Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV3 or BBC2 ?

• 04-08-2013 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

Big question ??? For those not attending todays games and watching on Tv.

TV3 or BBC2 NI ?? who will have the best commentary ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

BBC2. They have better pundits, ie, people actually from Ulster, better picture quality and a set that doesn't hurt your eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

BBC.

Much better than TV3 in terms of commentary and punditry.

They also pick up the match atmosphere better than TV3 (everyone does to be fair), TV3 like the commentators voice to be heard, not the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

BBC, even with no HD option. Better picture, no ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

BBC2 it is so :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

My feckin sky keeps cutting out on tv3, hope bbc is better. Don't mind the pundits on tv3 but the quality is brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Ok looking at BBC maybe not a better picture, but at least no ads! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

And that's why BBC are full of shíte, Mackey as mom is beyond ridiculous.

Lelantos wrote: »
    And that's why BBC are full of shíte, Mackey as mom is beyond ridiculous.

Who did TV3 give it to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

realies wrote: »
    Who did TV3 give it to ?
    cavan fullback

• Advertisement

Talking over the anthem wasn't intended...course not...

Lelantos wrote: »
    Talking over the anthem wasn't intended...course not...

Who was your man of the match ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

BBC for me today.

realies wrote: »
    Who was your man of the match ?

Cool head all day long, Gooch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

I watched the BBC and I would always choose the BBC over any other broadcaster for any sport. What they lack in content they make up for in quality.

I was disappointed in their choice to continue speaking during the Irish national anthem though. I would question the thinking behind playing national anthems before non-international matches as its a bit of a political statement but its what GAA supporters want (the Russians do it before football also). That said, its a national anthem and deserves respect as such. The reasons why they continued to talk are not hard to fathom. The BBC would've been the first to complain though had there been a similar reaction to God Save The Queen in Croke Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The anthem caught the players in Croke Park by surprise and seemed to catch the BBC by surprise as well.

No need for people to make a big deal about it and I doubt anybody is too offended.The northern supporters tend to show more respect for it than the other 26 counties as the generally refrain from shouting until it is over.

Also I thought Enda McGinley was good on the BBC today and is certainly an improvement on Eoin Mulligan, I wouldnt mind RTE or TV3 getting McGinley for some of their games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

The anthem caught the players in Croke Park by surprise and seemed to catch the BBC by surprise as well.

No need for people to make a big deal about it and I doubt anybody is too offended.The northern supporters tend to show more respect for it than the other 26 counties as the generally refrain from shouting until it is over.

Also I thought Enda McGinley was good on the BBC today and is certainly an improvement on Eoin Mulligan, I wouldnt mind RTE or TV3 getting McGinley for some of their games.

Hmm... I'm not sure, I think they must have heard it as it was playing in the studio on the screen whilst they were speaking. That said, lets give benefit of the doubt, maybe they were genuinely caught out.

By the way, I didn't suggest people from Northern Ireland don't respect anthems, just that it seemed that the BBC hadn't. Generally, in Northern Ireland the two communities show respect far and above that shown in the Republic of Ireland or the UK for the two cultures (back home we joke that the only place people say they're "British" is in certain communities of Northern Ireland - based on the fact we generally describe ourselves as Welsh, the Scottish as Scottish and the English as English). That discussion, however, is a route I don't really want to go down.

Live and let live I say :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I must be one of the few that think BBC is brutal for watching a game!

I cannot stand it, the commentary is a series of 'jokes' that are usually brushed off by Oiseen McConville, who almost seems to be embarrassed most of the time by them.

The analysis is as dull as dishwater and the overall package comes across as even cheaper than TV3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

I watched the ulster final on bbc and thought it was much better than tv3. I wouldn't be too picky about which is better I just want to see the game. But I watched the Kilkenny and Tipp match last month on tv3 and thought it was complete crap. They kept showing replays when the game was going on. It wasn't too bad today for the games on tv3 but the picture quality wasn't the greatest.

I think the main commentator on bbc is grand but the colour commentator is kinda annoying.
    Will any of the rest of the all ireland series be on bbc2? or tv3 for that matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Just minor hurling and football final games on TV3 now on.

Assume BBC will follow Tyrone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Anthems for every game shouldn't be a big deal.
    In America NFL (competition structure and level of patriotism that the GAA is often compared to) the anthem is played before every game but the broadcasters ignore it until the semi final stage when it bcomes a big deal, and the final (superbowl) when it becomes a huge part of the occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Recorded the Cavan game on both TV3 and RTE and have to say I didn't find TV3 that bad.

Hayes is a bit of a clown and they should replace Cooper but O'Se was good and Brady no worse than the RTE lads.

The one thing would keep me away from the BBC is that horrible little gremlin NcHugh. The entire game he hadn't one good word to say about Cavan and at the end he apparently made a quip about the Cavan players being happy to get their Kerry jersey for their day out and head home.

Cavan came back in the second half a bit and he never gave one bit of credit to them. This follows last year where he declared us the worst team in Ulster after we had just beaten Fermanagh!

It's well known down here that he and Terry Hyland don't get on so why pundits, a la Joe Brolly re Paul Grimley earlier this year, are allowed to carry on these personal vendettas on a national medium is beyond me.

The funniest was earlier this year in the Ulster U21 final. McHugh was commenting on the game for some Donegal radio station. He spent the entire pre match building up McBrearty and his two sons that were playing.

Donegal lost the match and Jason McLoughlin had McBrearty in his pocket most of the game. Cue the bold wee Martin declaring at the end that Donegal would still go home the happier team because they had 3-4 players who would make an impact at senior level whereas Cavan had none!

That Cavan team included Jack Brady, Killian Clarke, Jason McLoughlin, Fergal Flanagan, Dara McVeety and Micharl Argue. Six lads who have all just had a great Summer with the seniors.

Martin is one bitter wee man.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 aghost

Lemlin wrote: »
    Recorded the Cavan game on both TV3 and RTE and have to say I didn't find TV3 that bad.

Hayes is a bit of a clown and they should replace Cooper but O'Se was good and Brady no worse than the RTE lads.

The one thing would keep me away from the BBC is that horrible little gremlin NcHugh. The entire game he hadn't one good word to say about Cavan and at the end he apparently made a quip about the Cavan players being happy to get their Kerry jersey for their day out and head home.

Cavan came back in the second half a bit and he never gave one bit of credit to them. This follows last year where he declared us the worst team in Ulster after we had just beaten Fermanagh!

It's well known down here that he and Terry Hyland don't get on so why pundits, a la Joe Brolly re Paul Grimley earlier this year, are allowed to carry on these personal vendettas on a national medium is beyond me.

The funniest was earlier this year in the Ulster U21 final. McHugh was commenting on the game for some Donegal radio station. He spent the entire pre match building up McBrearty and his two sons that were playing.

Donegal lost the match and Jason McLoughlin had McBrearty in his pocket most of the game. Cue the bold wee Martin declaring at the end that Donegal would still go home the happier team because they had 3-4 players who would make an impact at senior level whereas Cavan had none!

That Cavan team included Jack Brady, Killian Clarke, Jason McLoughlin, Fergal Flanagan, Dara McVeety and Micharl Argue. Six lads who have all just had a great Summer with the seniors.

Martin is one bitter wee man.

I have to disagree with you about Mchugh. As a Cavanman I watched the game on BBC2 and found myself agreeing with his comments. You could sense the frustration in his voice, he was constantly on about "what Cavan need to be doing" and pointing out where they were going wrong. And I do remember him praising "a great score for Cavan" in the second half. He criticized Kerry too and he certainly got stuck into his own county later on.

For me he is one of the most shrewdest analysts of them all. Nobody goes into as much detail about positions, creating space etc. as he does.
    Sometimes he doesn't say nice things about the county your from but sometimes the truth hurts. In my opinion he definitly wanted the best for Cavan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

aghost wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you about Mchugh. As a Cavanman I watched the game on BBC2 and found myself agreeing with his comments. You could sense the frustration in his voice, he was constantly on about "what Cavan need to be doing" and pointing out where they were going wrong. And I do remember him praising "a great score for Cavan" in the second half. He criticized Kerry too and he certainly got stuck into his own county later on.

For me he is one of the most shrewdest analysts of them all. Nobody goes into as much detail about positions, creating space etc. as he does.
    Sometimes he doesn't say nice things about the county your from but sometimes the truth hurts. In my opinion he definitly wanted the best for Cavan.

The best pundit in the game is Ciaran Whelan tbh. I don't think once did McHugh even mention that Kerry were operating a blanket defence.

Over on another forum there's a thread where people are berating him and his negativity towards Cavan. I was also looking at Twitter comments from during the game and people seem to have found him harsh.

In 70 minutes of football, you can remember one compliment he gave Cavan for example.

From actually being in the stadium during the game, there was a real feeling at one stage that Cavan could mount a comeback. With 15 minutes to go, there was still only 5 points in it. Cavan had the majority of the possession.

Senan Connell for TV3 conveyed this. McHugh didn't at all.

Advertisement