Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PND

Options
  • 04-08-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I really need some help. I strongly suspect I have PND. I cant eat, sleep, leave the house without a serious amount of effort. I'm irritable, overwhelmed and cry a lot during the day and night. My baby is 10 months old and I am breastfeeding

My partner helps when he wants to and just doesn't understand what is wrong with me. He gets annoyed with me and says mean things and storms off.

I am due to return to work in a few weeks and the thought of it makes me physically sick. I cannot afford to stay home with my child and she is being minded by my in laws who I don't feel will do a good job but again I don't feel like I have a choice.

I feel like a caged animal and I am getting more and more desperate.

To add to this I find it impossible to ask for help. I ask, I don't get the response I need so I shut up.

Please help me get my thoughts together. I don't know how I am going to cope with all I have now plus a full time job.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No one here can or is allowed to give you medical advise.
    Please go and talk to your gp or public health nurse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

If you feel you have pnd you have to talk to a gp or phn. Its the only way to start sifting through it.

As for the rest of the decisions. ..have you been pushed into the child care decision?Did you always feel like yiu weren't being listened to, or is this since giving birth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Both Cuidiu and nurture have invaluable pnd resources.
    A huge number of mothers experience pnd, so just know that you are not alone

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks Hannibal and liliq

While pregnant it was decided that in laws would care for baby. In the last year my MIL has become unwell with the effects of diabetes and it fairly plain to see that my FIL, while its obvious he loves my LO, he makes decisions sometimes that questionable. I also didn't realise how much I would love my child. Seems stupid to say it now but I'm only worried about her welfare because I just don't see her being cared for by them as the best thing

If anyone has any comments, either from personal experience or suggestions on how to help myself they would be very much welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for your replies Hannibal and liliq

Until my little one was born I had no real reservations about them minding her. But it was overnight they started doing really stupid things eg handing her to someone who had a lit cigarette in her hand or holding her while they fry something on the cooker or put her in a wheelbarrow for fun when she is at the stage she's trying to stand. If they do that when we are there, what would they do when we're not?!

My partner doesn't acknowledge my feelings in this and says I'm bring over sensitive. Am I?! If I bring it up it results in a huge row and my feelings or despair and being overwhelmed return. I mean do they have to injure the child before something gives? And I'm being treated like I'm being unreasonable!

Today is a good day but the weekend is around the corner and another week closer to having to leave her i can feel the panic and grief ruse as I type that

• Advertisement
Advertisement