Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam on on hard drive, games on another?

• 04-08-2013 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if this is possible. I just got a HDD and was going to put Steam on it, but want the games to actually live on my old 2TB regular HDD, as the SSD is only 250GB. Is this possible or does it even make sense to do it? Should I just install Steam onto the other HDD?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

To what end? If you want the performance boost your SSD will bring, install steam to your old 2TB drive and then use Steamtool to move and link the gamefiles for the game you're playing to your SSD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

To what end? If you want the performance boost your SSD will bring, install steam to your old 2TB drive and then use Steamtool to move and link the gamefiles for the game you're playing to your SSD.

It's to save space on the SSD. Will look into Steamtool, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

you Don't need steam tool anymore

Click on View and go to settings

Go to "Downloads" tab

Click "Steam Library Folders"

add Library folder and navigate to a folder on large hard drive.

Now when you install a game you have the option of installing it to either the default place or the new library folder you created.

I have steam installed on my SSD, i install games on each hard drive based on need (e.g. a resource heavy game would go on ssd)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah, since an update landed not too long ago, Steam now asks you where you want to install any given game. So I just have old, less resource hungry stuff on a hdd, and put the new stuff that really requires an ssd, on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

That's perfect, dunno how I didn't know about that. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement