Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red Cards 'Rescinded' for Extra Time

• 04-08-2013 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

Is it time this rule was looked at if the GAA are serious about clamping down on cynical fouling? Tyrone were reduced to 13 players in normal time in the minor this afternoon but re-emerge with 15 to go on and win in extra time. In my opinion this is effectively rewarding a team for misbehaviour and simply does not add up. Under the current rules a team can tactically foul and receive red cards late in a game when playing for a draw safe in the knowledge that they will have 15 again for ET.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

There seems needed a whole new set of rules & regulations revamped in the GAA, That above is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

I wasn't at the minor game so can't comment on the nature of the fouling but the Kerry supporter I spoke to was beside himself with rage. Will be interesting to see if anybody at the match can provide an opinion in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Commented on this yesterday This makes it worth it to do players in in the last two minutes when level Ridiculous rule Thought it had been changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

The argument traditionally was that extra-time was seen as a "new game" therefore 15 v 15.

However as far as I'm aware yellow cards in the original 70 minutes do carry forward into extra time!

Choochtown wrote: »

However as far as I'm aware yellow cards in the original 70 minutes do carry forward into extra time!

I think you're correct on the above as I recall it happening in the Waterford v Cork minor hurling game this summer. This makes the position even more ridiculous and untenable, if ET is a new game then why do cards carry through? To take it a step further, you can have a man sent off in normal time but retain your full complement for ET yet receive a yellow in ET and be down to 14 men!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Yellow cards and reds do carry into extra time but sent off players can be replaced, the ref must receive a new team sheet its basically a new game, another messy rule in the GAA, the Rule book is not even called "Rule Book", its called the Official Guide,.
    So its only a guide!!!
    How many supporters/players do you know that have actually seen a "rule book".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

doz wrote: »
    In my opinion this is effectively rewarding a team for misbehaviour and simply does not add up.
    I disagree completely with a team being rewarded for misbehaviour. The player ordered off if its a straight red will receive a minimum 2 week ban and straight red or 2 yellows will not be able to play in Extra Time.

I don't think this rule specifically needs to be looked at to clamp down on cynical fouling but a more widespread look at the game (not specifically the rules already in place) in order to find a solution to clamp down on cynical fouling without slowing down the game or detracting from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

If you're sent off..you're sent off. This coming back on in extra time, after having a rest is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Lelantos wrote: »
    If you're sent off..you're sent off. This coming back on in extra time, after having a rest is rubbish.
    If you are sent off you can't come back on in Extra Time.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I disagree completely with a team being rewarded for misbehaviour. The player ordered off if its a straight red will receive a minimum 2 week ban and straight red or 2 yellows will not be able to play in Extra Time.

The individual player is being punished, fair enough, but the offending team is benefiting. I don't think a suspension etc for the Tyrone players is much consolation to Kerry today in their loss. They would have had a great chance in ET 15 v 13. Similarly I think Tyrone would be happy to incur the suspensions as they are through. And I'm not from Kerry in case anyone starts down that road...

• Advertisement

Kavrocks wrote: »
    If you are sent off you can't come back on in Extra Time.

Poorly worded, but sentiment remains. You shouldn't be allowed replace a player who's been sent off, it makes a mockery of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Lelantos wrote: »
    Poorly worded, but sentiment remains. You shouldn't be allowed replace a player who's been sent off, it makes a mockery of the game
    You need to get a proposal into the next Congress and get it passed, its in the rules and thats what the ref will go by.

Choochtown wrote: »
    The argument traditionally was that extra-time was seen as a "new game" therefore 15 v 15.

A completely ridiculous argument tbh.

I suppose tbh yes they are amateurs and it would be tough to expect an extra 20 minutes out of 13 adults let alone youngsters but if it cuts out the cynical play then they need to review it of course. If its a 'new game' as they say then maybe the ref should be changed and the score-lines put back to zero apiece and played on a different day but it isn't because its extra time

macadam wrote: »
    You need to get a proposal into the next Congress and get it passed, its in the rules and thats what the ref will go by.

Congress....Fair play......yeah that's gonna happen ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

It's a stupid rule to regard et as a new ball game, can't believe it is still in place.

Advertisement