Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living abroad, would you pay for RTE content?

Options
  • 04-08-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

According to today's Sunday Business Post, RTE are planning iPad and iPhone apps to deliver tv content, specifically for us living abroad. For a fee, of course.

If you were/are living abroad, would you pay for RTE content?

would you pay for RTE content? 28 votes

Yes, if the price was reasonable
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, price no object
    96% 27 votes
    Not a hope
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    According to today's Sunday Business Post, RTE are planning iPad and iPhone apps to deliver tv content, specifically for us living abroad. For a fee, of course.

If you were/are living abroad, would you pay for RTE content?

Not a fupping chance their standard is terrible no where else delivers such scant content.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Why would you watch RTE when all their stuff comes from BBC anyway.

RTE is rubbish IMO, your better off with Freesat and online services (Netflix etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Why would you watch RTE when all their stuff comes from BBC anyway.

RTE is rubbish IMO, your better off with Freesat and online services (Netflix etc)

Where I live, the likes of Freesat are not an option.

And besides, the likes of Love/hate do not come via the BBC.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Where I live, the likes of Freesat are not an option.

And besides, the likes of Love/hate do not come via the BBC.

Just use Hola Unblocker:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-unblocker/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en

https://www.facebook.com/notes/hola-unblocker-scripts/the-great-wall-of-hscripts/260403304101835

But for one show .... I'd just buy the box set, if i was really that into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I wouldn't, they offer nothing of worth or nothing worth paying for imo, apart from GAA but the few games I would want to watch I can catch down the pub. TBH, I wouldn't even watch if it was free.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

jester77 wrote: »
    I wouldn't, they offer nothing of worth or nothing worth paying for imo, apart from GAA but the few games I would want to watch I can catch down the pub. TBH, I wouldn't even watch if it was free.

I loath each and every rte presenter, except for the weather girls!

Id pay for the station to be put off the air.

Fair city :mad: well done, up just pit your people back ten years!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Get yourself a VPN, then you can reside in Ireland, UK, USA or wherever you want to watch free TV.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Get yourself a VPN, then you can reside in Ireland, UK, USA or wherever you want to watch free TV.

Hola is free ... vpn costs money.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Why would I pay to watch it abroad, when its free to not watch it here??
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@keithclancy..... thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I think that I'd be willing to pay for access to live GAA matches but little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Nope.
    There was one RTE programme that I wanted to watch recently, so my OH did something on the media centre that allowed me to watch it via the internet (no idea what he used) and I left it on for a bit and I can safely say that I do not miss Irish television at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I knew this was on the cards. About six months ago an RTÉ survey popped up on my iPad asking me all about the programmes I watch and whether I'd be interested in accessing the whole of RTÉ player content...for a fee.

To my mind there just isn't enough worthwhile on RTÉ to make paying for it an attractive option. The same cannot be said for the BBC iPlayer. I would definitely pay for that if I was living in Ireland.

At the moment I can watch the Late Late Show and current affairs shows on the RTÉ player for free and that's great. I like these shows. However RTÉ do not invest enough in interesting historical programming.

For example, recently on the BBC iPlayer I've been watching:

The other Pompeii (a documentary about Herculaneum)
    Pagans and Pilgrims
    The Dark Ages
    The time travellers guide to Elizabethan England

I've also watched documentaries about the Tudors, the war of the roses, Scottish rebellion etc.
    The list of high quality historical factual content goes on and on.

I would gladly pay a yearly fee for that! :)

RTÉ historical documentaries tend to focus on the troubles or something around Anglo-Irish history and tend to be made up of archive footage that explains the chronological timeline but does little to dispel commonly held misconceptions or to further analyse the situation beyond 'Brits are bad, Irish are good' (akin to the Orwellian two legs bad, four legs good...).

There's little or nothing about how the ordinary Irish person lived in the 1500s for example or about the spread of Christianity through Europe or about ancient Rome or the fact that there is the suggestion that the Romans were paying Irish tribes to raid the Welsh coast to distract resources from repelling Roman invasion etc.

I understand that RTÉ probably don't have the budgets to make as many shows but something, even a documentary on the socio-political climate that culminated in the lockouts of 1913 and the effects it had on businesses and ordinary workers would be great.

I won't pay for Fair City, Off the Rails or any other light entertainment. Love/Hate seems like an excellent show but I'm watching that on Channel 5 at the moment so again, nothing worth paying for imo.

IF I thought that my contribution would improve the quality of programming or result in the raising of production and editorial standards I'd pay for it but I just don't see that happening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This is probably down to be being tech-ignorant, but any time I click on RTE I get "sorry - not available in your area".

In answer to your question, though: no. But then I don't watch much tv anyway, and I only stream 3 or 4 shows.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

I would.... in my bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

I might for things like sports events if there was a reasonably priced pay as you go option.

Not being able to watch Cheltenham or Punchestown this year or the rugby games was a killer. There were some other significant events I couldn't watch either which I cant call to mind right now.

So maybe.

But I haven't even possessed a television in Ireland while I live there so I'm not exactly a tv connoisseur I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TheCruiser

Just use a VPN like Overplay.net. Thats what I do already to get content like Love/Hate.

Advertisement