I am being hard done by but my attitude is far from poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Could you elaborate on my poor attitude? I took my GM's claim of "there is no money for ANY pay rises" as gospel. I was told my colleague would also be denied a pay rise, therefore I left it at that. Yesterday I found out my colleague got the pay rise the week I asked and my manager Manager lied to my face.

I may be wrong in thinking I am being hard done by but my attitude is far from poor.
    If you or the other guy quit would it be hard to replace ye. He could have done something as simple as "more money or I walk". If he would be hard to replace he'd probably get his rise.

ken wrote: »
    If you or the other guy quit would it be hard to replace ye. He could have done something as simple as "more money or I walk". If he would be hard to replace he'd probably get his rise.

Easily replaced. If that threat was made, the GM would let the person in question walk.

I have been employed with the company for 5 years and my colleague has for 2.

In January we were both promoted to the same position. I have a degree in the particular field of work whereas my colleague does not.

I should also add that we are of different sex.

Term of service does not relate to the talent for the job, neither does a degree, unless required for the profession, even then. Point three is what convinced me of the poor attitude, as-well as the untenable comment in a later post based, in part it seems, on a salary differential.

While lying is never acceptable, neither is discussing other people's salaries.

There's never 'not money in the budget' when it comes to retaining talent a company wants to keep. Let's be utterly and completely honest there's something about you co-worker they want to keep over you. Now that could be completely work related or it could not. As NoQuarter has pointed out if you've convincing proof of discrimination there may be recourse, I'm not sure that will have the outcome you want though to be honest. If they're a bunch of morons that can't pay based on work performance, you're better off rid.

Term of service does not relate to the talent for the job, neither does a degree, unless required for the profession, even then. Point three is what convinced me of the poor attitude, as-well as the untenable comment in a later post based, in part it seems, on a salary differential.

While lying is never acceptable, neither is discussing other people's salaries.

There's never 'not money in the budget' when it comes to retaining talent a company wants to keep. Let's be utterly and completely honest there's something about you co-worker they want to keep over you. Now that could be completely work related or it could not. As NoQuarter has pointed out if you've convincing proof of discrimination there may be recourse, I'm not sure that will have the outcome you want though to be honest. If they're a bunch of morons that can't pay based on work performance, you're better off rid.

My attitude is poor because I feel I cannot work under a manager that has lied to my face and because I mentioned I am of a different gender to my colleague? Right.

Your final paragraph makes more sense. I wouldn't have a problem if my manager had pointed out what that "something" my colleague has that warrants more money. Also, your final sentence sums it up nicely.

I have a meeting later. I shall keep you updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Don't play the gender card unless you have clear evidence this is the reason

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Not getting involved in the tread, but I am curious as to why it is not being made clear whether the higher paid person is a man or a woman!

Not getting involved in the tread, but I am curious as to why it is not being made clear whether the higher paid person is a man or a woman!

I am male. I have been informed that the difference in pay is because I am somewhat younger (5 years ) than my colleague and I do not have children.

I am male. I have been informed that the difference in pay is because I am somewhat younger (5 years ) than my colleague and I do not have children.

If thats the specific issue seek legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

Neither of those should be considerations when determining pay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement