Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a caravan

Options
  • 04-08-2013 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Any advice for me, im going to look at a do-er up-er
    Whats a no no in regards to fixing or getting fixed

My husband is a cabinet maker and my dad is a welder

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

First of all be sure your car can tow the caravan. If you are looking at the bottom end of the market it is almost certain to have damp. Look around some of the damp repair blogs like this one http://www.1carpc.co.uk/wcdr/.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Make sure to shop around and give yourself plenty of time - it can be easy to get excited with the first few you look at.

Make sure you check them all over and check for damp ( Get one of these or something similar - well worth the 20 quid)
    If you smell any damp, walk away.

We bough a caravan about 2 years ago and traveled to a lot of dealers in Ireland, and most of what they were selling was damp (even thought he tried to say it wasn't, or it was nothing and would be fine). To be honest, I was appaled at the quality of some of the stuff that was being sold.
    Charles camping had good quality stuff, but are relatively expensive, but you get what you pay for.

We bought privately on DoneDeal, but we were looking for a few months. (I also had owned a motorhome for a few years, so I had a good idea of what to look for)

Also - go look at a few and decide what layout suits you best.
    Another thing is the bathroom facility - ours does not have a shower, but we will only ever use it in a campsite, so we will use the shower there - not having a shower also means there is less chance of damp/water ingress in the bathroom area.

Also google "buying a caravan" and there are a lot of tips out there.

Good luck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Thanks guys, great advice

Advertisement