Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prank or crime?

• 04-08-2013 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Have you seen the video about the "Prank by a couple of idiots at the Galway races"? Where some guys tip over a portaloo with someone inside during the races?

I am just confused with the response it has received on the internets.

Most people agree that it was a crappy thing to do (pardon the pun). But there seems to be a divide as to whether it was just a prank or a crime. Regardless of whether they knew who was in it at the time or if they were injured, surely, tipping it over is still criminal damage?

On another note, people seem to be tagging the lads in the video on facebook and youtube and they seem to be quite proud of themselves. Not sure I would be if I was their employer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭john.han

Pranks can be crimes, in this instance the potential crimes are assault, criminal damage, disorderly conduct... Some level of intent is necessary for all crimes but direct intent is only necessary for certain ones. Recklessness is sufficient intent for assault if someone was inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Have you seen the video about the "Prank by a couple of idiots at the Galway races"? Where some guys tip over a portaloo with someone inside during the races?

Did the occupant end up covered in faeces and urine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If the occupant ended up getting covered in poop and piss, I'd say they could ask for the hooligans to be charged with assault. Added to that, the bleach used to negate the poop may cover the victim, which I believe can cause harm to the users skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭brian_t

Could the Gardai take action on the Video evidence alone or would they have to identify the victim ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

brian_t wrote: »
    Could the Gardai take action on the Video evidence alone or would they have to identify the victim ?

That would depend on the charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Section 2 assault can be consented to, so can section 3 despite Dolny. Criminal damaged however...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

I am just confused with the response it has received on the internets.

Most people agree that it was a crappy thing to do (pardon the pun). But there seems to be a divide as to whether it was just a prank or a crime. Regardless of whether they knew who was in it at the time or if they were injured, surely, tipping it over is still criminal damage?

On another note, people seem to be tagging the lads in the video on facebook and youtube and they seem to be quite proud of themselves. Not sure I would be if I was their employer.

you could take that opinion at any stage of a prank ....
    at what point is it ever simply kids having a laugh....its always at someone else's expense, so its always a form of bullying....pranks in their simplest form are bullying, so.... does it only become a criminal act when the victim suffers a physical injury, develops mental issues or decides to confront the bullies.... or when a do-gooder decides its not fair.

stand up comedy is based on a fine line..... they have to guage whats acceptable to make fun of, didn't Tommy Tiernan get slated for his special needs comments in the Cork Opera House a few years back, or the big yin, billy connolly ... made jokes about a british guy being beheadded....several days after it happened (I think)..... comedians simply poke fun at (bully) a sector of society and if the masses agree then its funny, if they dont ...then the comedian is insensitive or picking on "them".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Zambia wrote: »
    That would depend on the charge.

I know you're in Australia, Zambia, but that was pure Templemore!

Advertisement