Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like to live in Donegal?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Living here 2 years now.
    It's great here, the people are lovely, some have a chip on their shoulder against dublin people but its a minority.

Prices are much better than dublin and it feels safer and more welcoming.
    the two set backs donegal has is the boyracer culcture and it rains 5 days of the week (well at least musch more than it did in dublin).
    but when its not raining its beautiful. the nicest county in the country in my opinion much better than clare.

The Gardai have seemingly given up on stopping boyracers, the roads are an ugly mess of tire marks which is awful looking from a tourist prospective.

Donegal people tend to be more interested their cars more so than people from other counties,(people in cities generally don't care how they get from a to b) so if you are into motors you'll always have something to talk about.

The pubs are friendly and cheap so nights out are great, theres little variety in night clubs just crappy dance music venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The Gardai have seemingly given up on stopping boyracers, the roads are an ugly mess of tire marks which is awful looking from a tourist prospective.

Donegal people tend to be more interested their cars more so than people from other counties,(people in cities generally don't care how they get from a to b) so if you are into motors you'll always have something to talk about.

I'm gonna have to disagree with these points. With the Gardai having little or no resources (like lots of other counties) they simply don't have the manpower or abilities to police the entire road network of Donegal. But to say that they are turning a blind eye to boyracers is a bit of an exaggeration.

I wouldn't say we are more into cars than any other county, we might rely on them more than other counties or city areas so put more effort into them but I spent a few years in Galway and Sligo and seen the exact same as I do here with regards car obsessives.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

The one thing that used to be amazing about living in (in my case beside) Donegal was the ease of access to Football Special. Sadly though that drink has gone downhill in recent years! Seriously though, like most places its what you make of it that'll make the difference. If you make the effort to explore Donegal and integrate yourself with the friendly locals you'll love it, hop in the car and within 20 minutes you can get yourself lost in some picturesque places. With cities like Letterkenny and Derry nearby your not far from the usual amenities. Be warned though, half of Derry invades the place every summer:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Back up here now for six weeks, first thing I had to get used to was the level of tailgating that goes on, and I'm far from a slow driver. Can't figure out how sitting on another driver's ass either gets them out of the way or makes overtaking easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Back up here now for six weeks, first thing I had to get used to was the level of tailgating that goes on, and I'm far from a slow driver. Can't figure out how sitting on another driver's ass either gets them out of the way or makes overtaking easy.

You ain't seen nothing yet!

Wait 'till the nights get long and a lot of people can't find the dip switch. When I travel down the country, I know that I am back home when I get blinded by headlights. For some reason it seems to be worse in Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Unfortunately not really qualified to respond to the original question but just to say I have been going to Donegal on breaks / holidays from childhood and I find the whole county wonderful - have stayed in Bundoran, Rossnowlagh, Donegal Town, Ballybofey, Killybegs, Carrick, Derrybeg, and Dunfanaghy - the people and the towns / countryside are tops. I've always promised myself that I'll go up for a few days in the mid winter to see what it's like - that's still on the "to do list".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

where I am is on the main Derry Sligo road and the traffic goes through the town, so its always busy. Im 20 mins from Strabane, 40 from Derry and 20 from Letterkenny, so its great for 'shappin'. Im a little under an hour from Derry airport.. if you live near Derry, you can be in London quicker than Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

where I am is on the main Derry Sligo road and the traffic goes through the town, so its always busy. Im 20 mins from Strabane, 40 from Derry and 20 from Letterkenny, so its great for 'shappin'. Im a little under an hour from Derry airport.. if you live near Derry, you can be in London quicker than Dublin.

I'm about the same distance from Derry as I was from Dublin but can get there in a third of the time. Easy access to Letterkenny and then to magnificent west Donegal on one side and the Foyle ferry to the Causeway coast on the other side. And every wee beach tucked out of the way here in Inishowen. And City of Derry Airport. Not in any hurry to back to Dublin suburbia. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Joe 90 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but the the hell is it?

Where have you been, man? Everybody knows Cliff Richard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Danny Gallagher

Hi,

I am moving to Donegal in the next 3 months, I have spent a lot of time in Bundoran since childhood and would be moving there. I will need to buy a car pretty much immedialey for my commute. Any recommendations for good car dealerships or second hand places. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi,

I am moving to Donegal in the next 3 months, I have spent a lot of time in Bundoran since childhood and would be moving there. I will need to buy a car pretty much immedialey for my commute. Any recommendations for good car dealerships or second hand places. Thanks in advance for any help.
    If you're not moving for near enough 3 months and you "need to buy a car pretty much immedialey for my commute" then you're better looking for one wherever you live now at the moment

Advertisement