Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I won't I

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Betsy Og wrote: »
    b) some people dont like towing (its not that bad, I do bleedin' hate snaking but if its a major factor for someone then a twin axel should sort it)

Saw some ridiculous towing this year, it should be illegal to tow without some form of stabiliser with the price of them theres no excuse.

Regarding the stigma, motorhomes seem to be catching on quickly in the travellling community a large proportion of motorhomes I've seen parked around the local aldi this summer and around ballinasloe have been owned by members of the travelling community, thats up from two (both local) I noticed last year. I always wondered why they weren't more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

paddyp wrote: »
    Saw some ridiculous towing this year, it should be illegal to tow without some form of stabiliser with the price of them theres no excuse.

How do you mean ridiculous?, were they speeding with the caravan waving all over the place, or a massive caravan being pulled by a Ford Fiesta?? (there's a great Youtube clip, think its called Big Caravan Small Car - basically car dragged backwards down a steep hill).

I find 90-95 KPH is about the upper limit before entering the 'sway zone'. We have the ALKO hitch stabiliser (as have most caravans), but thinking of getting that electronic braking unit. Other tips are:

1. Placing weight as low as possible and near the axle. (Less weight the better I suppose). Must get a nose weight guage.
    2. Keep the car as heavy as possible versus the caravan (decrease and tendancy to push). Just watch the back of the car isnt down on the back wheel!, get weight in front of the back axle of the car if possible.
    3. Dont speed (80kph is the legal limit in Ireland). Anything above 100kph is probably dangerous (with a single axle).
    4. A steep downhill is a significant risk factor, drop a gear (or 2), engine brake and go slow.
    5. Trucks are an annoyance - the 'suck in & push out' effect is exaggerated, often your first warning of being overtaken by a truck is a weird dragging sensation ... in your bowels:eek: Try to leave as much of a gap as possible, only overtake them on uphill - you're slow but they are slower (and watch you dont delay faster traffic behind).
    6. Crosswinds can bring on a sway, so slow down on high bridges, entering an elevated section of motorway, on a windy day etc.

So if you want to have a disaster then floor the accelerator to overtake a truck on a steep downhill somewhere windy, if you dont then go easy and you'll be fine.

Had one bad snake this year, fairly sure it was because 2 cars zoomed close by me at just the right interval so the initial sway got added to by the 2nd guy (I was only going about 80k), so about 10 gut wrenching seconds and one change of underwear later and we were through it. For the record, & all the official advice is consistent, if in a snake then:

1. Take your foot off the gas but dont brake (and if you find yourself instincitively braking then do so v v gently).
    2. Drop a gear ... gently.
    3. Wait for it to calm down, exhale, swear, narkily refute any suggestion that it was your fault:D.

Anyone who says "bury the accelerator to come out of it" is playing a v v high stakes game -dont do it - "the faster the speed the bigger the mess".

So there you have it, THE one bit I dont like about caravanning. That said, if you stay off motorways nearly all those risk factors fade back, so around Ireland it isnt such an issue. However if going long haul on the continent you either take chances, have a twin axle, or accept the fact that you'll have to putter along and take a long time to get there compared to your zooming motorhomer mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

5. Trucks are an annoyance - the 'suck in & push out' effect is exaggerated, often your first warning of being overtaken by a truck is a weird dragging sensation ... in your bowels:eek: Try to leave as much of a gap as possible, only overtake them on uphill - you're slow but they are slower (and watch you dont delay faster traffic behind)

Yes, noticed this a lot on latest outing with my CV too! Maybe because I was on the motorway a lot this time (not so much on prev 2 outings). At least there is no 'snake' with a CV!

On slight off-topic .... got flashed at by a truck I passed out. I hope this is the old trucker safety aid, where 1 truck will flash the other when the end of his trailer has passed the cab (so overtaker knows its safe to pull back in) ... do they still do that?

Yes, noticed this a lot on latest outing with my CV too! Maybe because I was on the motorway a lot this time (not so much on prev 2 outings). At least there is no 'snake' with a CV!

On slight off-topic .... got flashed at by a truck I passed out. I hope this is the old trucker safety aid, where 1 truck will flash the other when the end of his trailer has passed the cab (so overtaker knows its safe to pull back in) ... do they still do that?

Yes, flashing to let someone know its safe to return to the left lane is fairly standard practice & be sure to return the favour when a truck passes you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

No interest in caravanning

• Advertisement

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    No interest in caravanning

Care to elaborate?, just as a matter of general interest (I'm not an evangelist, you can close the door on me:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Will I won't I.

I did.
    I arrived home tonight to find my camper had been delivered, can't wait till the weekend.

Care to elaborate?, just as a matter of general interest (I'm not an evangelist, you can close the door on me:D).

It's a feeling 1
    Secondly I only just started thinking about a camper
    That itself is a step
    I drive for a living and would have no problem with the towing, reversing (we teach it) etc
    As an aside can,t agree or condone driving over 80 kmph while towing, anything!
    The camper idea is for my wife and I , no more berths (or births) planned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

paddyp wrote: »
    Regarding the stigma, motorhomes seem to be catching on quickly in the travellling community a large proportion of motorhomes I've seen parked around the local aldi this summer and around ballinasloe have been owned by members of the travelling community, thats up from two (both local) I noticed last year. I always wondered why they weren't more popular.

Gards can't take your caravan for having no tax...

se conman wrote: »
    Will I won't I.

I did.
    I arrived home tonight to find my camper had been delivered, can't wait till the weekend.

Well how's the Camper working out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Brilliant, we waited till we found the perfect one for us and after touring in it for a week and a few weekends away, we can't fault it or our choice in style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 the purdu

I bought a '95 6 berth a few months ago, best f**king thing I ve done in years.......

Advertisement