Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for new cloth nappy user?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We have more leaks with disposable one too,and they smell funny. Sometime I think she's done a poo at night but its the chemical smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

lazygal wrote: »
    We have more leaks with disposable one too,and they smell funny. Sometime I think she's done a poo at night but its the chemical smell.

I find the kind of netting/mesh thing inside the nappy gets stuck to his skin too with disposables (pampers). He had a terrible nappy rash in his first few weeks (i had to get prescription cream from my GP). I feel like the reusable ones are nicer on his skin too. I'm loving the cloth so far!

Just had another poo explosion, apart from some wicking on one leg the cloth nappy contained it well - such a difference to the disposable one from earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Guestboarder

Sorry to drag up this convo again but I too am considering using cloth nappies for my baba when he/she comes. The posts have been really helpful and I'm getting my head around it all.
    One question Im stuck on is what type of cloth nappies did everyone find to be the best??
    I've seen that there re pocket nappies, all in ones, nappy and cover system etc...
    If anyone can advise me on which they found to be the best I'd be very grateful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Sorry to drag up this convo again but I too am considering using cloth nappies for my baba when he/she comes. The posts have been really helpful and I'm getting my head around it all.
    One question Im stuck on is what type of cloth nappies did everyone find to be the best??
    I've seen that there re pocket nappies, all in ones, nappy and cover system etc...
    If anyone can advise me on which they found to be the best I'd be very grateful!

I like pocket nappies for day and a two part system (tots bots stretch bamboozles with a blueberry wrap) with extra boosting for night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I use two part nappies (Little Lambs) and pocket nappies. I like the Little Lambs for nights, when I'm babywearing (as I find pockets are more likely to leak if he is on me for long times) and for play times when my son might do anything that is 'crotch dangly' like go in a jumperoo or bouncer as they spread his weight more evenly and provide him with more of a seat. I use pockets for quick changes when we're out. I also usually provide pre-stuffed pockets if anyone else is changing his nappy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Hi there. I'm about to start cloth nappies for my 3 month old and would love to hear how others are doing with cloth. I just read this thread and would like some more recent info. I've got the flip covers and stay-dry inserts. Does it make s lot of difference what they are washed in? Reg detergent vs the special detergents? Do you ever bleach the nappies? I was recommended to bleach them once a month, which horrified my mother. Do the inserts take long to dry indoors? For anyone using cloth wipes, what ones did you find good? Any other info would be great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Hello! I've been using cloth for the past 6 months on my boy. I'm finding it grand, the odd little leak every now and again. We use BUm genius free times, elementals and tots bits mainly. I used flips on. Holiday but found them useless for us.
    The general guidelines on washing are no softener s except clay based ( chemical word begins with a z but can't remember) no gel / liquid. A common brand that meets all requirements is bold 2 in 1 lavender powder. A lot use ecosprout available from babame online.

Bleaching is only done in the us. They have diluted bleach. Never heard of anyone over here doing it. The sun will take out any stains.

I rinse on cold, wash at 60 with full dose of powder, then a rinse again. If you have soft water you may not need a full dose of powder.

I use cheeky wipes. You can get a great set. I got the bamboo man size ones and they are brill!

I hang everything to dry on an airer near a rad and open window. Microfibres dries in less than 24 hours. Bamboo takes a little longer. Tumble drying can ruin the elastic s and pul so isn't advised.

You should join some of the Facebook groups they are great for info. Cloth nappy chat group ireland is one to start with!

Thanks a mill, dori! Great info! I am living in the US where I heard about the bleach. I'll check out one of the Facebook groups. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Oh ok. In the us if you don't use an approved brand of powder your warranty is void! I know bumgenius do one. Also heard many people use tide.

Lots of US Facebook groups out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I just did a trial for 2 weeks which I would really recommend before investing in them. I was told to use a non bio detergent and only use half the normal amount. I found they were not for me!

• Advertisement

Oh I didn't know that about the warranty, must look into it more cheers.

Thanks millem, good to hear all sides. I bought a few first to try and they seemed to go OK. Fingers crossed it continues :)

Advertisement